It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Sad Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Luckily, music is a common factor in peoples lives to unite us. I admit there are faults in the business.

I had a meeting with some record execs back in August, and despite the fact they loved my lyrics and music, it wasn't "pop-py" enough to sell to the teens of the world.

So, instead I continue to make music for people who want to hear strong lyrics with a good beat... which needless to say, I am unemployed as of now.. lol

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

well talk about suck.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I will 2nd that!!!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by moonpoet

See, that's what I'm talking about. There is no reason for that.

When The Cure wanted to release their Disintegration album, the record label threw a fit, called it "Commercial suicide". But, they released it anyway, and it went on to be their best album. What happened to that? There's no reason they shouldn't take a risk on your music.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

Thanks... I've been hoping for the same thing.

The music business is a joke these days... I'm glad to see someone out there has good taste still

If you get bored, you can check some of my stuff out... www.reverbnation.com/awokenonez

Peace!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Well you definitely have a gift for combining multiple genres into a unique style. That takes talent. Unfortunately, the labels tend to want something more clear-cut and easily definable.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

Believe me, I've heard first hand!

I was at a conference with every lil wayne wannabe... And dont get me wrong I love Lil Wayne, even though at heart I'm a rock n roll boy! Point is, all the people I heard were horrible but I watched three of them get contracts that day...

Oh well, I'm doing my music for me, if anything comes out of it great, if not... I will keep on doing what I do...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepixelgarden

See, that's what I'm talking about. There is no reason for that.

When The Cure wanted to release their Disintegration album, the record label threw a fit, called it "Commercial suicide". But, they released it anyway, and it went on to be their best album. What happened to that? There's no reason they shouldn't take a risk on your music.

Well for one that isn't how things work these days. If you are an artist with niche appeal rather than a broad spectrum you pimp yourself out and gather a fanbase. You don't have to wait for some A&R guy to get you on the radio like it is 1957 anymore.

If Aaron Funk had by some miracle been signed to a major label he wouldn't have done nearly as well. Why? Because he knows how to market himself and his product better than any label. He has slowed down lately but for a while there he was releasing like 2-3 albums per year.

Long story short you have to know how to market yourself before others will even think of it. But if you do know how then why even bother getting someone else to do it for you?

You guys seem like you are taking this personally when for these people it is purely a business. They aren't on an evil crusade to ruin music or personally piss you specifically off. They are trying to make money end of story. If you want pure untainted music join a drum circle, if you want to make money from your craziness be prepared to surrender creative control. That is how it has been in the music industry FOREVER. Don't slag off lady gaga and then moan that labels wont do the same for you. You just want it both ways.

Chris Onstad, Ben Crosshaw, Karin Dreijer, Richard D. James, Charlie Brooker. All of these people have been successful at marketing their own particular brand of crazy to surprisingly large audiences. If you can't do it you aren't trying hard enough, or you are just really boring.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Oh well, I'm doing my music for me, if anything comes out of it great, if not... I will keep on doing what I do...

See that is your problem right there. If you are going to go for it, go for it 100%. You can't go half way and then whine about it. You sound like the kind of person who just sits there lamenting that no one can see your talent. You gotta sell yourself man. Independent or top 40 that is the way it goes.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

I appreciate the response. Alas, I am not whining. You see, I am of an age considered to old to rock, have too many commitments to chase this dream. In fact, I'm not even trying to sell myself. This music was made simply for the reason I love making music. I've been bashed, called third rate music, told how horrible it is, but I continue to make because I do enjoy it. And believe it or not, I actually have a fair number of fans who continue to enjoy what I do.

Regardless... I don''t even mind the negativity, as proof I push forward. Took a gamble to see if anyone on ATS would enjoy (started another thread where I was nuked) and learned that the ones who responded aren't receptive... Oh well, the great gift of life keeps giving, my kids rock out to me... and that alone is worth more than gold!

Peace, be well my friends...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonpoet
Oh well, the great gift of life keeps giving, my kids rock out to me... and that alone is worth more than gold!

I KNOW RIGHT?! Dude, my son gets this song I wrote stuck in his head and he hums it... how awesome is that???

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepixelgarden

Originally posted by moonpoet
Oh well, the great gift of life keeps giving, my kids rock out to me... and that alone is worth more than gold!

I KNOW RIGHT?! Dude, my son gets this song I wrote stuck in his head and he hums it... how awesome is that???

That is great! I love walking into a room and hearing one of my kids belting out one of my tunes. To me, that is worth more than anything... Hence when it comes to people wanting to bash my music, they have no idea what joy its brought me...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I was attracted to Don Mcleans American pie song when I was very young because of the that beautiful melanchoilc vocal at the start, some would find it depressing and never listen further by choice.

Music can be learned by everyone...but we should all accept that just because people buy more rap records than classical records , just means they get more out Rap than Classical.

Whether thats due to ignorance or not its their choice.

Beauty in music is in the ear of the listener, that is decided by their heart and soul.

And we all change with time.

There are songs out there on home musos computers/tape machines that would blow us away but we will never hear them , because songwriters don't want talented newcomers to take their share of a tight market away.

Many don't realise that some artists pay to be heard they are millionares darlings and sons.

Many songs we think are wriiten by a band are written by silent songwriters, who have to sign an agreement to give all credit to a band/artist in return for a percentage of sales.

Such is life.
edit on 5-11-2011 by Dr Expired because: deletion of words

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I find this very eerily creepy...Pop music is essentially a drug..

Yes, pop music is basically cranial crack, to the point that scientists have actually been able to predict which songs would become big sellers by hooking kids up to an MRI scanner and playing previously unheard pop tunes for them. When a future hit came on, the pleasure center of the brain lit up like a Christmas tree.

5 things you do every day that are actually addictions

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join