It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street Protester Wants College Paid For Because That's What He Wants

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta

Originally posted by Michelle129th

Why are WEEE encouraging a huge amount of debt before kids have a viable
income? Doesn't sound like the way responsible people live their lives, way
beyond their means.

But we continue to encourage it as a welcome to the real world, huh?

Because that IS real life!!! What is going on in your part of the world that is different from this? If you want to start up a business...you need a loan. If you want a car...you need a loan. If you want to own a house...again a loan. There are many options available to people in repaying a student loan. It's not like the minute you graduate they're pounding on your door. Also, there is no need for a student loan to be some unsurmountable debt either! Many many people work part time...or over the summer to offset that loan. And again...if we taught our children to work their butts off in school, they'd be eligible for several FREE education grants again offsetting the remainder of the loan.

This is not just about education. This is about the doors this opens for the future. First it's free post secondary education and next all the kids are crying about free homes...cars...groceries. My god when does it end! Your are not entitled to everything in life unfortunately. Suck it up and work for it

Michelle

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
I really don't get these protesters.

They want bigger government, more regulation, higher taxes, free stuff provided to them and they wonder why they are unemployed.

What they want is what's actually causing the problems. The sheeple there need to think for themselves instead of listening to all the liberal/progressive propaganda.

Republicans/Conservatives haven't done anything to shrink government, do you
want to go over the last 3 decades.

Depends on the regulation, you guys deregulated the economy and how did that work?

The 1950's had a 90% tax rate for the 1%, things were fine then

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

Just like all the OWS protestors...you are talking...but you aren't saying anything.

Give me some substance.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by underduck

The OWS protests dont want handouts ... they want and end to the corperate owned goverment and media. I dont cared what this one person randomly said.

So they want to change government...but they don't want to become political.

And what exactly is their solution to people being successful and making money???

I think of it more like the movie Network. A bunch of people standing up and screaming "I'm mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore." This isnt a group with a specified agenda of how things need to be run. They are simply drawing attention to an issue that has been long ingnored. People are realizing it and you can see it popping up in cities all over the US. People are recognizing that they are being screwed and they are PISSED. It will be really interesting to see how this develops. Part of me wanted to see the standoff with the police this morning if only to gauge exactly what the next move would be.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta

Why are WEEE encouraging a huge amount of debt before kids have a viable
income? Doesn't sound like the way responsible people live their lives, way
beyond their means.

But we continue to encourage it as a welcome to the real world, huh?

Because that IS real life!!! What is going on in your part of the world that is different from this? If you want to start up a business...you need a loan. If you want a car...you need a loan. If you want to own a house...again a loan. There are many options available to people in repaying a student loan. It's not like the minute you graduate they're pounding on your door. Also, there is no need for a student loan to be some unsurmountable debt either! Many many people work part time...or over the summer to offset that loan. And again...if we taught our children to work their butts off in school, they'd be eligible for several FREE education grants again offsetting the remainder of the loan.

This is not just about education. This is about the doors this opens for the future. First it's free post secondary education and next all the kids are crying about free homes...cars...groceries. My god when does it end! Your are not entitled to everything in life unfortunately. Suck it up and work for it

Michelle

I disagree Michele, humans starting out adulthood with massive debt is a new
thing, it is not natural. It is only real because we have been conditioned to accept it...
Like you, you believe it, but again, what makes it different than the 13 years of education
prior?

Education is not a car or house or a TV; it is education. It is a tool that society gives to the
youth so they can continue forward. You associate it with cars and TV's exactly because
the bank is CURRENTLY a common thread. IF college were common and in practice
100 years ago, you would not have the perspective you have now, it would be normal.

You continue you to equate education with other things because you have been conditioned
your whole life to see collage as an exotic thing. If you are against collage, why not be
against High school?

Tell me what responsible, grown up person spends far more than they have?

