It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Interrogation Techniques - Breaking arms and giving into demands.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Would you crack?

The thread subject needs some explaining. Essentially, I was trying to think of some alternative interrogation techniques for a fictional story, which led me to this idea.

Perhaps this is new, perhaps not. I know variations of it have been used throughout a number of security agencies.

Here is the premise.

Your person of interest is detained, held with minimal food supply, water and near no light. This last for thirty days and they are held in solitary confinement.

By day 30, they are weak, confused, but have developed a mental strength in spite of their conditions. A weak person would probably crack by this time, but we are talking about strong willed people here (as targets). Mild interrogations would have to be carried out throughout the 30 day period.

The next phase, would be to bring in another prisoner. Putting them either right next to the first one (target), or in the same space. The second prisoner would be put under stricter conditions, either by direct verbal or physical abuse by the guards, which would have to be witnessed by the target.

The key here would be that the second prisoner is a plant.

(Already been used before hasn't it?)

Here is where the variation would come in. The "plant" would have to go under some major trauma, where the target would develop empathy for him. This could include a badly fractured arm, or other extremity. It could include burns, lacerations, or some other physical trauma that would seem impossible to be carried out on a "planted" agent.

The idea is for the plant to get information out of the target, by gaining his trust after suffering the trauma. However, getting the target to give useful information would require a number of psychological feats by the plant throughout the scheme.

It is not necessarily a guarantee of success, but I would presume it would increase the effectiveness of "plants". Of course, you would have to find someone willing to go through the torture, voluntarily....

*To add, the plant could give suggestions to the target, on how to outsmart the captors. With an elaborate story, such as, he outsmarted them in the past and escaped. Now that they are on to him, it wouldn't work again for the plant, but it will for the target. With this, the target use the information to receive demands, better care, etc. Basically building an appreciation for the plant...

That's all I got right now...

Thoughts?
edit on 13-10-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Perhaps it was lacking some added waterboarding?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Unless the plant was someone dear to me I would ignore his tribulations. I would tell him to keep his trap shut and take it.
If it were someone I loved I would still ignore the tribulations, because i have discussed this with those I love and we all have actually agreed on a plan involving any subsequent arrest and torture.

We really have: The world at large has caused many people to consider such things
We have agreed with each other that.... We will not speak. Because it will be known either way we would all die anyway....Not a chance I would tell that sort of enemy anything.
There really are those out there that have considered what steps to take in cases like this.
My wife and I do have that understanding.
My wife would say the same thing about me.
DH

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
easier method , load a couple prisoners on helicopter.. go up 1500 ft. ask question.. dont get answer you want throw one out the door.. the remaining one starts talking remarkably fast.. tried and proven to work.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Not a chance I would tell that sort of enemy anything

The point of the whole idea was that you wouldn't know it was an enemy. There is no communication to the outside, with intelligence, a backstory could be devised on the plant with no way to verify.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I saw this as an episode of The Outer Limits.

In that story, humans were at war with some aliens. A pilot was captured and put in a cell with a young woman. They never became lovers, but he came to care for her. They each had their torture sessions. After some time, her sessions were changed, and they were supposedly trying to alter her DNA to change her into an alien. After a while of that suffering as she was becoming more alien, he told her not to worry, the humans had a secret fleet of ships on the opposite side of the sun and were planning a massive attack. It was then the girl revealed that they weren't changing her into an alien. Instead they were changing her back into her true alien form.

I thought it would make a good flick to show military folks when discussing behavior as a POW.

It seems plausible if it hasn't happened already.

edit: Here is the show "Outer Limits: Quality Of Mercy "

edit on 13-10-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Great post.

Wishing my idea was a little more original but what can you expect in this day and age...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Information after 30 days is useless anyway. Information garnered from a weary, delirious, and manipulated captive is also unreliable. Torture has a place in real-time battlefield situations. Torture to save real lives in real time is worthwhile. Torture back at the base a week or month later is useless.

Now if we are talking about retribution, and taking our own sweet time in doling out a particular punishment, then I have a very dark side that can be called upon for creative ideas, LOL!

But, for accessing enemy information, it is only useful in the few immediate hours after capture. 12-24 hours later it becomes outdated, the enemy has already taken precautions on anything the captive might have known, the captive has already prepared to die, and anything that comes out of their mouth is likely a story that you will most believe, not a story that necessarily is the truth.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I see the angle you talking about. But this information wouldn't be given over to their enemy, instead, a friendly. Whether or not the information is time sensitive, it doesn't mean it isn't valuable. Learning how an enemy functions at all is important.

Appreciate your contribution.

new topics

top topics

join