It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street Protester Wants College Paid For Because That's What He Wants

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The Govt should set a price ceiling for ALL private and public colleges.... X (not sure what X is) is the most any college or university can charge per year to a student....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

All that will do is increase the demand for higher education and more people will be pumped out of colleges with useless degrees and a mainstream neo-liberal ideology.

I wish some people would pull their heads out and think to themselves - gee, college is REALLY expensive. Maybe I don't really need that degree to get a decent job. I could go to technical school and become trained in something like HVAC and make a great living, and I can learn about history and the ways of the world with my own damn mind reading the books I CHOOSE (instead of some professor with a political ideology).

edit on 14-10-2011 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT
reply to post by jhn7537

All that will do is increase the demand for higher education and more people will be pumped out of colleges with useless degrees and a mainstream neo-liberal ideology.

I wish some people would pull their heads out and think to themselves - gee, college is REALLY expensive. Maybe I don't really need that degree to get a decent job. I could go to technical school and become trained in something like HVAC and make a great living, and I can learn about history and the ways of the world with my own damn mind reading the books I CHOOSE (instead of some professor with a political ideology).

What's wrong with increasing the demand for people wanting to go to school? I would prefer that over having kids finish school with $100k + of debt.....I would prefer for others to keep their money and get an education, verse people giving it all to institutions thats are ripping us off by increasing the cost of college 400%

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
don't be a part of the establishment trying to distract from what OWS is getting at

the american dream is dying, we are 10 years from a two class economy

don't be a part of the problem by spreading this nonsense

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I am not taking the conservative route...I am pointng out how contradictory OWS is. They want to claim it is about humanity and everyone being treated fairly...and that is total BS. They have no problems with taking away from those workiing overseas jobs so they CAN HAVE MORE FOR THEMSELVES.

It's greed...the same thing they are supposedly against.

You want to make things fair...then rally for the corporations to pay fair wages to those overseas...demand those people get fair wages. I could get behind that. And yes, that would bring jobs back anyway and the end result would be the same with those people losing jobs, but at least you wouldn't have a contradictory message...and you would be fighting for something that is worthwhile. Not pretending to fight against the greed of the 1% just to satisfy the greed of the 99%.

It's about message, it's about motive, and it's about action....OWS has none of those...the sooner it gets hijacked into a political movement, the better.

And you better start thinking about working within the political process...or nothing will get done. OWS needs to do what the Tea Party did. I don't like the Tea Party...I think their motives are partly to mostly racism...BUT....they got things done. They blocked most of the health care reform (they still may succeed in getting it fully repealed) and they won an election...the Dems got toasted in 2010...because of the Tea Party.

OWS needs to do that...they need to appeal to the Dems or they are just a bunch of morons with no message, no solution...and a whole lot of misdirected energy. Misdirected energy doesn't do anything except create noise...it needs to be focused.

I'm not mad at the OWS protestors...I'm mad at their lack of focus and their naiviety of their beliefs.

You can cry all you want about how the political process doesn't work...but when you aren't participating in it...that blame goes right back on to yourself.

I'm pissed because I see idiots throwing away a great opportunity...I see idiots being more concerned about FEELING like they are doing something than actually DOING SOMETHING.

Good luck trying to change something without being political...maybe this is the reason a lot of the OWS protestors are unemployed...they don't understand basic rules of the game.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Artificially increasing demand by setting a price ceiling is just that - artificial! There are too many people heading for college that shouldn't be. It's become a racket and a profit center and not about education.

Some of the smartest, most intelligent people I've met are skilled tradesmen. We need more of them so the good blue collar jobs don't go to illegals even more. We've pretty much lost construction and the culinary arts to cheap labor. If we loose things like trucking and transportation, it's game over for the US, and it will be partly due to this false mentality that EVERY kid has to go to college.

Not going to college DOES NOT equal an uneducated stupid person. My uncle is a retired machinist and he could probably school any history professor.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
The Govt should set a price ceiling for ALL private and public colleges.... X (not sure what X is) is the most any college or university can charge per year to a student....

So let me get this straight.

You are going to set a price ceiling of X...I'm assuming X is going to be lower, or at least equal to the current average tuition.

So yes...this is going to cause more people to go to college....which means colleges are going to need more professors to teach all these new students...and they are going to need more dorms to hold all these students...and they are going to need more buildings for classes...and they are going to need more non-faculty staff to run all these new buildings.

