It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street Protester Wants College Paid For Because That's What He Wants

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

That is ridiculous. First anyone can say that anonymously. Secondly it would be highly unusual for him to just make decent grades in high school and get 2 scholarships unless they were very small. I actually doubt most of (if not all of) what is written there. If you broke it down you can see it doesn't make much sense.

I made decent grades and scored very well on my ACT (grad from highschool in 04) I didn't get any scholarships and that is probably the situation with by far the majority. The fact that this guy wants to say something negative about other people because he supposedly (despite not showing his face and likely not being real) lucked into two scholarships covering almost all of his school costs? The nearest uni to me would cost me around 40 grand by the time i finished. I currently have 60 credits (equal to a two year degree) and am not in debt, but am also out of money to continue paying so i am at a crossroads. I also work 40 hours a week at min and its not that easy to get by on even as a young man without kids. I can't imagine what its like for someone with kids.

Also.. I guess I don't really need to say that he missed the point of what the 99% means and therefore his intelligence his called into question. He is the 99%. He's just an idiot to boot.
edit on 14-10-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I don't think higher education should be free and this is why, I have yet to meet anyone, anywhere that places VALUE on things handed to them, things they didn't have to earn. I do believe it should be affordable though and any citizen with the grades that is willing to flip burgers or run a cash register part time should be able to afford extended learning.

I think the primary problem (besides the ridiculous prices and the whole scam tied up in higher learning) is the youth are pissed off with good reason in one way... All their lives they heard they needed college to get a decent job, and now they have the piece of paper and the debt that goes with it, but no job that pays what they were LEAD to believe they could EARN with this piece of paper....in part they have legitimate complaint, on the other some of the unemployed are refusing jobs they feel are beneath them.

Don't get me wrong I am not against the protestors, I think they just need to get better versed in our nation's history before they start deciding what is wrong with it and exactly WHO the bad guys are.

At the same time I am pretty tired of hearing how poor they are and how bad they have it while all decked out in designer everything. If they want to understand poverty they should look to their grandparents childhood and young adulthood...THAT was POOR!

Most of these people protesting have never gone hungry a day in their lives, and as sad as it is to say I think they would all be of more mature complaint, argument and solution if they had.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Its just one guy. Otherwise, school should be more affordable and/or should be more accessible to the masses. Or, American students should be educated better to handle the high cost.
Edit: You can't take out little bits and pieces of this thing and claim it represents the whole. Like every "party", your going to have some nut-bags here and there.
edit on 14-10-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
yes sad though that this is 'learnt behaviour'.

most of the fat cats and sock puppets we have in Australia went to Uni for free. Didn't cost them a cent. Oh and they are the first ones to abolish the 'freedoms!' effing hypocrites!!

Unlike me... I paid too much for a degree I don't even use!

This individual probably saw Mummy or Daddy getting everything for nothing while every other joe blow had to work two jobs to get where they are now!!

monkey see, monkey want!
edit on 14-10-2011 by Thurisaz because: afterthought

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Most successful nations invest heavily in educating the next generation. It's about having a future strategy for the success of your nation. If you have sold your nation out to corporate interests, then it is all about making a fast buck and exploiting the education system for profit.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i made a thread last nite with that same video last nite and it got moved.

the dude is clueless and no amount of free cash is going to fix his problems.

Now that I can agree with. This guy knows nothing about the movement. He is one of those people who are just their because they think it is cool.

he is completely ignorant as to any of the real reasons anyone is over there and has no business giving interviews and has even less business holding signs like that.

How stupid do you have to be, to agree to do an interview on a subject you know nothing about?

