It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone getting a strange reality disconnection feeling?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by KatieVA
Just read up about depersonalization disorder and it seems to ring very true, actually. Particularly where it says that:

Depersonalization disorder is often comorbid with anxiety disorders, panic disorders, clinical depression and bipolar disorder.

Maybe it's depression for me.. Thanks for this post.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Wow, ok
Just read some more...

The core symptom of depersonalization disorder is the subjective experience of unreality, and as such there are no clinical signs. Common descriptions are: watching oneself from a distance; out-of-body experiences; a sense of just going through the motions; feeling as though one is in a dream or movie; not feeling in control of one's speech or physical movements; and feeling detached from one's own thoughts or emotions.[5] Individuals with the disorder commonly describe a feeling as though time is 'passing' them by and they are not in the notion of the present. These experiences which strike at the core of a person's identity and consciousness may cause a person to feel uneasy or anxious.

That pretty much matches what I originally said above! Oh dear, hope I'm not losing my marbles

Lol you and me both.. I'm going to look into this some more.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I had an out of body experience where I had an encounter with a what appeared to be me in the near future.

In that reality, everything seemed so fluid like, pretty much dissociated, if you'd like, there was physicality to some degree.

Suffice to say, this are indeed signs of what's to come. I personally am having more of this experience than I have ever had experience.

In other words, we are on the verge of shift from a 3D reality to a higher dimensional state of existence, whereby reality will seem so dissociated. Perhaps, the end of this material world as we know it.

Peace

edit on 14-10-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Just read up about depersonalization disorder and it seems to ring very true, actually. Particularly where it says that:

Depersonalization disorder is often comorbid with anxiety disorders, panic disorders, clinical depression and bipolar disorder.

and:

Depersonalization disorder is thought to be largely caused by severe traumatic lifetime events including childhood sexual, physical, and emotional abuse

There are actually 2 conditions that are closely related, 1 being depersonalisation and the other being derealisation. I haven't experienced the depersonalisation, however, a couple of years ago i went through a really bad "anxiety" phase and suffered from the derealisation. I don't necessarily put it down to anxiety though, i mainly put it down to the mental impact on me by realising that this world and the way it works is very far from what i thought and was used too...i began to see everything differently.

Derealisation

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I'm actually extremely grateful for the OP for starting this thread, and the person who posted the depersonalization disorder link. I've sat and read all about depersonalization disorder and almost feel like crying my eyes out, because I'm so relieved to find that I can completely relate to it and know now that I'm not losing my mind. I've just bought myself a book and a dvd that are highly recommended. It's funny because last night, I was sitting and talking to my boyfriend about how I'm so fed up with feeling so numb and not having any "nice" feelings or emotions and right there in the description of the disorder is, " they have an emotional disconnection from those they care about".

It's like, I love my son and my boyfriend sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, they are both my world and my everything, but for some horrible reason, I can't feel anything - I'm just completely, completely numb. I never used to be like this, I used to feel all emotions SO intensely, too intensely in fact.

So much horrible stuff has happened in my life, my sister and I suffered emotional abuse as children and teenagers and there have been a few other traumatising experiences since I've been out of that situation too. I just assumed that my mind had stopped me feeling as a "defense mechanism", but coupled with all the other feelings I've had over the past 8 months or so, the not feeling like I'm in my body, the feeling like I'm on the outside watching myself live my life, the feeling like nothing is real and I don't belong here, the feeling like I haven't been here for the past 8 months and haven't experienced anything...it all makes perfect, perfect sense.

It was so hard for me to work out what was going on with my mind, because it's not like I'm depressed at all. I'm not miserable or unhappy about anything - in fact, everything is going so brilliantly for me at the moment, the best it ever has actually, for the first time in my life! But it's like there's a big wall up around me, stopping me from actually feeling the happy feelings of love and joy I should be feeling.

Anyway this has turned into me pouring my heart out on a public forum, which is really not cool
But yeah, thank you so much for posting this, I really am grateful.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
reply to post by phiktion

in psychology they refer to this as dissociation.

and more and more people are experiencing it! It is a sign of the times!
Yes. I do feel that way. I know its happening, but i'm kinda watching a movie.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by phiktion
I'll try to explain how this feels as best as possible, it kind of feels like when your viewing anything it kinda seems pasted onto the background, maybe cooking food, or watching a person walk by. I get these moments where my body either feels very large and my consciousness feels very small, or my body feels small and my consciousness feels big, kinda warping my reality.

Besides depersonalization and dissociation (that had been suggested to you), you might wanna consider something else - AWARENESS (consciousness). This usually happens to people who are becoming more aware to their surrounding - their lives, to be exact. To people who question about life - to people who are becoming aware, that life is superficial, somehow. To people who question what really matters in life - material? Physical? Spiritual? To people who seek - 'what lies behind the curtain'. To people, who have started to question - 'is there more to life, than just meets the eyes?'

You can choose to ignore, and return to where you once were. Or, you can take the risk, and proceed. There is no guarantee what you will find. Sometimes, the journey worths more, than the destination.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I used to get that "I feel tiny" feeling when I would get in bed to go to sleep , ever since I was a teenager.

When I closed my eyes I would sense that the space I was in was massive....empty ,black ,dark and I was tiny sitting in this space. It was a strange feeling for sure.
Sometimes I can get that feeling back while laying down for the night.
It's kinda cool and kinda creepy all at once.