So...yeah...where is the college going to get all the money for all these new expenses when you have just briliantly capped their sole source of income?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

So...yeah...where is the college going to get all the money for all these new expenses when you have just briliantly capped their sole source of income?

Ask the people of California when they enacted price ceilings on energy...

Price ceilings = shortages.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I am not taking the conservative route...I am pointng out how contradictory OWS is. They want to claim it is about humanity and everyone being treated fairly...and that is total BS. They have no problems with taking away from those workiing overseas jobs so they CAN HAVE MORE FOR THEMSELVES.

I haven't heard that said once. Personally, it's fine with me if the jobs stay there as long as they are paid what americans would be with the same benefits. Create new jobs here, that's fine. But, don't pretend corporations are not exploiting the poor, it just happens to be screweing americans at the same time.

It's about message, it's about motive, and it's about action....OWS has none of those...the sooner it gets hijacked into a political movement, the better.

Huh? Do you see it that way because it's things you can't see or wouldn't say/do yourself? You'd do it differently, so it's all wrong? You aren't being asked personally to join nor is anyone trying to convince you to. I am giving my perspective and defending something I support.

And you better start thinking about working within the political process...or nothing will get done. OWS needs to do what the Tea Party did. I don't like the Tea Party...I think their motives are partly to mostly racism...BUT....they got things done. They blocked most of the health care reform (they still may succeed in getting it fully repealed) and they won an election...the Dems got toasted in 2010...because of the Tea Party.

The political process as in reminding Washington DC who they work for, yes. Getting involved and accepting existing political leadership, no. That is a recipe for the same old BS.

Good luck trying to change something without being political...maybe this is the reason a lot of the OWS protestors are unemployed...they don't understand basic rules of the game.

That is part of it, we don't want to play this game anymore. The deck is stacked against us.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

So let me get this straight, you believe college is priced correctly right now?

We live in a society today where a HS diploma isnt good enough anymore, heck, a college degree almost isnt good enough anymore, before you know it, everyone will need a MBA or better....There was once a time 15-20 years ago when college was reasonably priced, but now college has been priced so high that people can't go...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT
reply to post by jhn7537

Artificially increasing demand by setting a price ceiling is just that - artificial! There are too many people heading for college that shouldn't be. It's become a racket and a profit center and not about education.

Some of the smartest, most intelligent people I've met are skilled tradesmen. We need more of them so the good blue collar jobs don't go to illegals even more. We've pretty much lost construction and the culinary arts to cheap labor. If we loose things like trucking and transportation, it's game over for the US, and it will be partly due to this false mentality that EVERY kid has to go to college.

Not going to college DOES NOT equal an uneducated stupid person. My uncle is a retired machinist and he could probably school any history professor.

Not everyone wants to work a blue collar job being a skilled tradesman... And you act like there is a demand for those people today....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

Nice! Lets pick out the one idiot in the crowd based on his sign that has absolutely no idea how to talk infront of a camera and then use that to discredit the entire movement. Good job OP, Im glad you were able to troll youtube until you found a video of a moron simply to prove your oppinion.

As to the video itself, why not? If our Government is going to tax us to pay for the world's largest prison population that is only as high as it is simply because Government itself refuses to listen to the people and remove laws that the people themselves do not agree with, why cant this guy have a free education? If we are to be taxed to pay for illegal and undeclared wars that we the people do not wish to be apart of, then again, why not? And surely, if we the people can pay to bail out banks and have them turn around and throw us out of our own homes, why can this man not be educated and used to better society?

It seems to me that we should be spending more time educating our youth instead of locking them up or sending them over seas to die in a war the American people want nothing to do with. It seems though that the only time you're able to get anything free in this country is when you wear a nice suit and lie to the people that elected you to represent them.
edit on 14-10-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
There is an opportunity to make a choice about this protest. It may have been started with no real clear goals, but people all over the world have joined in. They aren't protesting so American kids can go to college free. There are much larger issues like the Federal Reserve and the very structure and definition of government.

The kids are kids at OWS. The rest of us need to jump in and steer this in a seriously revolutionary direction.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I haven't heard that said once. Personally, it's fine with me if the jobs stay there as long as they are paid what americans would be with the same benefits.

So you are fine with that? You are fine with American corporations exporting jobs as long as they get paid fairly?