I will never do an interview about Trigonometry and this guy should never do an interview about OWS... Plain and simple.

edit on 14-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
education should be considered part of infrastructure, and it should not be limited to youth.

i believe that everyone who learns something should only have to repay it by teaching it to someone else.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Ok so the same people that are saying that this kid and alot of the ones popping up on youtube do not represent the OWS movement, but will turn around and call the Tea Party a bunch of racists with hardly any video proof from any of the rallies? What????? Don't worry baby birds, momma is gonna still keep feeding you.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

That is because the people that come on here like that fail to understand not everyone can get a scholarship. They are limited in number, and pretty much once you have met the criteria for obtaining one it really does come down to little more than luck. That is in itself the whole problem with the "I did it this way you can too" mentality. It is rather well known that, those that achieve tend to play down the role other people and luck have had to do with them getting there while playing up the effort they put into it. More often than not success comes down to who liked you, as opposed to how qualified you really were.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Corporations wanted person status because that's what they wanted and they got it.
They wanted to export jobs to India and other nations so they could pay slave wages because that's what they wanted and they got that too.

But it's all ok for them to want and take because that's the american way and we can't be thought of as punishing success, right?

Why aren't they labeled lazy, dirty hippies wanting a handout, when we give corporations handouts all the time? Why is it wrong to ask that some of our taxes go toward college education? Where are our taxes going anyway? Oh right, to the politicians that keep voting in salary increases and health care we can only dream of...then they take our tax money to their banks along with their coroprate "incentives" to stack the deck in corporate favor.

How dare we be mad?

Since it's a duplicate thread here's a duplicate response. Not everyone is articulate on camera.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

I don't think the issue is whether or not education should be free. This man just wants his paid for because that's what he wants.
I also want college paid for for every American citizen becuse that's just what I want. What's so earth-shatteringly ignorant about that?

Do tell us where is that money going to come from?... If you think the rich elites the leftwingers help put in power are going to pay, you are in for a rude awakening, which leaves the rest of us to pay for idiots like that one.

BTW, I made a thread where I posted the video of one of the organizers for the anarchists and he admitted all they wanted was to protest, they didn't want any new reforms. Then you got the Obama fans who just want their idol to be in office longer so he can force-feed us his "progressive" draconian laws. That alongside the fact that these people ousted Fox News, and didn't do crap to CNN, or MSNBC shows that a mayority if not all of OWS are leftwingers who want their own handouts, but at the end none of these people understand that all they are demanding is for the middle class, many of which have to work 2-3 jobs, to pay for these people's free lunch...

The OWS protesters should learn what work ethics means, and yes there are corrupt bastards who are/were bailed out, but it was posible only because of leftwingers/progressives, and the OWS protesters should learn that just because some companies and CEOs were bailed out, they shouldn't be demanding for their own personal bailouts...

How about you all demand for all that money just to be returned to our coffers to pay for our national debt, and bring back jobs to our nation?...

Naa, it's better to just demand for the rest of Americans to pay for your college tuition, and then ask for them to pay for your car, how are you going to get to college after all, and then the taxpayers should also pay for your house, you know leftwingers need their beauty sleep and they can't work for themselves, they must demand for the taxpayers to pay it for them...

edit on 14-10-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

That the government pays for its peoples education, including higher education, is really a smart investment for the country. Its about the same as investing in infrastructure, also very smart.

Investing money in exploding bombs is a really stupid idea more or less your country nourishes itself from looting bombed out countries / intimidating others to give them what they want.

Of course government should pay for higher education, its the democratic thing to do (or else only the rich gets higher education, which is not democratic or fair), and its the smart thing to do for a country,

Give me one reason that its a bad thing for the people of a country to be highly educated?

- @Flein

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The reason we're in this situation in the 1st place is because most of society is nothing more than a bunch of blind, neive, selfish, gullible morons who are only concerned with their own personal desires Led by the gratification of uselessness of whatever is thrown at them.

Humans are responsible for letting this enslavement happen in the 1st place because they have no respect for their fellow man or themselves.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Ah the old demon of having to raise taxes to pay for something. Since I work for an employer and have no control of wages nor overtime, I eat a nice steak dinner by doing without other extravagances in order to pay for it. How much do laser guided smart bombs cost and exactly how many do we need? Or for that matter, how much does a Senator's lifetime pension cost and how many of those do we pay out?

Or come to thing of it, how much do we pay in interest each year to the Federal Reserve in order to use their notes and have our value of currency regulated outside of the direct control of the Congress as is mandated under the Constitution?

