It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Showdown looms at New York 'occupy' protests

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Why not just move to battery park?

roughly equal distance between them, the bull, and wall street compared to zuccotti in terms of public and private property.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

The Dems and the unions are supporting the movement, but I have yet to see them using it to any political advantage. The unions were present at our local occupation, but they did not make a point to say anything about the union itself. Many local unions work hard for workers and their rights. It's a different story on a national level.

reply to post by Kojack

Bad thing about public space is that city code may require a permit to be there. We just went through this in Des Moines. The police arrested 32 people for being on "public property" after 11pm without a permit. So it all depends on city code.
edit on 13-10-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

You are probably right. They will lose steam the same way the tea partiers lost steam: disillusionment. The tea partiers were mad at the government, hence all the revolution talk. Many realized, even after the 2010 election sweep, no amount of name changes was going to restore America. A large portion became hopeless.

I see what you mean but its a completely different movement than the Tea Party with different ideas, beliefs and even types of people. People across the world have really embraced this movement and want change. Everyone has their own idea about what these protests mean and in my opinion its not about any name changes at any election, its about the long arm of the government and the greed of the worlds financial powerhouses putting millions in poverty.

The other side of the coin is up in arms now, not that much is different now than during the tea partiers protest other than the majority party in the House. The too will realize that nothing will change things in ways other than what those in control want. In the meantime, now the Dems get a grass roots group to rally behind and manipulate.

In the end, they will be just as disillusioned as many of the tea partiers.

I think your sentiment is shared by many. It does seems hopeless at times. If this movement can at least open peoples eyes to what is truly going on in our government and the financial sectors around the world, then that's s step forward. Its not about political parties, or having a leader, its about saying we're fed up with the way things are being run and its time for a change. This is just a start in the right direction and hopefully the movement will continue to grow and get some results

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
This is just a start in the right direction and hopefully the movement will continue to grow and get some results

I find that part scary. From what I have seen and heard, the new grievances and any solutions OWS has presented, different from those presented by the tea partiers, are a radical retreat from the ideals of a free society.

I think it is clear that aspects of investing that led to our economic problems need to be worked out. With OWS, these protest can only influence the investors/bankers/corps, or the lawmakers. The former being large businesses don't capitulate to anything but the dollar. The later only do anything in an election year, and then its laced with loopholes and worse.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

I find that part scary. From what I have seen and heard, the new grievances and any solutions OWS has presented, different from those presented by the tea partiers, are a radical retreat from the ideals of a free society.

The reason people are protesting is due to the 'radical retreat from the ideals of free society' performed by many major corporations, the banks and many governments of the world. And anyone who has presented any ideas at OWS isn't necessarily representing a majority of the protesters opinion.

I think it is clear that aspects of investing that led to our economic problems need to be worked out. With OWS, these protest can only influence the investors/bankers/corps, or the lawmakers. The former being large businesses don't capitulate to anything but the dollar. The later only do anything in an election year, and then its laced with loopholes and worse.

I think lack of transparency, government funded bailouts, and thievery of our tax dollars that has led to this financial collapse. As I said, if nothing else, atleast the conversation has started and people are addressing the problem.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

you are kidding right ? let me get this straight you wanna make things better by making them worst ? please tell me what happens if the us financial market goes down? what do you think the rest of the world will get ? and you believe you are going to prove a point to those with money ?

They plan to implode the market and you want to let them? Why ?

the ennemy is the federal reserve....not the banks.....you cut off hebhead the body is useless....think about it

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by KpxMarMoTT
reply to post by danj3ris

you are kidding right ? let me get this straight you wanna make things better by making them worst ? please tell me what happens if the us financial market goes down? what do you think the rest of the world will get ? and you believe you are going to prove a point to those with money ?

They plan to implode the market and you want to let them? Why ?

the ennemy is the federal reserve....not the banks.....you cut off hebhead the body is useless....think about it

A business exists to make money. A bank is a business that makes money by using your money.

If ending my business relationship with a business makes things worse, then the "1%" the protesters keep mentioning actually are in charge of everything.

As for your Federal Reserve comment, I agree. But a mob of peaceful protesters aren't even a blip on their radar.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join