It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worlds weirdest statues

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Whilst searching for something to do i came across some interesting pictures of weird statues and decided to share them and include them in my World’s Most…. series. Below are the first 3 parts:
Clips & Pictures of the worlds weirdest creatures
Some of the world’s most Alien & Beautiful Landscapes
The world’s most Amazing Phenomena's
So sit back with a cuppa and marvel at these rather strange and funny statues lol

In front of the Ernst & Young building (Los Angeles)

Goslar Nailhead - Germany

Woman Suckling Deer

To see this statue in real life, you'll have to go to Fengdu, China

Oslo, Norway

Green Giants - Sylt, Germany

The Fonz - Milwaukee WI

Leaning tower of NZ

Man at work :This bronze statue is located in the pedestrian zone of Bratislava.

Location unknown but damn it looks weird lol

This next one is slightly disturbing
Its called The Kindlifresserbrunnen, or Child-Eater, fountain of Bern was built way back in the 16th century

The, Uh, Turd Monument -- Ponta Grossa, Brazil

That mind-boggling, giant turd-on-a-stick is called Cocozao. It's located in the unfortunate town of Ponta Grossa, and it's actually supposed to represent a local tree called the Araucaria pine hmmmmm lol

Prague Castle's Daliborka Tower – sorry but wtf lol

The Faceless Crawling Horror Babies – Prague

This one is actually kinda cool, this is at The Denver International Airport, It's a statue of a horse called El Mesteno, and its that it's 32 feet tall?

Aptly names The awakening in Washington DC - It's an insane-looking 100-foot giant (is that Uncle Sam?) screaming its lungs out while struggling against the ground.

Shark Dive - Here’s a statue from Oxford in the United Kingdom that boggles the mind. This represents a shark having a very bad day. Talk about your freak accidents!

Body Parts in the Water?
This ones a weird one think if I saw it I would freak out lol - located in Stockholm, Sweden and currently only consists of two body parts.

Ever Wonder What Really Lurks Under Bridges?
Did you ever hear the children’s story “Three Billy Goat’s Gruff”? Despite the structure’s name, “Freemont Troll” or “Troll Under the Bridge”, this troll isn’t under the Freemont Bridge, but is underneath the Arora Bridge in Seattle, Washington. To give you a better idea of the huge mass of this piece, I should mention that the troll is grabbing onto a real Volkswagon Beetle.

The Angel of the North –
located near Gateshead, Tyne & Wear in England, United Kingdom. It is 20 meters in height, I remember when this was built I was like wtf lol

To round of the thread for now At the Khmer temple/Buddhist sanctuary at Uthumphon Phisai, there are some strange statues. There was no explanation for their existence or for their meaning. To me they are kinda disturbing

Well that’s all folks
hope you enjoyed the little distraction, and as always share any others you find x

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Wow Ronishia, that's quite the collection! Thanks, this was very entertaining.
It does make me wonder about both the artists and whoever commissioned some of them.
There's some very disturbed people out there!
The babies creeped me out, totally.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Nice topic, although I never like "the worlds....." topic names because well that's too subjective.

Having seen a number of statues from this thread in real I can tell you there are A LOT of other statues that can be added without hesitating.

Some weird, big and possibly the most expensive statues I've seen in the Netherlands.

edit on 14-10-2011 by FriendlyGopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The ones from the Buddhist sanctuary at the end..are very disturbing..

I found most of them disturbing...on this thread.

Its funny how tax payers most likely pay for a good portion of these, and then they have to put up with the grotesque sight of them.

I think they should have votes on what sort of art goes up from the tax payers..if they are the ones actually paying for it...and it is being displayed on public property.

Thanks for sharing op

(I still can't believe the ones they allowed into the Buddhist sanctuary...I thought buddhists were nice people
)
edit on 14-10-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I dont know if any of the ones i am about to post are duplicates of what you have put up because my internet is crazy slow today, and it would take about 30 minutes for them to load. Ill check them out later. But I saw these the other day and maybe there are some more that you havent seen yet. Ill just post the link

Some of the Strangest Statues in the World

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The last pics from the Buddhist temples are f-reaky!

Good thread though..A lot of those statues are pretty cool.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Those crawling babies are creepy!! And I agree with others about the pics from the Buddhist temple.

The "Man at Work" reminded me of one that is in Downtown Knoxville. "Oarsman"

about "The Oarsman"

OiO
edit on 14-10-2011 by OneisOne because: add photo instead of link

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

The babies were the creepiest statues of em all! Thankfully babies are anything but creepy in real life. Love me some babez.

The demon-eyed horse statue of death at DIA is also VERY creepy. Why, WHY would that thing be placed at an airport of all places?
There's already enough anxiety associated with flying thousands of feet in the air!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
How about the epic coolness of the Woking Martian Tripod.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

(I still can't believe the ones they allowed into the Buddhist sanctuary...I thought buddhists were nice people
)
edit on 14-10-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

My guess is that they are hungry ghosts. From wiki:

The Hungry Ghosts are probably the most vividly drawn metaphors in the Wheel of Life. Phantomlike creatures with withered limbs, grossly bloated bellies, and long thin necks, the Hungry Ghosts in many ways represent a fusion of rage and desire. Tormented by unfulfilled cravings and insatiably demanding of impossible satisfactions, the Hungry Ghosts are searching for gratification for old unfulfilled needs whose time has passed. They are beings who have uncovered a terrible emptiness within themselves, who cannot see the impossibility of correcting something that has already happened. Their ghostlike state represents their attachment to the past.[1]

All the Chronos-themed statues give me the willies. Even though it's an apt metaphor for time: that which eats its own young.
edit on 14-10-2011 by mistermonculous because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Very cool..very imaginative..this is my favorite
although this one is pretty impressive!

I wonder how they did it?
edit on 14-10-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Fun thread. Thanks:

From Prague:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Wow Roni,

That's some pretty strange statues!

How about these guys we have downtown Toronto? I took this pic in 2009.

The 7 Courtyard Cows
edit on 14-10-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
awsome guys some great additions there

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing while browsing through the pictures. My guess would be that they're cast molds with a/or a couple thick steel rod ran through them, and buried deep into the concrete or base surface. Cool thread though thanks.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Great thread thanks for sharing, first time I've seen a lot of these. What's with the giant crap in Brazil? That's insane. And the Angel of the North? Can someone explain to me why the wind doesn't blow that over?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Cool thread some of these statues go from funny, to creapy, to WTF. to
. There was a thread by speculativeoptimist some time ago about a bunch of statues under water, that reminded me of something I cant quite place or put my finger on what it reminds me of, but were cool and weird none the less.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
some of those are hilarious others are just downright spooky.

i especially love the one of the guy coming out of the sewer to trip the other guys foot.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Wow these were some great pics..Some of these artists i think are a bit disturbed the ones from the Buddhist temples are the strangest to me and freaky ..Thanks for the thread it was very entertaining..Peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

from an art project [ temporary ] in liverpool [ UK ] superlambananas

from manchester [ UK ] b of the bang

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join