It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone getting a strange reality disconnection feeling?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I'll try to explain how this feels as best as possible, it kind of feels like when your viewing anything it kinda seems pasted onto the background, maybe cooking food, or watching a person walk by. I get these moments where my body either feels very large and my consciousness feels very small, or my body feels small and my consciousness feels big, kinda warping my reality.

My friend sent me this video today www.youtube.com... and this really is almost what I'm talking about if you kind of take in the whole image of the guy dancing and not focus on one part of his body and notice how its like hes fake or the background is fake.

Its not just visual illusion that seems to be created as I have never had this issue before, its happening all the time to me now over the past few weeks, I can't do almost anything without things seeming like they are sliding out of place or floating slowing by, everything is starting to lose its meaning, I mean I have been a pretty depressed and high anxiety person from after being deployed overseas twice and then getting into the various type of fear type information that is out there, but over the past 5-6 months it has decreased to where I don't even notice it anymore basically its completely gone, and I'm actually under alot more stress and having more and more responsibilities stacked on me where I would normally not be able to handle that isn't really causing me any grief that I can think of.

Just to put this in perspective I would get high anxiety just walking outside, no reason for it nothing bad going on in my life, I mean I learned to just deal with it, but I have none of that anymore, I mean in a one day period I had my car towed, my MacBook died and I needed it for school, I'm getting out of the army so my pay is stopped, and the army lost about 5,000$ worth of equipment and I been waiting almost a month past the time I was supposed to be out waiting on this paper work to clear those charges from me. Honestly 6-7 months ago I would of probably been in bad shape but I'm really not bother by any of this, I mean I got credit cards, phone bill, car payments due in days but none of this is really stressing me out.

Only thing that I can think is how crazy my perception of this reality is shifting during everything I do, and I'm not even trying to have it happen I just keep noticing weird visual things and body feeling like its growing, separating, moving away.. I don't know hard to describe, maybe some of you understand what I am talking about.

Also it feels very weird maybe over the past week or two when I wash my hands or take a shower the water feels differently on my skin. Not sure if there is medically something wrong with me, I don't feel like anything is wrong with me I feel healthy, I don't do anything that can really cause me health problems and I feel I keep my mental acuity is good as I play piano regularly and make music that definitely works my brain to the max on a regular basis.

I don't feel smarter then I normally am or dumber just different, I feel slightly more focused than normal, I don't take any medications or anything like that, not sure if I have a vitamin deficiency or what, I eat vegatables, meat, fruit cover all the basis on that front... its just weird!
edit on 14-10-2011 by phiktion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I feel that way sometimes, but other times I feel perfectly "In the zone", like whatever I'm doing at that moment is effortless. However, in my case I think it has to do with my blood sugar, which varies wildly. And the video? That's just an extraordinarily talented dancer. Damn he's good.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by phiktion

in psychology they refer to this as dissociation.

and more and more people are experiencing it! It is a sign of the times!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
I feel that way sometimes, but other times I feel perfectly "In the zone", like whatever I'm doing at that moment is effortless. However, in my case I think it has to do with my blood sugar, which varies wildly. And the video? That's just an extraordinarily talented dancer. Damn he's good.

That video freaks me out I can't watch it.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Yep, been having this happen more and more since the end of May when it started for me and my best friend.

Looooong story behind that one, that due to the TOS of Above Top Secret I cannot post. :/

If anyone wants to read it, I'll try putting it up somewhere. I just need to edit it.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Disassociation caused by anxiety, i get it a lot, your mind is somewhere, but it feels like your body is not, or the other way round, hard to explain. Very unsettling at times.

You will learn to control it, took me three years, just tell yourself it's all in your mind.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

dissociation can be caused from many things. not just anxiety.

most people describe it as being automated...feeling as though they are 'on auto pilot'

I feel media and 'our' present reality has a lot to answer for. People can dissociate because they are fearful of things...and when you look at the fear the media is pumping out... we got 3 generations having problems.

I always 'ground' myself by focusing on nature, the birds etc - things like that and try to push out the media imput.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
This has happened to me and it seems to be happening more lately. The other day I was sitting out talking with my husband, everything seemed to appear like a canvas or maybe a sticker board and he was the sticker ( hope this makes sense ). It was like I could Peel him off the background. Even the background was not right it seemed a little to flat. Maybe I'm crazy lol.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I myself have experienced what you are feeling. It's almost like the matrix; a reality that you have stopped moving in at times and thought to yourself "is this real?"

