It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you raise a family or yourself on minimum wage?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
(Not sure if this is the correct place to put this. Move if you must).

I've been reading up on min wage jobs all day and how people live with it and survive especially with kids. Most work under 40 hours a week since most jobs don't want to put you full time so they don't have to give insurance, etc. Pretty much all who were listed were on food stamps and the like to supplement their low starvation income. I'm the same way, I get about 250 every two weeks (USD. I'm in Illinois) when I work (still trying to find work, btw. Sold my tv on the first to pay this months rent and those few days relief are starting to be switched for panic again as the 1st grows closer with no job in sight. I have nothing else to sell...)

Anyway, so I found this site that has a game where you get 1000 dollars to last you a month. That's RICH to me, where I in reality here, have to make 500 to 600 last all month. But anyway, I figured I'd link it here so you all could have a go at it. I'm playing it how I"M used to living; getting the kid cheap 10 dollar shoes once every few years only when they're so worn out, not having the funds to even pay his .70 cent's a day reduced lunch for school, etc etc. Not taking insurance cuz I can't afford it.... it's realistic.......

Wonder how well you all will do?

Even with me living cheap as I could (cuz the rent in this game is high like urban areas. I pay 300/mth for my 2 bdrm apt but am about to go into the housing here, 50 a month, it's a two story, 2 bedroom, huge place..... it's all I can afford for now since I don't have a job and i have a son)..... but I blasted through that 1000 dollars by day 11 cuz they realistically had your hours cut, opted you to take a 200 dollar computer class at school to better yourself...... etc. even with getting evicted in the game and having to pay more rent and downpayment, I ran out of funds by day 11.

Welcome to reality. Those of us lving check to pre pay check cuz most of us are broke within a few days after getting paid cuz bills, rent, gas, food, etc......... and those of us making under 800 a month, WITH kids... it's brutal. Something has to change. A living wage? A raise of the min wage higher? Something has to be done. NO one can survive on the Starvation Wage which is minimum. That is good for teens living at home with their first job at 16 or 17. NOT us adults with families.

www.playspent.org...

There is the game. and here is the link which goes to the page which talks about the game before you play it. Link to the game is also within: www.globalenvision.org...
edit on 13-10-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Hi sar,

No.

You cannot.

Here is what is happening to my son, his partner and their 2 children.

Recently, my son's partner found a few hours of work - and as those hours increased, their income decreased.

Now she is working for probably $2 NZ per hour.

And the government claws back everything.

These people are trying to raise two little girls - but who cares, let's put all our money into war.

I say to the government of NZ - get rid of all the people who are ripping off benefits, and that includes all the drug dealers - and give people who are struggling and trying to raise their kids a break.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Be prepared for an onslaught of well-off people looking down at you and screaming that you should be doing better than that.....perhaps take a night job, work your ass off 24 hours a day and don't sleep because that is taking away valuable time you could be working....

Those type of people disgust me.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Yep, even I can't survive on 7.25 hr.

Fking ridiculous.

Might as well become a fng Rx dealer.

I think it also depends on the area you live in. You make more wage in the more populated areas then you do the small towns. But, yep still impossible.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I made 4776 $ tax free in my previous job. Now I moved to Eastern Europe making around 1000$ a month.
Never have to worry about money, life is still affordable here.

1000$ SHOULD be more than enough if you're not living a luxurious lifestyle IMO. Problem in the US is that most of the infrastructure is crap so you HAVE to own a car etc. Clothes are cheaper in the US, housing is WAY cheaper.

Family on 1000$ maybe till they're 5 or something after you need at least 500$ more but that's really the minimum.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I've gotten more compliments on here and well wishes from the ATS'ers than anything. Those who have read my past posts know I had to be begged and pleaded to get on food stamps cuz of the stigma of them. I'm doing my best. Working on my Bachelors Degree in web/graphic design. Actually made a few network connections on here for when I graduate. I just hope I'll GET a job in my field and not have to add on 'pay student loan' to my list of 'things the Starvation Wage must pay off'.

Life is tough. I'm going out again tomorrow to put in apps all over the next closest towns to this one - both are an hour away one way. Brutality is coming up with gas money once you find a job til you get paid. Hopefully something close to here will hire me. I look at it this way; it's hard as hell, but I have turned off a LOT of things I was able to afford to a degree before while I was working and getting good school stipends (refunds) back: satellite is gone, tv is gone too now. Mobile phone is off, I have a 10$ a month pay as you go for work purposes only..... I'm not scared to do without to save a few extra 75 dollars or w/e. I'm sadly so used to living like this, if I made 1000 a month, I'd feel like it was 250,000 dollars xD

But yeah, most of the ATS'ers who know of me know I never give up and keep trying to land that job. I'm not the sort to sit on my rear and rake in govt cash. Heck, I didn't even ...what's the word...... I can't GET any cash assistance. I get food stamps which thank GOD feed me and my son. But cash? Nope. Not one bit. Electric is about to be turned off too as is the net and I need both. NEED. I do my schooling online and need access to my CS4 and such. But I'm not worried. I know something great it coming real soon. My stubbornness to not give up will pay off. I want to work. I need to work. This has been TOO long of a day off and I'm bored, tired. I hate NOT working. I feel horrible. Can't get anywhere without a paycheck, no matter how wee it is; it's still money I earn to have nice things.

