It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another example of Fox News bias.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
GD

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The one news network that actually presents both sides of an issue is biased. For the record, Alan Combs, Geraldo and Greta Von Sustern are all LIBERALS.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Personnally, I'm hoping all the protesters are voting for Nader.

I hate to break it to you, but these guys don't want to vote for Nader. They want less government, as Phreak said:

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

Oh yeah, the protesters weren't so much democrats as they were anarchists.

So the only logical choice for them right now will be Libertarian Badnarik. At least you don't try to limit my freedom of speech Mr. Philpott, by not allowing me to mention the word 'Badnarik' or 'Libertarian' in your presence like your buddy O'Reilly has done to multiple guests on his show. No Spin Zone?
Try No Freedom-of-Speech Zone!

I too was once a Bush supporter...
Watching FNC all day... But I opened my eyes Mr. Philpott. Have you heard of the film OutFoxed distributed by Disinformation? I suggest you watch it, that is... if you believe in being Fair and Balanced by looking at things from more angles than just one.

OutFoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism
'Fair and balanced'? How about anything BUT?!?! For the first time ever, this documentary reveals the secrets of former Fox News producers, reporters, bookers and writers who expose what it's like to work for Fox News. These former Fox employees talk about how they were forced to push a 'right-wing' point of view or risk their jobs. Some have even chosen to remain anonymous in order to protect their current livelihoods. As one employee said, 'There's no sense of integrity as far as having a line that can't be crossed.'

The team behind Outfoxed created a system to monitor Fox News 24-hours-a-day for months to discover exactly how its shows worked. A team of volunteers around the country scrutinized every hour of Fox News programming, noting examples of bias in its coverage. The result is an intense examination of Fox News and the lie inherent in its favorite motto: 'Fair and Balanced.'

You might even be lucky enough to find it at your local video rental store, mine carries it- three copies even!

Well, there is one "example" for ya, if that isn't enough, just ask.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
They "FOX" are biased to the right but then again they are the only one, CBS,ABC, NBC, CNN are all left......

Originally posted by TheBigD
Someone needs to tell Fox News that protestors are not democrats!

I don't think you can blame Fox News for the fact that Rivera was neck deep in protesters when he noted the political demographic of New York. Personnally, I'm hoping all the protesters are voting for Nader.

Furthermore, if this crowd hates Fox News, that can only mean that Fox News is doing something right and I'm getting my news from the right source.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   

As far as the protesters go, there just isn't anything that I can really respect about the lunatic left.

[edit on 04/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

Okay, I agree with you that the left is evil
but these people aren't all the left!! There are many organizations that are comprised of Republicans that are against Bush (Google it if you don't believe me "Republicans Against Bush"). There are also many other conservative/right groups that are "anti-Bush." *ahem* I'm sure you can include the Libertarians in there somewhere, who are anything BUT leftists.

I hate to judge anyone, but I do believe you have an innaccurate view on this situation.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
They "FOX" are biased to the right but then again they are the only one, CBS,ABC, NBC, CNN are all left......

Actually C-SPAN is almost entirely unbiased.

It amazed me today watching the demonstrations in New York on C-SPAN, at the end they had a hotline to call in to tell what you thought about the protestors. There was a "Pro-Bush" line, a "Pro-Kerry" line, and a "Independant or Other" Line. They took callers from each line so that the opinions would be presented in an UNbiased manor.

C-SPAN also say that they will televise the Libertarian/Green debate!!

Donald Meinshausen just called me to inform me that C-SPAN contacted him about specifics relating to televising the event. According to him, C-SPAN will be there and televising the debate.

Now I'd like to see any other station do that!!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Alireza Jafarzadeh, the former speaker for National Resistance Council of Iran, the political arm of the Mujahideen al-Khalq (MKO) is a regular paid commentator. Fox has backed Jafarzadeh even though the MKO (and its related organisations) is now designated as a "Foreign Terrorist Organisation" in the United States, proscribed under the Terrorism Act 2000 in the United Kingdom and stands similarly accused of being a terrorist organisation in many other countries.

www.worldhistory.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
GP, I have to agree with Ocelot in regard to the notion that we are without biased news. Please let me explain why I feel this way.

For decades I had to get my information from the mainstream media, a media that is controlled by the liberal elite who had a stranglehold on what news I would be allowed to see and with what slant it would be given. While it was bad enough that whatever news I saw had a heavy left tilt to it, the worse problem was that some news was not reported at all! That is an even bigger problem since at least one can glean some information from slanted news, but nothing can be taken from no news at all.