Because I swear that you personally and OWS have been saying you are angry about them exporting jobs and taking those jobs away from Americans.

So let's get the message straight...are we angry about them exporting jobs making it even harder for Americans to find jobs....or are we angry at corporations taking advantage of poorer people than you?

If it's the latter...then let's have the message be for the government to force corporations to pay foreigners a fair wage overseas, instead of asking the government to tax corporations to hell until they bring back jobs.

This is what I mean...there is no message.

Huh? Do you see it that way because it's things you can't see or wouldn't say/do yourself? You'd do it differently, so it's all wrong? You aren't being asked personally to join nor is anyone trying to convince you to. I am giving my perspective and defending something I support.

I can see the ridiculous things they claim they are protesting...I also see they are clueless about the things they are protesting.

And I have to say...this thread isn't helping the cause...no OWS supporter is making one bit of sense. I want free college...I want tuition caps....I want more jobs...I want equal opportunities (by taking away from others)...I want, I want, I want.

And they are AGAINST greed...right???

The political process as in reminding Washington DC who they work for, yes. Getting involved and accepting existing political leadership, no. That is a recipe for the same old BS.

And how are you going to remind them who they work for....by not voting???

That makes you a non-factor...it makes your concerns unimportant...because why would a politician work on your cause if you aren't even going to bother to vote for him? Or...how do you expect a politician to get into office to even TRY to work for your cause if you aren't going to bother to vote for him?

Who is better aligned with OWS...Dems or Republicans? Please don't say third party or independent....I can't take much more fantasy thoughts.

That is part of it, we don't want to play this game anymore. The deck is stacked against us.

If you don't even want to try to play the game...don't cry when you aren't winning at the game. And please don't tell those that did play the game well that they now owe you because you didn't play the game.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by narwahl

What the hell is wrong with you people, you pay taxes through the nose for everything they can think of, and they are still creating rules to tax you with.
Someone other than the rich, or, the government is fortunate enough to use some of those taxes in a responsible way, far more responsibly than the government giving your money to cronies to keep them afloat because they made bad decisions and lost billions of their own money.
And you call him a welfare queen!.
Jealous little so and so aren't you.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Man, how dare he request the right to a Free Education. He should get a life, join the rat race, indebted up to his eyeballs and become part of the economical machine. He should be forced into hard labour for holding these beliefs, stupid boy!!

Not sure why you assume someone has to become massively indebted in order to make somthing of themselves.

In the next year or so ill be making over 100k a year, and i have never once taken out a loan except for my mortgage, regretfully. Nor do i have a monthly balance on my credit card.

Its called financial responsibility. If Americans realized such a thing was possible, maybe you wouldnt be in such a mess. DONT FEED THE BANKS!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Nice job dodging my practicle question.

And yes...I do beleive college is priced fine right now...it's expensive...it's hard work (or at least it should be)...and it takes some dedication.

All of that translates into a system where only people who are willing to sacrafice will go...and even with that system...a lot of college students aren't there to learn...they are there to party. And then they drop out or flunk out...and cry about their loans.

You make that free...and you are telling me everyone is going to all about the education???

Now...please answer my question and don't dodge this time Where is the college going to get the revenue for all the increased expenses it is going to have with the huge influx of students???

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by e11888

Nice! Lets pick out the one idiot in the crowd based on his sign that has absolutely no idea how to talk infront of a camera and then use that to discredit the entire movement.

Please find me one video of an OWS protestor that does know what they are talking about.

All I've seen is idiots.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Not everyone wants to work a blue collar job being a skilled tradesman... And you act like there is a demand for those people today

And not everyone has the intelligence and determination to make it through college and be successfull at the white-collar jobs.

Sorry...that's just the way it is.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Not everyone wants to work a blue collar job being a skilled tradesman... And you act like there is a demand for those people today....

Are you serious? You need to get out a little more...

www.workforce.com...

jobs.aol.com...

"In a recent Talent Shortage Survey conducted by employment agency Manpower Inc., employers cited skilled trade positions as the most difficult openings to fill."

Skilled trade jobs (and that now include computers and some high tech jobs that don't require a 4 year degree) have the highest demand of any job category! But the US has produced children with such an entitlement mentality that they think they should be guaranteed a cushy 9 to 5 job in a perfectly air conditioned office type work setting. This is one of the main reasons why good paying skilled trade jobs are going to foreign citizens.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join