It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Denver - Showdown Coming Friday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Currently, in Denver, the Occupy people are set up in Civic Center Park, which sits right across the street from the state capital building. The Colorado Governor, John Hickenlooper (D), and Denver Mayor, Michael Hancock (D), have not instructed the police to disperse the crowd. Governor Hickenlooper has gone on the radio and said he wants them to leave, but he will NOT force it (at least not now). The Occupy Denver people are camping in a public park that has a curfew and they are camping without a permit. Personally, I don't think that people should have to file for a permit if they are part of an organized protest.

Governor Hickenlooper is an up-and-coming star in the Democratic party, and the last thing he wants to become is Herbert Hoover. He is torn between the rule of law, and his reelection and future political career in his party. The rule of law says he should move the protesters out, but since OWS is a Democrat movement, backed by Democrats in Congress and elsewhere, he does not want to alienate he people who voted for him. Mayor Hancock is struggling with the same quandary.

Tomorrow, Friday October 13th, a local radio host is going to broadcast from the protest site. He is called a "right wing nut" by the far left, and he's called a "left wing liberal" by the far right. The radio host is pro-gay rights, anti-illegal immigration. He's been one of the few people in Denver who has given a voice to the Occupy Denver people, and has been fair to both fringes of the issues. In fact, he's defended the Occupy Denver people when callers have called them "dope smoking hippies". He has noted that he hasn't smelled any weed, and that the people in Occupy Denver are behaving themselves quite well.

Now, for the hypocrisy of Governor Hickenlooper and the state of Colorado. As I stated above, the host is going to broadcast from the event. However, he has been DENIED a permit to do so, even though he's broadcast from that same location in the past. He figures that since the protesters don't have a permit, then he's not going to abide by the law either, and he's going to set up and broadcast anyway, even if it lands him in jail. He needs the support of the Occupy Denver and OWS groups. It's a goose and gander thing.

Let's look at the 1st Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If he is arrested, this will be a violation of the "abridging the freedom of speech" and "the press" and "the right of the people peacefully to assemble". He's even trying to point out the common ground between the Tea Party folks (the real ones, not the Republican shills), and after listening to him all week, it's evident he is going to try and put the Occupy Denver into the best light possible. He keeps talking about how awesome it would be to unify the causes. Imagine OWS and the Tea Party standing hand-in-hand, demanding change, demanding the that the Federal Reserve be abolished! If he doesn't get arrested, this will be good for everyone involved.

Support this man, Peter Boyles, and listen to him live tomorrow morning starting at 5am Mountain Time. KHOW Radio
edit on 13-10-2011 by navy_vet_stg3 because: Added host's name....

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I do like the idea of shedding the protests in a good light for a change. However, I do have to disagree with the understanding that this movement is democratic in nature. The downfall of OWS will be comments like this that turn it into the next "tea party." This movement is and should remain completely unaffiliated with the Republicrats of america...

Edit to add: Especially if it spreads to other nations across the world... Then it would be IMPOSSIBLE to call this a democratic movement.
edit on 10/13/2011 by nathanscottecho because: Left something out

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nathanscottecho

Actually, it's the OWS people NOT denouncing news like this...

abcnews.go.com...
www.politico.com...
news.yahoo.com...

That's going to be the problem, not comments like mine that merely point it out. If OWS is to be 'non-partisan" then they need to be VERY vocal and tell the Dems to f*ck off. Unless that's done, people on the right (like me) will have a hard time getting behind them completely. I saw the Tea Party get hijacked, and it's happening now to OWS. If OWS focuses on these issues, we could actually see a merger between the true Tea Party people and the OWS people.

1) End the Fed.
2) Fair taxes.
3) Jobs, jobs, and jobs.
4) Enforce the laws and put the crooks in jail who rob the country!

That's a good start to begin a merger of sorts.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

More in charge need to see that throwing any kind of authority at a Protest could equal riot...

Thought that was common sense after the Civil rights movement, They are on the wrong side of the issue and history will only paint them as the oppressors they really are.

A smart leader tells the cops to keeps their distance but watch, as long as its not violent do nothing, that way when the press takes pictures they see board cops and disorganized protesters.

The blowback on the elites is just gonna keep getting bigger and bigger if they keep this up.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

That's going to be the problem, not comments like mine that merely point it out. If OWS is to be 'non-partisan" then they need to be VERY vocal and tell the Dems to f*ck off. Unless that's done, people on the right (like me) will have a hard time getting behind them completely.

Until people stop seeing things as Partisan in this country nothing will get done, I've never understood the party thing. I am Republican on some issues, Libertarian on others and Dem on still others, NO one tells me how to think, and Right and Wrong are not divided by party line.

THe partisanship is the reason the tea party failed, you had people being SUPER republican, so Dems said, I like some of those ideas, but they are all Reps, can't join in. So you get OWS, and you get Reps going hey I like their ideas but there all dems....

WAY to fall for the divisive tactics of the elite...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The thing is, Peter is supporting the protester's rights to assemble and protest, and several of the leaders that Peter has had on appear to be supporting him. It would be great if the cops came in and the protesters took a stand. This could get dicey, but FREEDOM is FREEDOM, and we all need to support it.

