It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MacFarlane wants to ditch Family Guy and reboot Star Trek for TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So apparently McFarland feels that he has had enough of Family Guy.. which I do think is falling off a bit, and I personally enjoy American Dad, and the Cleveland Show better, but a new Star Trek??

But as Family Guy embarks on its 10th season, MacFarlane admits he'd almost prefer it if the show was already over:

"Part of me thinks that Family Guy should have already ended. I think seven seasons is about the right lifespan for a TV series," he says of a show that launched its tenth season last month. "I talk to the fans and in a way I'm kind of secretly hoping for them to say we're done with it. There are plenty of people who say the show is kind of over the hill ... but still the vast majority go pale in the face when I mention the possibility."

blastr.com...

For those that are fans, either way, he seems to be in the middle of making another.. wait for it... Flinstones

Oh did I mention he released a CD, I heard about a min of it, and it sounds like Brian (Family Guy dog), and The Ratt Pack had a child, and it now sings!

Peace, NRE.

edit on 13-10-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: trying to fix video

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Star Trek is just as tired as Family Guy i think, its been done to death.
edit on 13-10-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Star Trek, they can make the Final FINAL Frontier
edit on 13-10-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

I for one would watch it if they did a decent reboot. The success of last movie also shows that there is still plenty of potential left if done properly even though i personally really disliked the reboot movie.

There is absolutely no space operas left on tv, so would be nice to finally have a show like star trek back on tv.
The reason it died was because voyager and enterprise was not done properly like previous star trek shows.

With a science fiction show like star trek there are endless possibilities if it is in the right hands.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Family Guy.. which I do think is falling off a bit, and I personally enjoy American Dad, and the Cleveland Show better

What? American Dad and Cleveland Show are like bad carbon copies of the original. You are the 1st person I've ever heard that thinks the spin offs are better, and black people are not watching the Cleveland show.
Snoop at 0:37...

Family Guy is not falling off at all, if anything it gets better every year. I'd like to see what Seth comes out with next, if it sucks then he'll go back to what he does best.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
As a fan of Star Trek, particularly NG and Voyager, I cringe thinking of the series mixed with MacFarlane. I do think he is a good and creative humorist, but leave STrek to JJ Abrams or someone. Is MacFar considering doing a spoof on St or something serious? I guess if he took his money, and had some good writers with a serious approach to ST, it may work, but my initial reaction was nooooo.

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I actually like American Dad way better than Family Guy. But I can't stand the Cleveland Show.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
i think family guy is still as good as ever and american dad and the cleveland show are good too

cant wait to see his take on the flintstones

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
family guy is tired. i await the new star trek. he better do it justice.

k'plah

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I am not a fan of cleveland show, but american dad has actually gotten a lot better over the years, while the opposite happened to family guy after it came back.
American dad is a much better show than it was during first seasons.

I know quite a few old time fans of family guy that feels the same way, so i recommend you give it another chance if you havent yet.
edit on 13-10-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
To be honest I would be very happy if Family Guy went away. It would still be around in reruns, sure, and that's bad enough, but the show makes me want to vomit. I just never have got it as I find it to be as unfunny a show that there ever was. A friend had it on for a few minutes today, I watched and still not even a grin, certainly not a laugh.

I never was cool, never liked the popular music and it seems again here I am in the minority(or at least it seems that way).Many of my all time favorite television shows were canceled after only one season and I'm going to see Family Guy forever. Life ain't fair.

I'm off to get some cheese to go along with my whine.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

What? American Dad and Cleveland Show are like bad carbon copies of the original.

Totally agree. The Cleveland Show just isn't funny at all, and the whole bears thing is just retarded. One talking dog, I could handle....but the bears? Too much...

American Dad is amusing, but not really all that funny.

A reboot of Star Trek? The last attempts at this in TV Land didn't fare all that well, though there is a built in audience if it's done right. It all hinges on picking the right person for the captain of course...without that, the rest falls flat.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It makes me glad to hear that MacFarlane at least has some self-awareness about his show. It really does need to be put down just as much as The Simpsons. It's such a lazy show. I'm not saying I never laughed at it or I didn't like it during the first run before it got canceled.

Whatever MacFarlane does next, I hope he tries a little more. He seems like a smart, funny guy. I bet he could do something that isn't padded out, sloppily written and pandering.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I can't see this happening. I can't even see star trek being slightly relevant in this day and age especially not with Seth doing it. Going from Family Guy possibly the crassest thing ever put to TV to star trek a series which unironically presents a hopeful view of future humanity working together with everyone peacefully?

Going from a half hour show with cut-paste jokes to an hour long drama with legion storylines and characters? Yeah I don't see that happening.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Apparently a lot of people prefer the newer shows but personally, I like Family Guy more than the other two even if it seems like Seth and the other writers put out bad episodes of one show and great episodes of another at more or less the same time they were written (like when Futurama had some good episodes while The Simpsons went through a lull even though I never thought much of Futurama)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Personally speaking, although I had to watch the original and The Next Generation as a kid, I could never get into it so if Seth did something with Star Trek and it was worth watching then I might actually tune in because otherwise, I'd take Family Guy over any Star Trek spin off.

That show always seemed as boring and difficult to watch as Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
reply to post by FEDec

Personally speaking, although I had to watch the original and The Next Generation as a kid, I could never get into it so if Seth did something with Star Trek and it was worth watching then I might actually tune in because otherwise, I'd take Family Guy over any Star Trek spin off.

What I am saying though is that it won't be worth watching even if you are the kind of person who likes either family guy or star trek or both. Unless of course Seth is just a name to push the show and they give some really talented writers the entire creative control. But I'm pretty sure there has never been a talented writer in the same room as Seth Macfarlane for more than 5 minutes.

That show always seemed as boring and difficult to watch as Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
\

This right here is why the show would never work. Because family guy fans can't use multisyllabic words and star trek fans can't stop using them. That and star trek has made it's bread looking to the future while family guy has made it's referencing the past.

new topics

top topics

join