It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin, Comet 45P/Honda-MP, Asteroid Vesta, Stereo A HI-2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
You can see in this video all three of them in one screen together on NASA video ..
October 07, 2011

If one looks carefully, three small satellites of the Sun can be made out in this zoomed-in and magnified movie from the HI-2 telescope on STEREO Ahead. Most easily seen is the short-period Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova on the left side of the movie. It's moving very slowly, and might have been mistaken for a camera defect if it didn't suddenly produce a beautiful and very active comet tail in response to the solar wind going by.

Just below Comet 45P is the asteroid Vesta, visibly moving against the star background.

The third object is our old-friend Comet Elenin, moving from right to left through the vertical center. Comet Elenin has dropped dramatically in brightness since late August and is no longer visible in many telescopes, including the HI-2 telescope on STEREO Behind. It is still faintly visible in HI-2 on STEREO Ahead.

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

edit on 13-10-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Asteroid Vesta you can see too from SECCHI-A, HI1, 20111006 to 20111011 ..

But from 20111010 is better view, End Hour (Next Day): click 11

Put faster animation so you can see him easier ..

Left side, Little down from middle screen ..

secchi.nrl.navy.mil...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Does this mean Elenin is stil there? Has it been confirmed? Ive been hearing so much back and forth info on the topic i dont know what to believe...

where is that external quote from?
edit on 10/13/11 by ziggyproductions05 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
Does this mean Elenin is stil there? Has it been confirmed? Ive been hearing so much back and forth info on the topic i dont know what to believe...

where is that external quote from?
edit on 10/13/11 by ziggyproductions05 because: (no reason given)

Comet Elenin is here all time ..

That site and video is from NASA STEREO or you bather believe to Chadwickus ..

You can open that video from NASA STEREO official site, scroll down and you find it ..

Comet Elenin dropped dramatically in brightness only ..

Peace ..

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Sorry, i must have clicked the same link twice when looking for that external quote you posted. Interesting. Im not sure what Chadwickus has said about Elenin but it doesnt matter unless its backed by a reliable source/info. I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say. Regardless, thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
menagerie trois! :0

Darke07 you always post the most scientific and helpful threads! thank you

has anyone noticed NASA started with calling Elenin whimpy, followed by complete denial of its existence altogether.

yet never called Vesta 'whimpy'.

perhaps the semantics NASA is using, is that Elenin may very well conveniently be the name now given to the smallest of 3 (or more) perished comets in group formation that aren't whimpy (NASA/DHS would never confirm an extraterrestrial threat anyways, never!) and do pose some unspeakable threat

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

I don't believe NASA officially said anything about Elenin's demise.

Rest assured though, it is an ex comet.

There's no tail and hasn't been seen from earth since the 6th, when it was supposed to be visible.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by ignant

I don't believe NASA officially said anything about Elenin's demise.

Rest assured though, it is an ex comet.

There's no tail and hasn't been seen from earth since the 6th, when it was supposed to be visible.

It seems the CME's helped account for the loss of the tail .

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

There's nothing to worry about. Two images, one captured Aug. 19 and the other Sept. 6 during Elenin's journey toward the sun, show that it has dimmed. Comets tend to disintegrate as they approach the sun because of the amount of ice they contain. As pieces separate from the comet, they create dust trails in its wake, that, when crossed with Earth's orbit, create the meteor showers we love to watch.

Elenin's first journey into our inner solar system has not been gentle. The comet was hit by a coronal mass ejection (solar flare) Aug. 20, accelerating its disintegration shortly before its closest approach to the sun Sept. 10. Assuming the comet stays intact, it will continue on back into space after it approaches Earth on Oct. 16. Its orbital period is long and eccentric (anywhere from 12,000 to 600,000 years), and its modest size and rate of disintegration means it likely won't survive long enough to make a return trip. In fact, the jury is still out on whether Elenin is a periodic comet at all.

www.theday.com...

Some latest video I find on net ..

edit on 14-10-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I found this article on www.Stumbleupon.com It talks about Elenin, and 2009 TM8. I found it very honest for some reason..

Debris of doomsday Comet Elenin to pass Earth by sunday

new topics

top topics

join