Fox News came along, and many of us were beside ourselves with joy because we thought we could now have a news source that would fill in the missing pieces and do it without a left slant. As you can see from many of the posters here, the option of having a news outlet that does not contain a heavy slathering of liberalism bias disturbs the bejesus out of many (so much for freedom of speech, although we've long known that the libs think that right only petains to their speeches!). But Fox News does not give all the news either, they have often failed to report important information or they have allowed themselves to become preoccupied with items that really should be no more than regional news, at most (pick any of the missing spouse cases and you'll see what I mean).

I wish I could offer a handful of particular examples of what has irked me, but I can think of none, but still, I have began to suspect a sinister plot, one that satisfies those who are sick of the liberal media but still keeps us in the dark.

Yes, I fear a large conspiracy against the citizenry. Call me a wack-job if you like, but that is my feeling.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Look at the way they balance things out. Sean Hannity, super conservative, die by party lines Republican that's as pompous as O'Reilly and in my opinion even more smug. On the other side is Alan Colmes, much meeker then Hannity, and not nearly as confrontational. It's obvious who the star of that show is. It's subtle things like that showing bias.

On the other hand I think CNN is subtly biased to the left. Larry King is to CNN as O'Reilly is to Fox. I don't dislike King as much though. As Thomas said, the left doesn't mind CNN being slanted so much...

Steve "The Weather Guy" Doucey reminds me of Guy Smiley from "Sesame Street".

Edit:spelling

[edit on (8/30/0404 by PistolPete]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
double

kix

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The day I see Al Franken in the O franken Factor on FOX, then Ill believe in the FAIR and BALANCED mumbo Jumbo turbo DUNG....

FOX is a propaganda channel it makes me sick and I am not liberal and not american......just think about it....

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
You want Fair and Balanced?

watch the Daily Show with Jon Stuart or Real Time with Bill Maher.
thats how i get my healthy dose of unbiased news everyday, the days they dont air i just read the ATSNN

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
CNN tilts Right, from an advertising/Nielsen points necessity. Fox is run by a former Bush Campaign manager, so where do you think they tilt? All corporate media tilts Right; they covered an election theft in 2000 as if they were covering something legitimate. They all gave Bush a free pass.
The only 'news' that is worth viewing that originates in the US is C-Span; but they're not reporting, they're simply voyeurs. If you're going to give time to anything to get educated about what they actually say in DC, watch C-Span. BBC Nightly News is head & shoulders above anything we have here in reporting about the US.

DENY IGNORANCE about Fox:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by p1
Fox news sucks! Fox news sucks! Fox news sucks!

That had to be the most humorous thing I saw at the protests today

Ya that was worth a laugh! I had to keep reminding myself that they were protesting against Bush jr. and not FOX news.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Fox is also one of the few media groups that nightly refers to those opposed to Bush as traitors (watch Sean Hannity). He always apologizes for his liberal co-host to all guest saying he hopes to convert him soon (he calls it hannitizing).

The most horrible example of right leaning though is during the morning show. Brian Kilmeade and Steve Doocy are so freaking far to the right they spew out crap on a daily basis. In a morning show I don't want to know what party you favor, I want you to freakin report. They don't they report then drop small bombs all through the conversation making any non conservitive views seem dirty.

Hannity at least says what he is, although if you see in his book he refers to liberals as evil so in the end he is a waste of space. Actually if you watch him and listen to what he says (especially his off hand comments) the man scares me. He is very militant.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Can anyone give some examples of the "liberal bias" that is supposed to exist in US mainstream media? We get CNN, Fox, and a few others in the UK and I have to say I really don't see it. I've studied media a lot (it's my degree/major) and have close friends in the BBC and other news outlets, and I see far more right/nationalist leaning bias than left in the US news.

Maybe it's just the difference in UK/US political climates? The whole of Europe I guess is liberal by American standards, yet we still have our right and left.

With regards to the example given at the start of this thread, I'd agree it is a definite case of right wing bias. In the media nothing happens by accident. On TV every item, inclusion, juxtaposition, every running order, even change in tone or pitch of voice is VERY carefully planned or accounted for. You would not believe the effort and attention to detail that goes into this sort of thing.

