It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We fabricated drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas, former detective testifies

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
Anybody who thinks this just happens in NYC is living in a dream world. This happens in every precinct in every city in the country. Yes, I'm sure there are a few small towns with one or two cops that are probably not corrupt. I live in a town with probably less than 50 cops and I know for a fact that they do this kind of thing. Gotta feed the private jail system; it's hungry and it does not care about anything but generating profits on the backs of every one of us.

I agree with you.....I think it is happening in every city too. (We the people) who do obey the law.....need to be mindful of where we go and who is around us. I for one do not go to bars etc. ......it's like every time we leave home and are anywhere ...we need to be extremely aware...and watch our own backs.

I am just hoping that the innocent people that were arrested...will be named....and released. I also hope that this story will send a (huge message) to corrupt policemen in other cities....that they are on the FBI radar.....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
lawyers will have a field day with this.
Innocents and guilty alike will be freed because of the ignorant actions of the NYPD.

Cops should be paid 100k to start.. but be required to pass the state bar exam before they meet the public.
hiw can you enfporce a law you do not understand?

A CJ degree teaches you squat about how to understand law.
Most cops can't even pronounce all the words of the laws they are supposed to enforce. ( to be fair...in their defense, some judges can't either).

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I feel NEW YORK CITY should release all people convicted of drug crimes by this precinct give each person a million dollars and any who spent more than a year in jail should be given an additition 500 k for every six monts they spent in jail past first year . i also feel they should bring in out of state investigators to check for additional incidents city wide. and all cops who are proven to have committed this crime needs to spend at least a year in jail up to maximum of 20 of found to have done this more than 5 times.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
A few years ago I was stopped by a cop and he saw I had an empty pistol box in the back seat of my car. He drew his gun and told me to get out of the car. I had no idea what was going on but did what he asked with his gun pressed to my head. He slapped cuffs on me and walked me to his car then explained why he had me in cuffs and that he wanted to search my car. In Wisconsin it's legal to have a gun in the back as long as it's in a case and empty. Which mine was. I told him "You can't search my car". He got mad and threatened me with all sorts of stuff, but I didn't flinch while I explained he had no right to search my car. Finally he let me go, knowing he wasn't going to scare me. I don't have a problem with cops in general but you get these guys who think a badge gives them a right to do whatever they want. My first post here by the way! I've lurked for years and finally jumped into the pool with the sharks.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
[q

Nobody can be stopped, searched, arrested, convicted, incarcerated and stigmatized for the rest of their life for looking like a drug user. Fact. I can stop you. I can search you. But I can't convict you, I can't incarcerate you, and I can't stigmatize you if I am in fact wrong. Actually, regardless of whether or not I arrest you, I can't convict you nor incarcerate you. The court handles that. And the burden of proof is on me, or the state.

......I really can't believe you just said that. You are right it isn't the Cop sentences you, it's a judge and jury. Heres the thing, police are not looked at as regular citizens when in the court of law. Have you ever actually looked into Police Misconduct and the Courts?

Police have literally murdered people, and got away with no criminal charges. I'm not talking shooting a person whom could be dangerous either. Years back a cop in Toronto made an illegal turn going around 60kmph(IIRC), no siren on, not responding to a call. Ran over an old woman. He was punished by his higher ups, but the courts? Nothing, the Jury looked at him differently.

I assure you if anyone of us from this website were that driver we would be in jail right now. This is just 1 example of many. Now I raise a question.

If we are living in a world where a police officer who is on trial for breaking the law, can get away with murder due to the uniform and the title.

Why would we assume the Jury is going to be against the cop? They side with them when they are the criminals, if they are there as professionals I think the results are damn near set in stone.

The burden of proof is on the accused, if a police officer arrests you and says in his report he found a bunch of coc aine, it is your job to prove that he planted it, because as is. people assume the cops are in the right 9 times out of 10.

Also, this doesn't only apply to looking like a drug user, you don't have to look like anyone specific. This could literally happen to anyone.

So tell me, tomorrow you get arrested and a police officer pulls a ziplock bag out of the back of your car, in that bag there are many more smaller bags, each one with coc aine in it. How are you going to defend yourself in the court trial that will surely be coming up?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'd love to see the racial breakdown of the people falsely arrested. wanna bet the majority of them are black/hispanic?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Imagine industry mining to pull out ore to sell to the world. Now imagine a cop is a miner and he is just filling his quota for the correctional system. Our entire system IS corrupt because of it's roots and ideology not in spite of any favorite you have as a history figure. There is always a big picture most of us fail to perceive but it's as simple as pretending the system is a greedy mother#er you always wants more!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I want to pick my words very carefully here.
I agree, corruption is blatant and gross..Doesn't help anyone with anything. But, consider not as an excuse but as a reason, some jerkoff's do it...