Great post , ty!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I would suggest talking to a counselor who specializes in ptsd, anxiety and trauma about it first, see where it leads you.

Not to sound scary but, I would also suggest getting an MRI head scan.

Unless you are harming your self or becoming harmful of others while in that state, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bet just doing some face to face talking with an un-biased source who is professionaly trained in these matters (not someone who has to google to fit symptoms with a diag), would help you feel more grounded and will give you some tools in which to control the experience.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that your body and you subconscious mind have ways in which to protect and give you information that you can handle. With that said, the combination of symptoms you described might be a precursor to a medical condition. Or perhaps you have some repressed memories that are coming out in the form of dissociative behavior. Regardless of what is causing it, it is happening for a reason.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I've been gettting this horrible thing lately where I feel as if I'm in a fast-breaking vehicle. This is followed by a qualitative change in my environment; including weird color changes (like, a whole other spectrum, difficult to convey), glowing fields around objects, strange odors, and a strong sensation of suddenly being somewhere else.

I go from zero to fully-gonna-hork in a few seconds. Also, I usually have a terrible headache afterward.

I have to close my eyes, and imagine how things were before. Which seems to "reset" the environment.

I don't know what's going on, and it scares the bejeezus out of me.
edit on 14-10-2011 by mistermonculous because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

You should take some classes in perceptive awareness.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
About a year and a half ago I bought a new TV LCD flat screen and would get the same effect you see in this video. At first I thought it was me and I was really freaking out a bit. People look awkward or too realistic! Finally I found the setting that creates a low frame rate but smooths the video and turned it off. Back to normal or a bit better as it was in HD...

HD video is ultra vivid ok? This video is shot in HD...but it has a lower frame rate. So while he appears crisp his movements can be somewhat jerky. So we see this static very very clear background and see him (making already strange movements) coupled with the HD and low frames and it looks SUREAL!

It's ok...

Now for the feeling I have that too you are becoming more aware and you have some hyper anxiety especially if you are just out of the military (a heightened feeling of emotions due to the routine even if you never saw combat).

RELAX! Learn to meditate or have thoughtful prayer, either will help you. Deep soothing breaths and a calm bath, maybe lying perfectly flat on the floor for a little bit focusing on your breathing. It will feel weird for a bit but stay with it until you relax or fall asleep lol.

Again it’s ok.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

The course fee: $700.00(U.S.) includes a student workbook and tapes.

Mm, looks a little snake-oily to me, but thank you.

I'll just hang tough. It doesn't occur more often than 1x a week.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
As humans, we can detect our own vibrational frequencies. I think what you're experiencing, is the effect of an oscillation that is well out of sync with our current 3-dimensional reality. In other words, your soul/consciousness is vibrating at a much faster rate than the rest of the physical world (even your body).

Have you by any chance experienced the 11:11 phenomenon?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistermonculous
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

The course fee: $700.00(U.S.) includes a student workbook and tapes.

Mm, looks a little snake-oily to me, but thank you.

I'll just hang tough. It doesn't occur more often than 1x a week.

Snake oily
I like that.

You googled it and picked the first one that came up didn't you

I mean do some research and find information on it, some inside tips, tools to help you ground yourself and keep yourself grounded. That's all

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by phiktion

everything is starting to lose its meaning, I mean I have been a pretty depressed and high anxiety person from after being deployed overseas twice ...

Poor girl. Softly strokes feathers. I think you hit it on the head there. PTSS. Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I had it after a car wreck once. You feel like your just outside of you watching you, watching your hands move, etc. Very funny feeling.

The military life you have lived is very controlling of your every waking moment. From boot camp thru deployment they have molded and formed your mind, opinions, and actions thru carefully controlled activity. Let alone the deployments. Now that phase of your life is ending and your brain and body are getting these wow moments like your out of place with yourself. Prisoners report feeling that after they are released too.

Sounds like it is beginning to fade and over time these episodes will return a little weaker each time. Go with it, there is nothing wrong with you or your diet, etc. Don't worry, I can see you are handling it. Sometimes you just have to got thru the motions, and act as if everything is OK. It will pass. You may have sweats or sudden floods of emotion too, like anger or fear, just watch it and let it flow over you without reacting. You have been thru a lot. I would melt. You are much stronger than I.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

I used to get that when I lay down to sleep. Not so much anymore now that I'm older, or out of touch?
I think its humbleness. How small we are compared to the whole. When balanced with awareness of our own individuality that is a good thing. We are small and yet important. Thats a good awareness, i think.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

I am not a doctor but that "sounds like" a medical condition to me. I would have that checked out by a physician before it gets any worse.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yeah, I've considered that. The first time it occurred (2 mos. or so ago), I was quite ill, and I was on cold meds (which have a pronounced effect on me). I blamed the NyQuil and carried on. Until it happened again a few days later while stone sober.

Here's why I'm reluctant to shell out for an exam:

1) The absence of any other debilitating symptoms.
2) The periodic nature of the phenomenon.
3) The short durtation of these episodes.
4) I'm none too keen on doctors.
5) An absence of corresponding symptoms on the webmd (gotta love that self-diagnosing).

But, who knows, maybe I've got a pea-sized brain tumor or the like.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join