I think the BBC is the closest thing to an unbiased mainstream media outlet there is. (not counting it's understandable "pro british" angle overall), and this occurs only because the BBC is not reliant on sponsors or any particular political party, and can freely report all views without fear for it's future.

[edit on 30/8/04 by muppet]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Furthermore, if this crowd hates Fox News, that can only mean that Fox News is doing something right and I'm getting my news from the right source.

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Grady you are the best.

One of the many studies of what brain damage Fox really does can be found here:

For each of the three misperceptions, the study found enormous differences between the viewers of Fox, who held the most misperceptions, and NPR/PBS, who held the fewest by far. Eighty percent of Fox viewers were found to hold at least one misperception, compared to 23 percent of NPR/PBS consumers. All the other media fell in between.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by muppet

I think the BBC is the closest thing to an unbiased mainstream media outlet there is. (not counting it's understandable "pro british" angle overall), and this occurs only because the BBC is not reliant on sponsors or any particular political party, and can freely report all views without fear for it's future.

No way is the BBC un-biased, Sky News is the best news channel for un-biased news coverage

Beeb Watch

BBC Watch

and the BBC is heavily pro-EU, it's coverage of pro-EU parties were much higher than anti-EU parties in the Euro 2004 elections

[edit on 30-8-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
and the BBC is heavily pro-EU, it's coverage of pro-EU parties were much higher than anti-EU parties in the Euro 2004 elections
[edit on 30-8-2004 by UK Wizard]

I don't see the BBC as pro-EU at all. The pro EU parties got the most coverage simply because the happened to be the three main parties (Labour, Tory, LibDem).

The Euro 2004 elections weren't about whether or not we should be in the EU, they were to decide who should represent us, assuming are in the EU. Parties like the UK Independence party are by definition a fringe party in this issue. The BBC I think simply reflected this.

Come the Constitutional or Euro referendums though, I expect you'll see a different side to the BBC, and the main political parties.

All the parties are being a bit misleading regarding their feelings towards the Euro. The have to show some support for it publicly, since they will need this "history" behind them if they are to have credibility in Europe if we eventually joined up. Certainly we have to at least look like we're interested if we are to carry any weight in negotiations. This may even be the reason why we have delayed so long in having referendums.

Once we have rejected the European constitution and the Euro in a referendum though, all three parties will probably drop the whole Euro thing like a wet turd.

I have to say I suspect some tacit agreement between all the three parties on this (appearing to be pro European), so as to prevent the EU becoming a general election issue and distorting the political scene.

The irony of politicians supporting the Euro is that in doing so, they are all effectively saying "we want less power and influence", which is what a federal EU basically means. Power taken out of their hands, and sent to Brussels.

The same goes for the BBC. It would not be allowed to exist in it's current form in a homogenised, sorry, unified EU, since it's public funding would be seen as unfair to other European media companies. For now though it has must simply carry on covering what the different parties are saying, and if each one is giving out a Euro-friendly message, then that's what they have to report. The BBC is not allowed to state it's own opinion on anything political.. just report.

So, in summary, I don't personally think the BBC is pro Euro (certainly everyone I know there thinks it's a bad thing), but they are stuck with having to report and reflect what the political parties are saying publicly, which is, on the face of it, pro-European to one degree or other.

EDIT : With regards to Sky News, don't forget than it's a Murdoch station, like Fox. He is probably anti EU personally, since European protectionism would lessen his own influence. He is therefore an ally to us skeptics on the European issue, but for utterly different reasons to us.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I would like to know when the right is going to wake up and realise they aren't what they try to paint themselves as.....

When people sit around waiting to hear what they already know doesn't it kind of tell them they are everything but objective? These people claim to be brilliant people, and everybody else is stupid and their logic is flawed ect ect, apparantly they haven't looked in the mirror much, because they are everything they claim not to be.... I guess thats why fox and the right wingers make such a great couple... Eventually they will be out witted and they won't even see it coming because their arrogance and stupidity blinded them right from the get go.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm going to ask a question, and then give my own answer. Not like it's the first time I've ever done that...
(Q.) Give that fact that most people believe that all of the 24/7 news channels are biased in one direction or the other, why does Fox News have generally higher ratings?

(A.) Beacause of all the small rural cable operators that only broadcast Fox and CNN. And given the fact that CNN puts you to sleep faster then watching golf.

Our cable system only gives us the choice of FNC, CNN, or CNN Headline News.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join