It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Many US Manufacturing Jobs, So Few Skilled Workers, (what?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is just brilliant, learn people how big corporations are selling in congress how much they need H1B visas to hired skilled workers because they can not find them in the US.

Technology giant Siemens Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's Siemens AG, has over 3,000 jobs open all over the country. More than half require science, technology, engineering, and math-related skills.

Other companies report job vacancies that range from six to 200, with some positions open for at least nine months.

With 17 million Americans unemployed this big companies claim they can not find skilled workers?

Where are the young people out there just recently grad that are waiting for a job that is not happening this is your opportunity to prove this corporations wrong.

Unemployment in manufacturing is at 8.4 percent, below the overall rate of 9.1 percent. According to the Labor Department's latest Job Openings and Labor Turnover survey, there were 240,000 open jobs in manufacturing in August up 38.7 percent from a year ago.

The problem is sufficiently serious that businesses are pushing Congress to address the issue of visas and help them hire more high-skilled foreigners

The whole article is so deceiving, what this companies wants is to bring foreign workers for less pay to save their profits.

I say lets inundate their employment offices with job applicants and show them that America is full of willing skilled workers.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Big corporations don't want to hire the honest worker, they want the deceitful criminal worker. How else will they get their money?

edit on 13-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
sorry but anything CNBC say has a hidden agenda for some type of propoganda. this is almost funny.
edit on 13-10-2011 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Kinda hard to get High Tech jobs when the education system in America sucks.

The majority of high tech majors are filled with foreign born students whose education was far superior to ours.

We keep cutting education cost and wondering why the future looks so dark.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Yeah that's the exact same thing that's happening in technology. What's funny is that most of those positions probably don't actually need some high-tech skills other than ones you can get in high school...they're just slapping random requirements on to bring over foreign labor.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Companies used to have training programs for new hires. It seems that is not so anymore.

I believe that you could take a high school drop out with a good work ethic and under the right tutelage have him/her performing as well as the best CAD, Welder, etc in the building within six months.

Those days are gone now it seems.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I stated in another thread that machinist are in big demand right now. For years there were not enough new ones coming in, now lots of current machinist are nearing retirement age and companies are looking to replace them. It is not one of the glamorous careers that most kids want. Too many thought that being something like a lawyer would be a better option.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well, it is true. Skilled workers are difficult to find. Apparently, everyone decided they needed a liberal arts degree or a degree in business from a university, or they graduated from High School without the education needed to be successful in vocational training.

It also does not help when so many young people are drug users, and have a criminal record that prevents them from getting the security passes needed to work in secure areas like ports. One manufacturing company here in Panama city lost almost half their workforce when the new port pass law went into effect after 9/11. They could not pass the background check.

There are a lot of technical jobs available and nobody with the skills to fill them. Thank the dumbing down of our educational system by the liberal idiots running it for the number of people who do not have the basic skills needed to be successful at anything but complaining.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Believe it or not, much of this article rings true.

A college graduate with a degree in journalism or psychiatry cant sit through a 2 week training course and become a engineer or designer.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
There is NO SUCH THING as few skilled workers in America, an advance nation, regardless if white or blue collar jobs. Let's cut the BS now, once and for all!!

The honest truth is that CORPORATIONS REFUSE TO PAY SUSTAINABLE WAGES TO AMERICANS, PREFERRING IMPORTED CHEAP FOREIGN LABOUR!!!

Corporations had long derided americans as lazy, demanding, whatever, until the masses woke up recently and challenged them back with the facts. No american would refuse a job but only if it cannot even keep him alive, let alone his family.

The standard of living as well as the rise in inflation over the years had impacted the stagnant wages for years. Working 24/7 are for robots, NOT for humans! American workers ARE NOT SLAVES!!! The foreigner cheap charlies can work for next to nothing because they remit their dollars back home and retire as KINGS in their backward mismanaged slave driven corrupt countries that deprives our fellow human brothers and sisters there of human dignity, to be trampled upon forever by the powerful, the rich and the elites.

The founding fathers whom gave their lives for future generations certainly had NEVER intended America a slave nation. Do the puppet elected legislators in collusion with the corporations that now rules want this great country the same as undeveloped nations? Seems likely and soon, the way morons rule in Congress!

Corporations do not suffer, as they just pass on the costs of inflation to the consumers, or thanks to globalization with gov's protection for them and not american workers, flee to slave nations to make immense profits, not for the country, not for taxes, not for anyone but only themselves. As such, today we see the income gap a glaring chasm.

The corporations know it. But they and their puppet gov will not change or corect their errors. So be it. When they screw with their own human resources that gave them their wealth, such resources will one day screw them back when enough is enough.
edit on 13-10-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
I stated in another thread that machinist are in big demand right now. For years there were not enough new ones coming in, now lots of current machinist are nearing retirement age and companies are looking to replace them. It is not one of the glamorous careers that most kids want. Too many thought that being something like a lawyer would be a better option.

I know a few machinists and I would NEVER want their job. The hassles they discuss about their normal day to day job is mind-blowing and the pay isnt very much over non-skilled folks whom have it much easier.

Office folks make the same or more money and they have nice cozy and quiet jobs sitting on their rears all day long where paper-cuts are their worst injury not constant cuts, metal fragments, and bruised knuckles.

Office folks get to play on their PCs all day on Facebook and Myspace, text and play on their office phone and listen to music so WHY the HECK would any youngster want to be in a noisy, filthy, injury-ridden, complex, constant hassle shop all day?? Plus looking at men all day long is a depressing sight.

