It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Athens, We were wrong ....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Greece overcame the world's paranoia to stage a glorious Games

Dear Athens,

Well, we feel bad. We really owe you an apology.

So, sygnomi, as you would say. Sorry.

Sorry the way we acted. We were paranoid and stupid and just flat out wrong. Our bad. If you want, we'll sleep on the couch.

We mocked you, ridiculed you, figured you wouldn't be ready. We envisioned you as a bunch of lazy, swarthy guys in wife-beater T-shirts chugging ouzo instead of finishing the baseball dugouts. We were sure steeplechasers would have to jump over drying cement, pole vaulters over tractors, divers into 3 feet of water.

We were sure every street corner would have three or four terrorists, just kind of killing time, looking for somebody to kidnap. Some bozo said, "The only place worse to hold an Olympics would be Baghdad." Please. I guarantee you, we felt a helluva lot safer these three weeks in Athens than we do in L.A. Or Detroit. Or the Republican National Convention.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com... /2004/writers/08/29/reilly.letter/index.html?cnn=yes

We insisted you spend 1.2 billion euros on security. You had to put up blimps and cameras all over the city. You couldn't throw a bucket of grapes anywhere and not hit a soldier with a rifle. And nothing happened. Zero. The only incident was when our Secretary of State said he was coming to visit. In other words, if Colin Powell would've just been happy with his remote, you wouldn't have had a single problem.

Why you had to pay for our paranoia, I'll never know. It's the world's problem, the world should have to pay for it. What small country is going to be able to afford to host the Olympics anymore with these insane security demands? From now on, if a country wants to send a team to the Games, it pays its share of security, based on its share of the gross world product. In other words, it's our war, we should have to pay for it.

And now you're stuck with about $8.5 billion in debt, a bunch of huge, expensive stadiums you'll never use (Hey, kids, who's ready to synchronized dive?!) and a whole lot of "Get Your Butt to Team Handball!" shorts nobody was around to buy. Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how did you enjoy Dallas?

So, really, we're sorry. If it makes you feel any better, we all feel a lot more Greek now. We're all coming back to the States telling the wife, "OK, you be Athena and I'll be Zeus!", demanding our favorite restaurants reserve us a table about 1 a.m. under the moon, right near a 2,500 year-old ruin. We keep spitting in people's hair for good luck, crushing plates for no reason and hollering "opa!" in the shower.

Thoughts ???

[edit on 29-8-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I am glad they went through without a hitch.
I prayed that noone would get hurt.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Good post. having been to Greece more times than I can shake a stick at (I spent 4 years living in Macedonia right near the border) I can attest to how much fun the country can be. I too read all the horror stories and was pleasantly surprised at how well everything went. However, the security was justified IMHO. Nothing happened and that what they wanted so maybe that money was well spent.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
No one forced them too host the Olympics they wanted to do it and there was a list of other countries behind them that wanted to host them too.

The security they provided was not just for the US. Remember the Munich games the bombing in Spain the terrorist attacks on Russians ect...

You have to have Security in this day in age if you want to host the Olympics. If your not willing to do that then you dont deserve to host the Oylmpics.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
With all the terrorism concerns did it keep too many people away for the Olympics to make money for Greece? I'm just curious because I heard of lots of empty seats for some events and it sounded like there was a question if Greece would break even on the costs for the Olympics.

I'm happy nothing violent happened too.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I too was surprised at the number of emtpy seats....

Did you guys see the marathon runner who was "mugged" by that guy ?

what was the story behind that ... I only saw a "blurb" about it on the news...

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hi elevatedone,

Link to the Marathon incident and other acts of stupidity.

The man was arrested and taken to a police station. A government spokesman said he was a former Irish priest, Cornelius Horan, who interrupted the British Formula One Grand Prix last year by running on to the Silverstone track.

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

top topics

join