It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make a longbow.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Here's a neat youtube guide that I found about making a bow using nothing but things found in nature.

Part 1

Part 2

Part3

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Great find. I am pretty sure that hatchet was not "found in nature though"
S&F
We all need to learn survival skills. Something is coming, we all feel it sub-consciously; we just disagree on what. The basic skills are no less important regardless of scenario.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Great post.

We will soon find that we are simply one small part of nature. We have gotten wildly out of hand because of our technology, and our disregard for the planet.

The planet will remind us who is boss soon, and if you should be one of the lucky (or unlucky) few who survives the devastation, skills like this could mean the difference between life and death.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Good thread info - but it's just not the same without dave.

He'd have an entire post about how HE made a longbow!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I found a few other videos showing some really rough "bushcrafting" and alleged Native American techniques, but honestly their video was about as poor as the finished product (not very good). I chose this little guide because it used a minimal amount of equipment, and showed how to make a pretty nice bow.

reply to post by DieBravely

I agree. I think that everyone looking towards stockpiles, and manufactured weapons and such will find that if anything ever happens for more than a few months, they will run out of stockpiles and existing goods quickly. As it stand right now, without our industrialization, we couldn't support our populations needs. We lack both the natural resources, and the skill.

edit on 13-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Great vid series and well produced. That young man is talented too. I went to youtube to give it a thumbs up. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Apache don't use bows.

reply to post by The GUT

He also has some videos of him hunting with these bows that he makes. Someone should shoot him a youtube message and invite him to the survival forum here (I don't have an account there). Looks like he knows a few things.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
So I checked for his bow shooting vid as you suggested and found the following. He's hunting dragonflies mind you and I think you'll agree it's a fair contest.

His videographer is top-notch too.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Oh no.
This is bad. I see a mistake he's making while shooting. When shooting a bow, one feather out, two feathers in. That's why his arrow are going crooked at times.

He's good at making them though, he shoots accurately. I guess no one ever told him that detail about bow hunting. He also has a pretty nice body.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The first bit of real information I've seen on ATS.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Exactly what I've been looking for!
Thank you!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Wow awsome video link the GUT. at first i was like oh he just shoots at dragon flies to hone his aim

but damn this guys a boss! he actuly hit them

oh and OP the original post was awsome. i love the idea that if needed w some basic tools we can make tools for hunting and defence if needed

thers an other great if you intrested go to youtube and search Dave Canterbery long bow he make a really good one as well

i gota stop procrastinateing on this been meaning to make one of my own for about a 6 months now

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
That bow is pretty cool. However, just to be pedantic, should the thread not really be called " how to build a long bow" rather than "longbow".

Proper longbows need pretty exceptional draw strengths and to be honest that didn't look very difficult. It did, however, still look mighty cool

edit on 14-10-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

His bow is too small for him. It looks like he's a craftsman first, archer second. His draw strength is not anywhere near what it should be for him. Ideally it should be so stiff that you can barely pull it back.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This is pretty good, but without a doubt you need to watch Richard Proenneke, if you can find the video you will not be able to stop watching / learning

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Nice videos, I would like to know what kind of wood is out on the west coast that would be good for making bows. Would you use the same wood for making arrows too?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
Good thread info - but it's just not the same without dave.

He'd have an entire post about how HE made a longbow!

And how to use it to perform emergency surgery on yourself with minimal blood loss...

Man I miss grandpa

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I live in a heavily forested area so wood isn't a problem but the time required for seasoning (plus skill to tiller etc( is. I found this excellent video for those of you in an unrban environment -

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
WOW! that is amazing!

anybody know what types of game you can bringdown with this?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by UnrelentingLurker

His hunting videos are largely unsuccessful. I think it's mainly due to the wrong size bow, and not nearly enough pull. Many people regard the figures about ancient Native American bows to be hyperbole, but in reality, the strongest hunter was often the best. That guy could be very good, due to his strength.

In case you do not know about the so called hyperbole, they used 80-150lb pull weights. 80 being a really crappy bow, and hunter.

As far as the kinds of game, anything from squirrel up to deer (where I live). Out west I was told that they primarily hunted buffalo, and primarily used the spear thrower things that Daddybare showed us how to make.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join