You are asking the collage student to operate like the government

edit on 14-10-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Amazing the sense of entitlement these idiots claim.

it was probably never about having (any) goals. the only goal is to get people
onto the streets. from there, the puppet masters will steer the herd of sheeple
in anywhich way piers morgan's overlords decide.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Exactly, though I hope those stand-offs are avoided. I don't think this movement can be summed up all pretty in a single slogan. The main messages are mostly saying we're being screwed and we know it, corporate coruption, bank corruption, government corruption are swallowing people all over the world whole. As far as America goes, we have the freedom to say no more, I am happy to see people remember they have choices...well are supposed to have choices.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

Exactly, though I hope those stand-offs are avoided. I don't think this movement can be summed up all pretty in a single slogan. The main messages are mostly saying we're being screwed and we know it, corporate coruption, bank corruption, government corruption are swallowing people all over the world whole. As far as America goes, we have the freedom to say no more, I am happy to see people remember they have choices...well are supposed to have choices.

If I realize I'm being screwed...I usually know what needs to be done to stop being screwed.

But OWS doesn't have that...all they have is complaints, no solutions.

So maybe you aren't being screwed as much as they think they are...maybe others really aren't causing the issues in their life...maybe...just maybe...THEY are responsible for their own situation in life?

Is that a possibility?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

So maybe you aren't being screwed as much as they think they are...maybe others really aren't causing the issues in their life...maybe...just maybe...THEY are responsible for their own situation in life?

Is that a possibility?

Sure its possible. I am certain many Americans are responsible for thier situations but not most. Do you honestly think the average American or simply Citizen of the World isnt being screwed in favor of big business deals, reelection campaigns, and the almighty dollar?

This was posted on another thread which I cannot remember but I did save the site ...

www.businessinsider.com...

Look at this information and tell me things couldnt possibly be better.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Sure its possible. I am certain many Americans are responsible for thier situations but not most. Do you honestly think the average American or simply Citizen of the World isnt being screwed in favor of big business deals, reelection campaigns, and the almighty dollar?

WHAT? Most aren't responsible for their own situations???

No one forces anyone to make bad decisions...no one forces anyone to take a mortgage they don't understand and can't afford, no one forces someone to bury themselves in credit card debt, no one forces someone to pile on student loan debt and then not get the education needed to get a real job to pay off those loans.

Personal Responsibility is the problem with America...that goes for BOTH the 99% and the 1%.

Believe me...I know that the 1% needs to take responsibility for some of their actions and go to jail when they break the law. But the 99% have to start taking responsibility for themselves and realize that no one is going to make their life better except for THEMSELVES.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

And what is living within your means? So, the top 1% keep getting richer and the bottom 99% live within the means. And this "means" is stagnant and keep getting smaller and smaller, when taking into account the inflation rate. So, it's ok for the companies to lay people off and freeze/slash wages while hoarding cash. I mean, we can all live "within our means" using the standards of famine sticken Africa. But, is that what we really want?

Few people would have a problem with inequality if the American Dream were still fully intact—if it were easy to work your way into that top 1%. But, unfortunately, social mobility in this country is also near an all-time low.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by neo96
i made a thread last nite with that same video last nite and it got moved.

the dude is clueless and no amount of free cash is going to fix his problems.

Now that I can agree with. This guy knows nothing about the movement. He is one of those people who are just their because they think it is cool.

he is completely ignorant as to any of the real reasons anyone is over there and has no business giving interviews and has even less business holding signs like that.

How stupid do you have to be, to agree to do an interview on a subject you know nothing about?

I will never do an interview about Trigonometry and this guy should never do an interview about OWS... Plain and simple.

edit on 14-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

Perhaps he is one of the protesters being paid $350 to $650 a week. The college kids who earned $5,000 for college helping Obama pass health care also sounded uniformed when interviewed. They're just doing an act for the m-o-n-e-y sometimes.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Education is a right, not a privilege.

NBA teams start a championship at 0 wins and 0 losses. There is a reason for that: all teams are given a fair chance to win the championship.

The same should be valid for people: they all should be given a fair chance to succeed in life, and that means free education for all.

An educational system should not promote the wealthiest of people against the not so wealthy. It should provide the means for poor people to advance to thne upper echelons of society, if they are able. If this does not happen, then the system is Aristocracy: only the wealthy can advance.