Like I've always said, I may not agree with what some people say, but I'll fight for their rights to say it. The 1st Amendment isn't about what we want to hear, it's about protecting the rights of people to say what we may not want to hear.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Very well said indeed... Please get out of my mind

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

That's going to be the problem, not comments like mine that merely point it out. If OWS is to be 'non-partisan" then they need to be VERY vocal and tell the Dems to f*ck off. Unless that's done, people on the right (like me) will have a hard time getting behind them completely.

Until people stop seeing things as Partisan in this country nothing will get done, I've never understood the party thing. I am Republican on some issues, Libertarian on others and Dem on still others, NO one tells me how to think, and Right and Wrong are not divided by party line.

THe partisanship is the reason the tea party failed, you had people being SUPER republican, so Dems said, I like some of those ideas, but they are all Reps, can't join in. So you get OWS, and you get Reps going hey I like their ideas but there all dems....

WAY to fall for the divisive tactics of the elite...

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lol i completely agree. Until we move beyond the idea of bipartisanism and realize it is nothing more than a means to keep us divided we will never create a "grass roots" movement that works. However, If everybody joins together and offers up their ideas and opinions, we can steer this movement in the direction it needs to go.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
this is defently geting exciteing occupy movment poping up evreywher all over the place. its nice to see anything againt the 1% make it this far. i think the internet is trully becoming a thorn in the thous rascaly pwers that be's side

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I couldn't agree more! I'm a mutt when it comes to political stances. Far left hates me, far right hates me, and I just can't seem to get a break. HA!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I listen to him every morning and I absolutely love the guy. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the mayor's office when he heard Pete saying "We don't need no stinking permit" and talking about setting up there tomorrow. I'm guessing he'll have no problems and they'll let him do the show, hoping he goes away later. Will be interesting to listen to for sure.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

I'm looking forward to it. I'm usually up around 4:30am, but in the shower when Pete comes on in the 5 o'clock, but I'll be getting up earlier so that I can catch him from the beginning. I know the Looper and Hancock don't have much use for Boyles for making them look bad, so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pull something. And, as far as permits go, wasn't that the same location where they were broadcasting a year or so ago when Pete had parked in Ritter's parking spot? I don't know if you remember that one, but Ritter actually came over to the stage and asked Pete for his keys. Pete replied with something like, "I don't think so, you'll take it and give it to an illegal alien." Classic moment.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

That was too damn funny, I remember him saying that as well, but not sure if that is the same location or not. I'll have to stream the earlier stuff, 5am doesn't happen unless the house is engulfed in flames.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I live in Colorado and have been watching the "Occupy Denver" movement steadily grow in size over the last few weeks. I fully believe in the protestors constitutional right to protest - Hell I defended that right and the rest of the constitution. I think it is great that the protests in Denver and across the nationwide are peaceful in nature and are getting so much attention nationwide. Overall, I agree with a lot of what those protesting are out there saying. I too am tired of the way the economy is going, the way the nation is being run, spending billions of dollars on a war that should have never been started (and one I fought in). For the most part I say good for them.

HOWEVER - Govenor Hickenlooper has asked the protestors to desist their protest after 11:00pm as of tonight, in accordance with not only city, but state law. The Govenor is not asking this as to infringe on anyone's rights to protest, he is asking them to follow the laws of their state. In watching the local news (Denver KDVR) the reporter was downtown interviewing some of the people at the state capitol. Several people interviewed stated they were "ready for the fight" and even had went as far as to buy goggles and gas masks.

This is where I have a problem with this. I realize that those persons down there protesting are very passionate about their cause, but they still have the responsibility to follow the law of the land. If they refuse to follow the laws, there is consequences. It appears that the protestors are becoming the aggressors, and with that I have lost all respect for those who choose to stay and fight with police. Whether one agrees with the law or not, if one chooses not to follow the set law they are subject to arrest. I can only imagine the amount of people who will refuse to leave when asked then ordered, resist arrest when the police attempt to take them into custody, and then cry about how they were brutalized by the police. It is no secret that the police are trained in physical ways to control someone who is fighting with them, and they will do so. Whether you believe that is right or wrong, that is the way it is. No matter how you feel about police, when a law enforcement of fire official gives someone a lawful order to do something, and someone refuses to do it, that person is violating the law. There are plenty of things I see and hear about police officers that I do not agree with, but I know that arguing or fighting with police is against the law. There is still about 90 minutes to go until the 11:00 cut off comes, so we will see what happens. For those protestors who follow the law and come back at 5:00AM to continue their protest: My hat is off to you. For those protestors who feel they are not required to follow the rules: Don't cry when you get arrested. I fear that a small amount of protestors will ruin it for the majority.

I don't understand why some of those protesting think the laws don't apply to them and that they are not required to follow them. If you don't like the laws, work to change them. Until then either follow the laws or go to jail, just like any other criminal offense. It seems like a percentage of the protestors are egging for a fight and are already planning on it. So much for a peaceful protest.

I realize that my opinion may not be popular with others on this site. I swore to give my life to defend the constitution and believe very strongly in what it says. But I also feel very strongly that laws are meant to be followed and if a person cannot or refuses to do so, there are negative consequences for such. I believe everyone has an equal responsibility to follow the set laws of the area they are in and have no respect for anyone who purposely goes looking for a fight.

top topics

join