I'll take a better paying office job ANYDAY!!!!
edit on 13-10-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I live in Ga, home of no only UGA, Mercel and GA tech, we have plenty of Grads from GA Tech that can testify that they are willing able and skilled, but sadly unemployed many are even willing to relocate.

But is a war against Americans workers, no only from our own governemnt but from Corporate America also.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
There is NO SUCH THING as few skilled workers in America, an advance nation, regardless if white or blue collar jobs. Let's cut the BS now, once and for all!!

The honest truth is that CORPORATIONS REFUSE TO PAY SUSTAINABLE WAGES TO AMERICANS, PREFERRING IMPORTED CHEAP FOREIGN LABOUR!!!

MALE COW FEECES. Almost any SKILLED worker can find a good paying job. Right now a CERTIFIED welder makes more than a Mechanical Engineer and my company can't find enough of them. Your "CHEAP FOREIGN LABOUR" doesn't exist when it comes to SKILLED labor. If you hire them in "cheap" a month or two later somebody hires them out from under you. When you do find someone who is qualified, 2 out of 5 can't pass a background check or a drug test.

What's happened here is too many BA degrees have saturated the market, while our education system shuns the people who obtain BS or Technical Degrees. When I went back to school a few years ago, I had an instructor for a History class who was going after his Master's degree in Romance Languages. He constantly made snide remarks about me going into engineering and my being a Veteran. He graduated at the same time I did. I ran into him about a year later, he served me my coffee at a drive-thru coffee shop.

I wonder how many of those at OWS waving signs complaining about their student loan debt have BA degrees in subjects that are basically useless? I don't blame them, I blame our education system.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
the problem is the same as all over the world that at one point there was plenty of skilled engineers so companies didn't bother to pay for the next generation of what they needed as it was cheaper to recruit rather than train since they got the person able to work that day rather than wait years for them to pass their apprenticeship but now those guys are retiring the o-doo-doo reflex is hitting and thats what causes the problems

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

I agree, while US government keeps telling that recession is over, our standards of living keep falling while the cost of living keeps raising and you if lucky to get a job is going to be lower in wages that before the recession

Up to 17. 5 less in wages for the same job you used to have.

Our nation is going backward.

Recession officially over, but US incomes kept falling

Between June 2009, when the recession officially ended, and June 2011, inflation-adjusted median household income fell 6.7 percent, to $49,909, according to a study by two former Census Bureau officials. During the recession — from December 2007 to June 2009 — household income fell 3.2 percent.

One reason pay has stagnated is that many people who lost their jobs in the recession — and remained out of work for months — have taken pay cuts in order to be hired again. In a separate study, Henry S. Farber, an economics professor at Princeton, found that people who lost jobs in the recession and later found work again made an average of 17.5 percent less than they had in their old jobs.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

My husband works in an office and is on his computer
everyday.His workload keeps him so busy that he forgets
to eat his lunch at times.
If a major project is coming up due,he even has to work
from home on his "day" off or go in.
Sometimes he is on a call list if there is a problem at work.
We have had calls for him to fix a problem late into the evening
or when he had just come home.
Having an office job is not all it's cracked up to be.There are some
who can goof off and have a great time playing on their pc's.This
is one of the reasons why others have more work dumped on them
to make up the slack.
Some people have great work ethics and a lot don't,they are too lazy
and fob the work onto others.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

ya dude but most of those foreignors where taught in American schools. for free. by the taxpayers. they got their awesome education from American schools!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have often wondered why our Public Propaganda education system taught meaningless BS for the past two or more decades. The answer is now clear.

This was a deliberate annihilation of America. Prescription poison given to everyone who was considered different, Creation of the Poor Me society, Illegal drugs from Afghanistan shipped directly into our neighborhoods. Education built on Propaganda much like our entire system. Poison in our water, air, and food supply.

Welcome to the US of Snakes.

I hope our foreign neighbors figure this out before they become pawns to the Machine.

Peace to all

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

thank you and a star for you. i was gonna say the same thing but ya beat me to it.
fact of the matter is, i am and have been a skilled worker for 20 years. but i cannot get work. umm excuse me, i did find work in my skill, had to take a 10 dollar an hour pay cut. and then i found 1 that did pay right but wait. when it actually came to payday my checks where wrong. when i called the labor board they said as long as they paid me minimum wage there was nothing they could do. wtf?
so there is actually nothing for a skilled worker right now, have my union card also and told it would be at least 2 years before i hear anything. this thread and article is complete lies and B.S.
or i could go from $20 an hour to $7.25 an hour and then hear crap about why i cant make mortgage and that i was a bad investment.
uuggggghhhhh ready to punch something, gonna take a timeout now. peace!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by marg6043

I believe that you could take a high school drop out with a good work ethic and under the right tutelage have him/her performing as well as the best CAD, Welder, etc in the building within six months.

Those days are gone now it seems.

self taught in some computer programs, hosting, editing, photography, blah blah when I was 16-17..completely stopped playing video games and being generally lazy.. dropped out of high school in 08' and started working for a local small business owner,,, benefited him enough that I soon started making 5-7k a month with no experience- just adaption and continual application.. still working for same business, but it's been a while since I made good figures
... Even if I slaved away 12hrs/6 days/week I probably couldn't touch what I use to make..

Looking at the economic situation and pending collapse.... I really don't see the appeal in spending another year graduating HS, and just throwing my money away getting some useless garbage college certificate

Good thing I had the forethought to invested in a decade-plus worth of food- just in case I'm cast into irrelevance within this whole magnificent system

edit on 13-10-2011 by WaffleBear because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join