I find it liberating and concerning; being free of the rituals of everyday life and just observing how the world around you really works, or concerning that your loosing ground and becoming out of touch with reality. Interesting feeling though!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Its called the "Eye of Buddha", it is a state in which perception is skewed, and your mind can become as large as the universe or as small as an atom. I'm not saying its a "chosen" kind of thing or anything, but I remember researching it because I can't sleep when it happens. I am sure it has a few other names.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Could also be Depersonalization Disorder

If it continues, maybe you should see a mental health professional just to make sure everything is alright.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by phiktion

I`ve been like this for a while now, youll see the lights soon, there cool , but scary , you havnt mentioned them so im guessing you havnt noticed them , but youll see them, focus on 1 spot in the sky, dont watch a cloud or a star , in daylight , focus on one clear spot of sky, theyre there, they fade when they go behind the clouds.
Nothing`s real anymore , THEY LIVE .

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I spend half my days floating in and out of that state, but i spend most of my day in a lab on my own and i think its largely caused by the fact i spend too much time on my own doing repetitive tasks. Its very weird when someone talks to me whilst in that state i'm listening but there is so much more going on in your head its hard to focus on what they are actually saying. i seem to absorb everything once my focus is on them especially there emotional state, its very distracting to be honest but so interesting (probably why its distracting
) if i didn't do it i'd probably double my work rate but meh, i do what is needed of me to a good standard.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Yeah, I suppose if she is having this bleed into daily life with the mental issues (I am not calling her crazy, I just don't know what else to call it), you bring up a good point.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I'm relieved I'm not the only one.

I've been feeling quite worried about my brain, really.
It's like, 8 months have just zoomed past and I actually feel like I haven't been here and I didn't experience any of it.

I've been having weird thoughts and feelings about how none of this is real and it doesn't belong. The other day I was looking at my boyfriend as he was speaking to me and I felt like I was watching him on a tv screen. That description doesn't do it justice really, but it's the best I can think of. It kind of felt like...I was watching me watch him. Does that make sense?

To be honest, all sorts of major changes have gone on in my life, and I don't deal with change well at all. I also have an anxiety disorder and have been under bucket loads of stress, so I've put it all down to that. But it's odd. Kind of feels like I don't belong here, in this reality anymore and I feel desperate to do things to "ground" myself, back into my own life.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I once had a very strong sense of disconnection when I had my 2 debit cards, credit card and my id in my hands looking at them, they seemed like to me that they were triggering some kind of memory looking at the black card, blue card, green card and my white military id with my picture that seemed like pieces of a puzzle, very strange feeling for something so miniscule but it felt like these items I've known about their existence before I've had them at that time.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
reply to post by woogleuk

dissociation can be caused from many things. not just anxiety.

most people describe it as being automated...feeling as though they are 'on auto pilot.

WOW! I was at work just a couple days ago working.. My manager playfully asks, "Whatcha doin?" from across the sales floor. I say.. "I'm on auto-pilot right now." He says, "Auto-pilot? Hmm.." Wow.. didn't think it was something.. lol

I usually feel like time speeds up exponentially while I'm in this mode.. I've been feeling this way since... like April.. very weird. At least I'm not alone haha.

Thanks for posting OP. S&F

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Although, I never feel anxious at all.. There isn't really anything that freaks me out either. I'm just... floating around playing with my thoughts in the back of my head as my body functions. Not really anything i can control either..

SN: This post was supposed to be an edit to my last post but I screwed up

edit on 14-10-2011 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Just read up about depersonalization disorder and it seems to ring very true, actually. Particularly where it says that:

Depersonalization disorder is often comorbid with anxiety disorders, panic disorders, clinical depression and bipolar disorder.

and:

Depersonalization disorder is thought to be largely caused by severe traumatic lifetime events including childhood sexual, physical, and emotional abuse

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Wow, ok
Just read some more...

The core symptom of depersonalization disorder is the subjective experience of unreality, and as such there are no clinical signs. Common descriptions are: watching oneself from a distance; out-of-body experiences; a sense of just going through the motions; feeling as though one is in a dream or movie; not feeling in control of one's speech or physical movements; and feeling detached from one's own thoughts or emotions.[5] Individuals with the disorder commonly describe a feeling as though time is 'passing' them by and they are not in the notion of the present. These experiences which strike at the core of a person's identity and consciousness may cause a person to feel uneasy or anxious.

That pretty much matches what I originally said above! Oh dear, hope I'm not losing my marbles

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join