Scenario:

Roll into a call of narcotics use, etc..called in by a concerned citizen. Interview of said complainant, points to a group of individuals, of whom were all involved in the use. Upon recognizing 3 of them for priors, They are approached. They run.

Upon pursuit, one guy ditches something down a drain cover. (likely narcotics). He is detained, informed of his rights, consented to search. No narcotics. No weapons, no breach of any kind. He is asked, "Why run?". Answer: "everyone else did, I didn't even see you...thought we were running from 'Frank'." (someone they earlier ticked off)

Not buying his B.S...knowing full well he was directly involved in narcotic use, possession, SADLY, the available evidence wasn't much...There really is no reason to detain him any longer. The decision was made to release him, pay closer attention to him in the future.

This greatly angers the "concerned citizen". Who then lodges another complaint, that cops aren't doing their jobs.

I understand, this is no excuse at all, to plant anything on anybody. Ever. No one is above the law. (Except the criminals.hardy har)
But I can see this as a reason some crooked a$$holes do it. Not just for a quota.

Quotas are for production of product, not protection, or prevention of crime..

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I heard someone make an argument that the penitentiary system was originaly a roman catholic church idea (to be penetant/penitentiary) and it would follow that the penal code follows the same line.
If think a strong argument could be made to have the entire penal code thrown out as a conflict of church and state.

Just something to think about.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Does anyone else think there is something fundamentally wrong with there being "quotas" on things like this?

Police, ideal wise, should be meant to protect the public and make society more civil through public mediation. Not meet their monthly arrest targets....

Hey Bonch, you know a good detective would call that a lead ? We need to find out who sets and imposes these quotas. The cops having quotas ? So if everyone is really good for a month, you know we all do our chores and consume ? Well that puts the cops in a position doesn't it ? This is just more proof that none of these people
chosen to be cops think for themselves. Instead they go out and try to make trhe quota anyway.

What a comical friggen joke these people are, who ever they are ? They need to be locked up for life.

There are some people somewhere, who don't qualify as human when you look for a REASON, for cops having a quota.

Basically gentleman, you have this many innocent lives to ruin each month. But be safe out there.

edit on 14-10-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I don't think the quotas have anything to do with making sure there are crimes, so there is a need for law enforcement. There will NEVER be a single area that is completely crime-free. If you ever hear of a place, I would like to know because that would be a great area to raise my children. You are right about one thing though...funding. That is exactly what the quotas are in place for. The more arrests that are made=more money for the department. I hope these cops go to jail for a loooooong time for what they have done. It is disgusting

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I don't think the quotas have anything to do with making sure there are crimes, so there is a need for law enforcement. There will NEVER be a single area that is completely crime-free. If you ever hear of a place, I would like to know because that would be a great area to raise my children. You are right about one thing though...funding. That is exactly what the quotas are in place for. The more arrests that are made=more money for the department. I hope these cops go to jail for a loooooong time for what they have done. It is disgusting

This applies to all sorts of jobs as well. I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I'm sure there are other people here who have heard the same things, but my father use to be a city worker. Sewer and Road work for the most part.

They would specifically do jobs, like for example replacing the support for a concrete bridge. Right before winter would come up, they did this so that the water would flow into the cracks, which would then freeze in the coming months. This would cause the water to expand and the cracks would get larger. Once winter was up they would go back and redo the entire job again.

This was done so that taxes wouldn't go down, if they only had to do half as much working as they were at one point in time, it wouldn't need the same funding. So that was the solution.

My pops and a friend of his got in a whole bunch of trouble for cleaning out the sewers entirely. Rather than doing 1 quick run with the Sewer Vaccum Truck.(as they were told to) They both stuck by the idea that the reason for this was cause by cleaning out the sewers entirely. There was less reason for them to actually be working in those areas. By leaving them only 1/4th of the way done, they would always need to keep going back. So they could continue getting the funding they were use to.

Apply this to Police Funding, is it any different? If anyone thinks so I would like to know why they think that way.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MCJustJ

My father too worked for the city sewer department. Same stories. Intentional half-assing, planned obsolescence, overtime when there was no reason for it, etc...

All to keep the money coming in.