Furthermore, children should not have to pay for the sins of their fathers. A child may be a hard worker, inspite of his father who's a lazy ass. Free education allows that. Paid education punishes the poor children for a sin they did not commit.

Educaional expenses should be paid through taxation, not through tuition fees.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Maybe he should move to switzerland. They will literally PAY YOU to go to their country and take advantage of their free, universal education.

People around here talk about "entitlement" like its some kind of horrible thing. In reality, we should at least be entitled to job, education, basic needs, and happiness... as long as the top 1% are buying and racing gold ferraris on private racetracks with rocket fuel.

If it wasn't for us, those who control ALL THE WEALTH would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! so why should we not be entitled to basic needs? (AT THE VERY LEAST!)

EDIT: as for the "people are responsible for their own situation" argument, well thats just dumb. Situational factors have let the top 1% get richer and richer, enhereting wealth and oportunity, while the rest of us are doomed to work constantly and relentlessly for a chance at signifiacantly less wealth and happiness then those who refuse to let go of their billions. FUNDAMENTAL ATTRIBUTION ERROR.

Its not a matter of "working hard". millions of people work their asses off their entire lives and end up with next to nothing. how in the hell is that fair in any way? How are multi-billionairs who inherited all their money and opportunities more deserving of a good life then someone who was born with next to nothing, worked their whole life, and died with little more then they were born with? Sick, twisted, senseless, stupid, ugly argument only perpetuated by those without a social conscious.

Oh, poor wealthy people in this country, so hard done by. Far be it from us to demand basic needs from these billionairs who are struggling to feed their poor, underprivileged families!

Its time for change. Capitalism has been dead for years. It is now destroying the middle class. And when the middle class is gone, all you have is the very poor and the very rich. And thats when we all become SURFS. Aristocrats and slaves... reminiscent of czarist Russia.

Maybbeeeee getting a bit ahead of things, but thats where i see things heading.
edit on 14-10-2011 by SPACEYstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

move to switzerland. They will literally PAY YOU to go to their country and take advantage of their free, universal education.
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

Can you show any evidence of this? Perhaps some of the homeless intellects I know would take advantage of such an amazing opportunity. Switzerland will PAY an American to move to their country and get a free college degree? Really?! Links?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

And what is living within your means? So, the top 1% keep getting richer and the bottom 99% live within the means.

If you don't live within your means, you will never climb higher than you are now...you will just sink.

I'm sorry...you can't have EVERYTHING you want...you have to make choices and sacrafices.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I am more than willing to accept this and I feel as if I do live within my means. That doesnt mean that I dont see my choices getting smaller and my sacrafices getting larger everyday.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by masterp

Education is a right, not a privilege.

Sure, you have a right to educate yourself all you want. It is not your right to demand someone else to educate you and have someone else pay for it.

Go educate yourself...many have...take responsibility for yourself.

The same should be valid for people: they all should be given a fair chance to succeed in life, and that means free education for all.

An educational system should not promote the wealthiest of people against the not so wealthy. It should provide the means for poor people to advance to thne upper echelons of society, if they are able.

So are you suggesting that everyone with a college education is on equal footing as the rich 1%??? Because that is laughable.

You really need to spend less time worrying about what other people have, and spend more time working on your own personal life.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

You are obviously one of the many who do not understand or are unaware of what actually has gone on in this country.

Research HJR-192 of 1933. When the gold was taken from the publics hands, we were given IOU's in the form of Federal Reserve "Notes". EVERYTHING in this country is already paid for, we just have to claim it. Your bond is what you accept for value and return for discharge. This guy is correct. His school should be paid for, he earned it by being born and by the House Joint Resolution 192 of 1933.

Do you think credit card companies actually have "money" and they actually PAY for the things you charge? Come on now, think really hard about that. A credit card is a claim check for property that is already paid for and you are picking it up. The credit card company sends the reciept, WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ON IT, to the Treasury and then the treasury gives the credit card compnay the amount you spent, AND THEN YOU DO TOO!!!!!

