It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this ugly creature I caught on the underwater cam?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Looks like a dugong with catfish whiskers..

off topic.. a google search produced this image: i55.tinypic.com...

edit on 13-10-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The link you provided says this is also known as the 'sturgeon cam'. It's spawning season. So, I guess a big fat sturgeon... but the teeth???
I just don't know.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Heres a quote from the link in the OP.

"SHIOCTON, WI - Cam 2

better known as the sturgeon cam, the Shiocton 2 location becomes very popular when sturgeon start to spawn"

I think with this quote and what grandnic said narrows it down to being a sturgeon. unfortunately I cant see the video on my phone

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

My guess would be a Goonch
Big ugly catfish with teeth.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
www.wiscfish.org...

Here's the fish database for Wisconsin fish species. You can see different views of their bodies (head-on view is what you should check, of course). I'd guess it's one of the species of bullhead catfish. Definitely an ugly, kind of creepy critter.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
source

My guess is a Monk fish

Monkfish (or Headfish) is the English name of a number of types of fish in the northwest Atlantic, most notably the species of the anglerfish genus Lophius and the angelshark genus Squatina. The term is also occasionally used for a European sea monster more often called a sea monk.

Monkfish is the most common English name for the genus Lophius in the northwest Atlantic but goosefish[1] is used as the equivalent term on the eastern coast of North America. Lophius has three long filaments sprouting from the middle of the head; these are the detached and modified three first spines of the anterior dorsal fin. As in most anglerfish species, the longest filament is the first (illicium), which terminates in an irregular growth of flesh, the esca. This modified fin ray is movable in all directions. This esca is used as a lure to attract other fishes, which monkfish then typically swallow whole. Experiments have shown, however, that whether the prey has been attracted to the lure or not is not strictly relevant, as the action of the jaws is an automatic reflex triggered by contact with the esca.

It grows to a length of more than 1.5 m (5 ft); specimens of 1 m (3 ft) are common. The largest recorded specimen caught weighed 99.4 kg (219 lbs

source-wiki

This guy is just a really really big one.

first time trying to embed an image....hope it works

edit on 13-10-2011 by MissPoovey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It's definitely an interesting video, but personally I think it's a sturgeon.

Sturgeons have whiskers above the mouth, and after re-watching the video it appears that what I first thought was the mouth is probably a massive facial scar (I've caught salmon out of rivers before and I've seen some mean rips/scars). The white lining of the underside which goes up to around the nose area that is on sturgeon also appears on this fish.

Of course sturgeon tend to be bonier too, but this guy already looks like an exception to the stereotypical stugeon look. Because of the whiskers, it's pretty much a decision between a sturgeon, catfish or something new (yet unlikely).

He looks like he would put up a good fight though

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by adamneldon

That goonch thing....looks a lot like it.....I'm going to see if they live in that area...BTW...I just checked the cam and it is STILL sitting there, doing nothing but floating in and out of view....maybe it's sick.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Thanks to all of you...this is driving me crazy!
It does appear sort of like a catfish, but living in Louisiana, I have caught catfish all my life and never seen one like that. Once I caught a 27 lb mudcat (UGLY as he**)....but still, I have never seen a body shape like that. The monkfish looks a lot like it too....I'm going to see if they live there. It just sits there....since yesterday, and it would seem like maybe it would swim away at some point. I'm sure we will figure it out.....I have never seen anything like it, but I'm sure someone has. I really don't think it's a sturgeon because they have long snouts...this appears to have a flat face...I don't know...
edit on 10/14/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
sorry already posted
edit on 14-10-2011 by ed1320 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Well he's STILL there
....All of you have good ideas of what it is, but I still don't know for sure....it's the body shape....like someone said, kind of like a manatee,but I don't think they are in wisconsin....and stay stationery for that long....uggggh I HATE not knowing something!!!

edit on 10/14/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Do any of you ever leave the computer?
It's a sturgeon lmao.
Case closed.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is a bullhead catfish ive caught these many times in the lakes around my area I'm in Minnesota ..They live on the bottom of lakes its not a sturgeon its a ugly bullhead catfish ! Peace,sugarcookie1 P.S people also like to eat them there suppose to be good fried

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAwareSC

What computer. I, through years of exposure to ATS, have honed my mental and psychic abilities, to constantly be tuned in to ATS....just wait and see...you'll get there too grasshopper....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I would go with catfish before sturgeon I think....sturgeons have long snouts don't they? I guess I'll go with catfish but it sure is an ugly one like I've never seen...it looks so bloated

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Good one! I just leave my computer on ATS all day (I work nights), but I don't sit here all day believe me.....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAwareSC

you mean we can leave the computer
well why didnt anyone tell me

well whatever the heck that thing is, it has a face only a mother could love
lol

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's my ex-mother-in-law.......

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Well it looks like a sturgeon or catfish, but some fish if not all fish to different degrees. Can just keep growing and growing as long as they don't get eaten by predators, and are in the right habitat they will just continue growing, some to enormous size.

here is some tuna.

here are some pretty big sturgeons.

here are some pretty big catfish.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
i kept reading the thread title as "underwear"

it brought up a lot of questions... now im kind of disappointed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join