It's worth mentioning he managed the sewer department. All of their bumbling was ordered. He hated it. Used to come home and work like crazy on the house and yard just to feel like he was accomplishing something.

edit on 14-10-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
The first thing that comes to mind is why in the heck is there a "quota" for putting people in jail. I would think they would aim for a quota more along the lines of a crime free city.

The US justice system has literally become an assembly line like business, like the DMV. If you get caught doing something deemed "illegal" by society, you are cranked through lines of people, fines, and more financial grief.

If you dare to do something bad enough to be arrested, or if you argue with a cop and get yourself arrested, all you're doing is providing the state with thousands of dollars of legal fees, ways of monitoring you, and once you're in their system.....more reasons to search and detain you unjustly to just start the process all over again.

Its sickening. Even if you KNOW you're innocent and can afford an arm and a leg for a good attorney, the judge is likely to side with the cops anyways.

edit on 14-10-2011 by WhiteDevil013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

All I can say is yet another good darn reason not to live in that cesspool.
There are more reasons not to live in that sewer called NY City than one can shake a stick at!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Its crap like that that boils my blood. These bad apples give law enforcement a bad name. No wonder people dislike them and lash out against law enforcement, being on the job used to mean helping out the people that you were sworn in to protect, Now we will never know why this truly happened and the motivation behind this but Im glad these cops were exposed, weed out the bad apples so the good ones can try and make things right, I know i sound ridiculous but as a former police officer of just 2 years before I enlisted in the Army I felt the need to try to help out as many as possible and serve the and uphold the law and i credit my police training for making me a very successful soldier.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I remember a time when i was just leaving the bar in dead cold winter, i slid on black ice and fell and then cops came out of nowhere and arrested me saying i was drunk in public. Hilarious! They asked me if i was driving so they could tow my car, i told them i live one block from the Bar so my car was in the garage i was ok. That didnt stop them, they handcuffed me and put me at the back of their vehicle like i was an animal.

I get to their station and got put on a breathlyser...I hit 0.8 and they said i was intoxicated, i told them i had 4 shots of whiskey, i was fine. well i got to spend the nite in Jail, One cop told me they had to meet a quota...In the morning i had to pay $200 before leaving jail plus court fees. Everybody at work knew i had been arrested, My Boss found out and lost respect and credibility for me ever since.

I wont talk about the nite in Jail because it was horrible, there were people who pissed on the floor, fought each other, it was hell.
edit on 14-10-2011 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2011 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It appalls me that the LEOs who consider themselves "good cops" are so self-delusional as to constitute what would be a psychotic break with reality in others.

If you know a bad cop and don't arrest him, there is no possible way you can be considered a "good cop".

None.

You have sworn to uphold the law. To know a bad cop who violates the law and to fail to bring him to justice makes you an accessory before and after the fact. As an accessory, you share criminal liability.

If you aren't busting criminal cops you are aware of, there is no possible way you can be considered a "good cop", end of story.

There is no, absolutely NO, justification for your failure to do your sworn duty, merely self-serving excuses.

If you aren't a modern-day Serpico, then you are a corrupt cop, period.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
It appalls me that the LEOs who consider themselves "good cops" are so self-delusional as to constitute what would be a psychotic break with reality in others.

If you know a bad cop and don't arrest him, there is no possible way you can be considered a "good cop".

None.

You have sworn to uphold the law. To know a bad cop who violates the law and to fail to bring him to justice makes you an accessory before and after the fact. As an accessory, you share criminal liability.

If you aren't busting criminal cops you are aware of, there is no possible way you can be considered a "good cop", end of story.

There is no, absolutely NO, justification for your failure to do your sworn duty, merely self-serving excuses.

If you aren't a modern-day Serpico, then you are a corrupt cop, period.

Excellent post my friend, I gave you a star for that because in my opinion you are spot on.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by XplanetX
Does this open a can of worms that will allow all felons that have been arrested on drugs charges to sue the state?

My take on it is that every officer needs to be interviewed, under blanket amnesty, to determine if/when/how many times he has participated in this kind of behavior. Then, those prisoners should be freed and get a very good lawyer to collectively demand redress and compensation against the NYPD, since it was this unconscionable policy (arrest quotas) that caused the problem in the first place. Then, the NYPD needs to cut it the f@$& out and let police do their jobs properly. (at least the good cops. the bad ones will still be bad)

Not a single one of them should have to work another day in their lives doing anything but what they love. (because they are financially set now).

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join