It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Years from Now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Odd

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Think about this...

Earth took two billion years to evolve life... six million more for homonids... tens of thousands more for Homo sapiens... then just a few millenia for the Roman Empire, and soon after that we had the Rennaisance and our spread throughout the world. Centuries after that, we have the Industrial revolution, followed in only a century or so by the advent of the Internet. Now, within half a decade of the creation of the Internet, it's completely ubiquitous... our advancement is growing exponentially.

Where will we be in just ten years, given the recent telescoping of our technological advancement? Is this recent rash of discoveries merely a fluke, or are we truly on the eve of a new era?

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I have no idea what the future holds in terms of tech or what the next revolution will be butI am convinced it will be an amazing one at that.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
IN 10 years I'm seeing Super-Fast Computers, Flying Cars, among other things. I am betting that Nanotechnology will be big in the next few years. I've done research papers on Nanotech that make me excited to see the future. Because with Nanotechnology, we see a virtual end to all diseases and illnesses, Super-Fast computers that run billions of times faster than they do today. And those Space-Elevators people are talking about... The Band that runs up to space will be built from Carbon Nano-Tubes. There have already been Israeli Scientists that built a computer that runs on DNA and runs Billions of times faster and stores a crapload more things than a standard PC today. These computers don't run standard software, but they may in the near future.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
In ten years im seeing great breakthroughs in gravity/electromagnetism, fusion, nanotech, space elevator.......who knows at our rate of growth it is impossible to predict what will happen.....we dont even know what 90% of the universe is made up of yet! lol

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Its quite amazing the advances we made in just the last hundred years. The wright flyer to the space shuttle and SR-71 in less then a hundred years. The computer chip, fiber optics, night vision, Laser weapons I mean dam that was Buck Rogers stuff like 40 years ago. A 100 yrs is nothing in the scope of human history.

I mean about 1.5 million yrs ago man invented the hand axe. It took us a few hundred thousand years to invent a handle for that hand axe.

I think in 10 years we will see some more amazing inventions. And in another 10 years we will really see some amzing stuff.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
i reckon that in 50 years time, we will have technology close to star trek

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Well except for light speed and beaming devices.

I'm never really suprised by any new technology coming out. I follow the development of it and so nothing suprising me much anymore. I love electronics and so i study up on it.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
havent you heard...according to the doomsdayers we will be back to primordial soup.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
the doomsdayers are a bunch of idiots they haven't got anything right and they never will.

If the end of the world takes place they'll never predict when it happens.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   
lol. yeah. how many times are we meant to be dead now anyway???

Odd

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I don't really see the human race being destroyed any time soon... I like to think that most of us have the sense to realize when we're getting ourselves too close to Doomsday, and to act accordingly.

Someone mentioned the development of faster-than-light travel, and that opens another interesting point: the exponential nature of our development seems to be, in large part, a consequence of the fact that each successive invention, revolutionary or otherwise, opens a number of doors for further development. Can you imagine, then, what FTL-drive would do for us?

Think about it... the development of the transistor sparked a revolution that would culminate (for the time being) in the uniting of our world via the Internet, making possible exchanges of information that would never have taken place had such things never come to pass. But once we develop FTL... well, we'll be able to leave this solar system, eventually, and find once and for all whether or not we are alone in this universe. I like to think that the discovery of extraterrestrial life will be our next major breakthrough, whether through SETI or actual physical contact, and that this revelation will bring humankind together in a sort of humbling unity.

That, or we'll have somebody else to chuck bombs at.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think in the year 2000 we will be flying in personal space ships and eating pills that will replace plates full of food.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I don't think that much will change. We'll probably have fuel cell cars by then (if nothing more practical like alcohol or biodiesel come to popularity) and I could see computers possibly going to optics by that time. These computers will be 10 times faster than the present computers and fill 3 rooms.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I see advances in: Quantum computing
string theory / all areas of physics
nano technology
virtual reality
gravity manipulation
internet massively faster
the home pc will be like a supercomputer (just look up chips the 'cell' on google.
space elevators are a possibility
possibly a mission to mars depending on world politics
most countries totally wifi enabled
Zero point energy
fussion
anti matter mass production
dependence on fossil fuel drastically reduced
huge leaps in military tech
and much much more...........

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by shbaz
I think in the year 2000 we will be flying in personal space ships and eating pills that will replace plates full of food.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I don't think that much will change. We'll probably have fuel cell cars by then (if nothing more practical like alcohol or biodiesel come to popularity) and I could see computers possibly going to optics by that time. These computers will be 10 times faster than the present computers and fill 3 rooms.

Hey 50 years ago, out scientist thought that by the year of 2000, cars will not run on tires anymore, but we will all be driving in flying cars, which is a little bit off. We have now just publicly became familiar with the concept of flying cars.
25 years ago, we thought that the computers will replace papers completely by the year of 2000. It is doing it now but not really significant compare to the prediction. Does anyone know the sastistics for this?

In 10 years, I will see:

- Approximately 4096 GHz processor, 1024 times faster than our 4Ghz processor, because computer doubles in computing power every year.
- Human getting back on the moon
- More advanced space probes to Mars and Mercury, better than we have today
- Hypersonic bombers
- Better, faster stealth bombers and fighters
- Laser surgies become normal, replacing scapels
- Computers intergrated completely into our lives
- Tracking chips for those who want it, like Japan
- More important of all, nanotechnology. Countries will be fighting for this tech once it is proven its place in science and goods production.
- More high tech wars, less casualties, more infrastructural damages
- I hope we will do something about the evironment!!
- Hybrid, fuel cell cars produced more than conventional cars

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzmaster

25 years ago, we thought that the computers will replace papers completely by the year of 2000. It is doing it now but not really significant compare to the prediction.

what is this 'paper' you speak of???

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i would also like to see the beginings of applications of quantum etanglement/ teleportation

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asclepius

25 years ago, we thought that the computers will replace papers completely by the year of 2000. It is doing it now but not really significant compare to the prediction.

Haha, very funny. Seems like it is happening faster than i thought

Well, back then when computers and the Internet were begin to be made available to the public. Scientists and engineers predicted that computer will replace paper by the year of 2000, everything will be done electronically. Newspaper willl become e-news, textbooks will be replaced by e-text and that kind of stuff.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Do all of you still seeing Jesus come back in ten years. There are two types of people in the world the people who look for technological advances and the people looking for Jesus and they are both alittle different. Jesus is coming back. Though .. you are just dumb for talking about it. B/c you can't imagine it you know I would be cool with it if some people were lke I wonder what is going to go on about 1000 years from now ... but right now you can do something about it so do it peace

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Ten years from now anything could happen we could all be gone. Or there could be that whole shift thing which could change everything. Or computer could be super fast and ats will rule the world who knows *walks off mumbling*

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asclepius

Haha, very funny. Seems like it is happening faster than i thought

Well, back then when computers and the Internet were begin to be made available to the public. Scientists and engineers predicted that computer will replace paper by the year of 2000, everything will be done electronically. Newspaper willl become e-news, textbooks will be replaced by e-text and that kind of stuff.

we arent that far off that anyway. there is an electrical version of everything these days.

in ten years i reckon microsoft may actually have caught up to Novell in features for Windows
(ok, so its a long shot, but we can still wish)

[edit on 30-8-2004 by Asclepius]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join