Think about it, how do you think they get so big and financially established? Come on people, use some damn common sense. FIGURE IT OUT.

Home mortgages are a scam, loans of any kind are a scam, taxes are a scam and so on. But who the he11 is really paying attention? Obviously very few of us.

The Promissory Note To Pay Our Debts

HJR-192 of June 5, 1933 is the promissory note (the promise of Abraham) the
government issued to balance the exchange to credit the people. The Promissory note is on the debit side of the United States Governments ledger, which was a debited from their credit, created by the Executive Order of April 5, 1933 when they took the gold out of circulation. Public Policy is rooted in HJR-192 and is Grace that creates our exemption. This is your temporal saving grace. Under grace, the law falls away to create a more perfect contract. Public Policy removed the people's liability to make all payments by making a contract null if it required the payment to be in substance, because the people didn't have any money to pay with. All that must be done now is to discharge the liability. Pay and discharge are similar words but the principles are as different as Old and New Testaments. The word "pay" is equated with gold and silver, or something of substance like a first-born lamb, which requires tangible work to be invested in it to remove the liability because an execution must occur. The word "Discharge" is equated with paper, or even more basic, simple credits and debits, that exist on paper only, like the slate held by the agents/angels of heaven that get swiped clean. You cannot pay a bill with a bill and you cannot pay a debt with a debt.

What HJR-192 did was, remove the liability of an obligor (someone obligated to
pay a debt) by making it against Public Policy to pay debts. All that needs to be done now is discharge the debit with an appropriate credit "dollar for dollar." Debt must be discharged dollar for dollar in the same sense, as sin was discharged on the Cross. The moment a debt exists, it must be written off. The catch is, we can't write off the debt because we are not in possession of the account in deficit; our fiduciary agent is in possession of the account so we must provide him with the tax return (by the return of the original offer) so the fiduciary can discharge the liability through their internal revenue service (the bookkeeper). Most feel that when the money was taken out of society, the people became the slaves, this is not true, the people were freed from every obligation that society could create thus freeing the people from any obligation which they may incur simply because we cannot pay a debt. Ask yourself the question, What are you charging me with? And how do you expect Me to pay? Simply said, there is no money, plain and simple for me to make the payment with and on top of that, if I were to pay, who is paying Me to pay that guy and who's paying that guy and so on... Public Policy is the supercedious bond because it limits our liability to pay. It is the more perfect contract because it operates on grace to pay our debts after we have done all that we can. We go as far as we can to fulfill the obligation (acceptance and tax return) and after we have done all we can, mercy and grace kick in being our exemption to make the payment. Grace creates our exemption in the industrial society so long as we accept the charge.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

People around here talk about "entitlement" like its some kind of horrible thing. In reality, we should at least be entitled to job, education, basic needs, and happiness... as long as the top 1% are buying and racing gold ferraris on private racetracks with rocket fuel.

Are you serious...you are ENTITLED a JOB??? Even an education, that falls on the shoulders of your parents and yourself...not the government...not rich people...no one else besides YOU.

Basic needs...yes...please show me someone that doesn't have "basic" needs (Hint...an iPhone is not a basic need). And happiness....no, you aren't entitled to that...the PURSUIT of happiness...but that falls on you to pursue.

as for the "people are responsible for their own situation" argument, well thats just dumb. Situational factors have let the top 1% get richer and richer, enhereting wealth and oportunity, while the rest of us are doomed to work constantly and relentlessly for a chance at signifiacantly less wealth and happiness then those who refuse to let go of their billions.

So what do you suggest? Take away money from those that earned it so it can be given to you that didn't earn it?

Far be it from us to demand basic needs from these billionairs who are struggling to feed their poor, underprivileged families!

Again...please tell me what "basic needs" you are referring to...and please show me an example of where our current system doesn't provide that. (Here's another hint....really think abou the word "basic").

Its time for change. Capitalism has been dead for years. It is now destroying the middle class. And when the middle class is gone, all you have is the very poor and the very rich. And thats when we all become SURFS. Aristocrats and slaves... reminiscent of czarist Russia.

And what is your solution? I'd be very interested to hear your solution.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join