Money is there, tuition prices could be fixed at a certain rate in public colleges and universities. Taxes would not have to go up at all if educated thought was placed in the process. But what do I know, I don't have the benefit of a degree in basketweaving so my thoughts have no merit. Or at least that has how many interviews have gone in Ohio which has more colleges and universities than any other state.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

This man's demands are perfectly reasonable.

Here in Australia, education is paid for by the government and you pay them back once your salary reaches a certain level.

In a sane country, this would be the norm, but it's America after all, where things become so crap that when someone starts to demand some sense, some view it as insane.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GringoViejo
This is why the OWS crowd gets such a bad rep.

you just might say that #ows has some serious PR problems.
did i just say PR? hmmm. since when does "spontaneous
revolution" need PR? oh, you mean if you're dealing with
sheeple PR is a muss? oh. what? huh? naaaah.

i am confused.
are you?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
There are so many grants and scholarships in the US I couldn't even begin to list them all. Hell they have specialized free counseling groups to help you find ones that you meet the criteria for and then apply for them.

If the US adopted colleges as public education it would turn into the K-12 public school system - AKA a mega huge farking disaster that eats up money and produces little results.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
We have illegals come into this country and they get their education paid for. Why are we doing this for people who don't belong here and not for the people that are citizens?

Ummm...no.

Please show me where and how "illegals" get their education "paid for".

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I noticed that the people I know who went to Wall Street to protest (age 29ish to 31ish) expressed immaturity like I've not witnessed from them before this protest. Now, mind you that both parties I know have been collecting unemployment and using foodstamps for 3 or more years now and are supported by their parents. The parents buy their college education, iPhones, MacAirbooks, digital video cameras and fund their trip to NY. That also enables these kids to have expensive dinners in fine restaurants, drink fancy beer and good wine 5 days a week and go on vacations.

That's not my issue with them.

I'm annoyed when they blame me for all their woes because I'm a generation older. They have far more than I. I've never applied for unemployment or food stamps. I've been unemployed and gone hungry though. My parents have not given me a dime since I was 18 and moved out on my own. I wasn't allowed to come back because I'm an adult at 18 and they despised freeloading, spoiled children.

The protester's message is one of anger, blame and entitlement. Waaaah!

I know there are others there who have more going on upstairs than these kids.
We aren't seeing them or hearing them. It's an 'us' versus 'them' for the protesters on a generational level it seems. I'm still shocked. Who knew they were so angry and expect to have everything paid for?

Maybe they should all move to Libya. Education is FREE! So is housing...or they were until their leader was driven out of his country.

edit on 14/10/11 by RainbeauBleu because: why not?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Sadly, I'm finding that most that support OWS have the same mentality.

I would love for them to have a strong message with strong arguments to back up their message...but unfortunately that doesn't look like it's the case.

I have talked with several OWS supporters, here on ATS, on other sites, and out in the real world....they all sound like this guy. They are very passionate and direct with a message...but then you ask them "why" or "what's the solution"...they have nothing.

For all of you that want to have a free college education, please tell me how you plan for the government to pay for that. We can barely fund our public schools as it is now...and with such poor funding...the quality of that public school education SUCKS.

So how do you plan on funding up to 4 more years of college level education??? College is EXPENSIVE...Professors are more expensive than a HS teacher...specialized professors, state of the art equipment, and facilities are EXPENSIVE.

You want a free education...fine...go find some scholarships and grants....but I don't want a watered down college education system like what we have for public schools. We have enough idiots roaming the streets...we don't need more idiots with a degree.

Besides, if you make 4 years of college free...you have just reduced the value of a bachelors degree to nothing. You still won't find a job, because now you are going to need a Masters or higher...which isn't going to be free.

I'm really sick of people wanting a free ride...sometimes you have to put in the work yourself and sacrafice for what you want. MILLIONS of people have gone to college by either working hard to pay for it themselves, or getting student loans and paying them back. What makes kids today special that they need a different system???

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join