It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is science?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I've read some books that define science according to experimental methods, but I think the real definition of science is broader.

My definition: science is a belief that things behave mostly according to laws that we can discover and use for our benefit. A prehistoric hunter who observes animal behaviour to improve his hunting is a scientist. On the other hand a hunter who prances around with antlers on his head to improve his hunting is not a scientist (unless it actually works reliably). Fundamentally science is mostly atheistic, because too much involvement from God would mess up the experiments. Believing in a God that does nothing is no different from being an atheist, so all scientists and all humans are atheists whether they acknowledge it or not.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

Stopped reading when you said science is a belief.....that is too big of a fail for me to continue.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Science: to try to explain the physical world by reveling its laws.
The problem is that we have a soul that does not belong to the physical world, it belongs to the spirit world, so i think science will never explain it all, because it only studies the temporary world, it does not study the spirit world, the home of our souls.
And, all life is composed by physical and spirit, we humans are a body-soul complex. The science will never understand it because they cant reach the soul.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well I read your entire definition, and am intrigued by the logic of the last line.

Might want to replace "belief" with "convention" or something less subjective.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

If people like you only knew science came from celestial beings called Annunaki aka Demons aka Fallen Angels, you would know better, about science.

Of Course they don't whant you to believe in God, because if you do, you will go against their principles or their hybrid agenda. What those celestial beings taught humans to do with science? Any Scientis that goes deep inside the rabbit hole, will turn out chipping in with the agenda of the new world order, now why is that?

Because their is a darker side and number one threat to science is not religion, but the bible, the truth, the word of God.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Science is not about "belief". Religion is about belief, ideology is about belief, science is about fact. Theory has a place in science but that is not about belief, it is about logically derived expectation based upon previously observed fact.. Science is, at it's basic level, a formalized method for revealing the characteristics and properties of the real world.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Human4life

The motto of ATS, and it could be for science in general, is: Deny Ignorance. You obviously misread it as: Embrace Ignorance. Might want to give it a second look.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday
I've read some books that define science according to experimental methods, but I think the real definition of science is broader.

My definition: science is a belief that things behave mostly according to laws that we can discover and use for our benefit. A prehistoric hunter who observes animal behaviour to improve his hunting is a scientist. On the other hand a hunter who prances around with antlers on his head to improve his hunting is not a scientist (unless it actually works reliably). Fundamentally science is mostly atheistic, because too much involvement from God would mess up the experiments. Believing in a God that does nothing is no different from being an atheist, so all scientists and all humans are atheists whether they acknowledge it or not.

Too much involvment from god would mess up experiments? Where is your proof of this? Science is not a belief. To answer your question, the real definition of science is knowledge of any kind. Your definition makes me cringe, but since its your opinion, I can't do anything about that.
edit on 13-10-2011 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
science is simply the objective measure of cause and effect, often subjective variables need to be operationalized in order quantify such variables (most often observed in the social sciences)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2
reply to post by Human4life

The motto of ATS, and it could be for science in general, is: Deny Ignorance. You obviously misread it as: Embrace Ignorance. Might want to give it a second look.

Thats exactly what made me read your comment, embracing your comment sure feel terrible, I better deny that.

Embrace got me to read your comment and Denial got me to accept it, Ignorance lets me question everything after all.

So if I Embrace Ignorance on Denial it takes me to read your comment all over again..

edit on 13-10-2011 by Human4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Science is a method from which we can make testable observations of the universe.
From t's application developed pretty much all modern technology, from computers on down to clothing.

(Hope that works.)
Feynman was a great physicist, and the video is a description of science.

Should be noted that Theist scientists see their studies to be an effort to see how God works, with the fundamental laws being his tools.
edit on 13-10-2011 by RuneSpider because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Science is the consensus of opinion till proven wrong.
I think that sums it up.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

Manula, if spiritual things exist in a practical sense then they affect the physical world. For example, if you believe the bible then God parted the Red Sea. As long as these spiritual things obey laws then humans can discover those laws and use them. We need to keep religion and magical thinking from muddying the water. That is just my opinion. I'm not denying that weird things apparently happen to people including myself.
edit on 13-10-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas
Too much involvment from god would mess up experiments? Where is your proof of this? Science is not a belief. To answer your question, the real definition of science is knowledge of any kind. Your definition makes me cringe, but since its your opinion, I can't do anything about that.
edit on 13-10-2011 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

You have a way with words! Anyway, what I mean is that a scientist needs to assume that God either doesn't do anything very often or that he operates within the constraints of natural laws or that he doesn't exist. Otherwise there is a huge random God variable to mess up experiments. That's why I think science = atheism.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

RuneSpider, I haven't watched Feynman's video yet, but I'm sure it is good. I was an undergrad at Caltech in the late 80's. He wasn't teaching, but for some reason he decided to give a physics lecture and I got to attend it. He is one of those professors that is so good that he can make you think you understand even when you don't. I remember at one point suddenly grasping the profound nature of what he was saying. I must have had a funny expression on my face, because he looked and me and kind of chuckled. I wish there were more professors like him.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I thought for a moment you were going to post this video.

Regardless, Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I must have had a funny expression on my face, because he looked and me and kind of chuckled.

He mentions being able to see when he got through to students in his books, that might have been what he saw.
I'm to young to have ever met him personally. (As a smattering of fact, he died the same year I was born.)
But he really was a great man, as could be seen by the number of students and peers who mourned his passing.

reply to post by DJM8507

Nah man, I'm old school.
Was thinking of posting this though:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Science is Revolution.

David Grouchy

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

cloudyday science cannot understand where consciousness comes from, it cannot understand where ideas come from. The mind is still a mystery, because that's where the soul expresses itself. That mystery will go on forever until science opens up to other realms of existence beyond the physical world. When science reaches the eternal world which is the spiritual world, home fo our souls, then it will reach the whole truth. IMHO

new topics

top topics

join