So I'm not worried if anyone dogs me. It will just show they don't read enough of my stuff to feel me. I haven't given up in months and I'm not about to start. I put apps in, call em every few days, when the app time expires, I fill out another. I go places almost too far for realism just in the HOPES maybe I'll get hired. So.....
maybe I'm a rare breed. I have pride and hate having to have help from anyone but... sometimes you have to to live. I just can't wait to be back on my own two feet again. It's all right. This is happening to teach me something. Not sure what it is.. maybe that, hey even with little and nothing, you're still true to yourself, Sarra. You're still determined, you fall, you get right back up and keep going. You can handle anything."
sometimes I have to cry but I'm only human

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Here in the Uk i know alot of people who find they can get alot more money of the goverment for not working.

If they worked they would earn less than if they did, how flippin crazy is that.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

It is very hard to raise a family off the minimum wage but not impossible. It really depends on whether we are talking single working parents or double, one kid, two kids etc. I'd say in general it might as well be impossible, because what you'll need to do to live off the minimum wage for your family might as well be considered poverty, because you're only getting the bare necessities, and nothing else. I'm not sure who can live like that, and it takes more to raise healthy kids than just giving them barely what they need.

But hey no fear, the libertarians on this forum have an awesome idea! Eliminate regulations for minimum wage and let big businesses decide what's good for us, right? Ah yes, you'll get plenty of those folks chipping in their solutions. We should really asking ourselves as to whether you can raise a family on a Vietnamese wage.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Very true. I just do the best I can with what I have.
I still have hope, faith and determination.
Nothing ever can or will take that from me.
And I will help out someone else once I get my feet on solid ground. Even if it's 20 bucks or some canned foods or whatever, I'll help out. I have done it before, donated time at the homeless shelters and talked with the people. It's amazing how knowing at least someone cares and wants to listen feels. It's just amazing.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CharterZZ

Me personally? Say I was getting like 1200.00 USD a month from the Government.
And at a job I'd bring home after taxes 250 to 300 every two weeks. 500 to 600 a month. OKay, let's up that and even say 750 a month. Why not.

I'd choose working. It's a PRIDE thing. I'm working for that money, I'm valuable enough to someone for them to hire ME so I can WORK. Nothing and I mean NOTHING beats that feeling. That you're wanted and valued enough for that company to give you their earnings as your own.

Sadly though, a lot don't feel that way. I go insane without working. I can't STAND it. I am like a zoo animal caged up. Pacing. I'm out daily putting in apps, doing online apps, asking anyone and everyone if they know of jobs or "do you know anyone who". All the time. Luck has to strike me some time. It's a hard lottery though, finding a job. Not like 20 years ago when you'd put in 20 apps and have to decide between the 19 which wanted you to start the next day......

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
I've gotten more compliments on here and well wishes from the ATS'ers than anything. Those who have read my past posts know I had to be begged and pleaded to get on food stamps cuz of the stigma of them. I'm doing my best. Working on my Bachelors Degree in web/graphic design. Actually made a few network connections on here for when I graduate. I just hope I'll GET a job in my field and not have to add on 'pay student loan' to my list of 'things the Starvation Wage must pay off'.

Life is tough. I'm going out again tomorrow to put in apps all over the next closest towns to this one - both are an hour away one way. Brutality is coming up with gas money once you find a job til you get paid. Hopefully something close to here will hire me. I look at it this way; it's hard as hell, but I have turned off a LOT of things I was able to afford to a degree before while I was working and getting good school stipends (refunds) back: satellite is gone, tv is gone too now. Mobile phone is off, I have a 10$ a month pay as you go for work purposes only..... I'm not scared to do without to save a few extra 75 dollars or w/e. I'm sadly so used to living like this, if I made 1000 a month, I'd feel like it was 250,000 dollars xD

But yeah, most of the ATS'ers who know of me know I never give up and keep trying to land that job. I'm not the sort to sit on my rear and rake in govt cash. Heck, I didn't even ...what's the word...... I can't GET any cash assistance. I get food stamps which thank GOD feed me and my son. But cash? Nope. Not one bit. Electric is about to be turned off too as is the net and I need both. NEED. I do my schooling online and need access to my CS4 and such. But I'm not worried. I know something great it coming real soon. My stubbornness to not give up will pay off. I want to work. I need to work. This has been TOO long of a day off and I'm bored, tired. I hate NOT working. I feel horrible. Can't get anywhere without a paycheck, no matter how wee it is; it's still money I earn to have nice things.

So I'm not worried if anyone dogs me. It will just show they don't read enough of my stuff to feel me. I haven't given up in months and I'm not about to start. I put apps in, call em every few days, when the app time expires, I fill out another. I go places almost too far for realism just in the HOPES maybe I'll get hired. So.....
maybe I'm a rare breed. I have pride and hate having to have help from anyone but... sometimes you have to to live. I just can't wait to be back on my own two feet again. It's all right. This is happening to teach me something. Not sure what it is.. maybe that, hey even with little and nothing, you're still true to yourself, Sarra. You're still determined, you fall, you get right back up and keep going. You can handle anything."
sometimes I have to cry but I'm only human

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Yes, Char,

Same here in NZ.

And because we are paying for the earthquakes and the oil spill, it will get worse.

This is disgraceful, all you fatcat politicians!

Go read Ezekiel! (Well, I have to keep trying).

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

To the requirements set forth by the government ???

It is not numerical possible unless you bought very cheap
land and built a cob house by hand, and raised your own
food and lived off the grid.

When you consider the kids get food at school that is subsidized
and the education is as well then you are not unless you home school.

In some states they may take your kids if you do not have
grid tied utilities.

So if indirect government assistance is considered it is not possible,
and they want it this way because the education system has become
more about indoctrination than education.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I don't recall writing "To the something set forth by governments...." I'll have to go reread. A lot of what you wrote made no sense to me...... hold on. brb.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

To the requirements set forth by the government ???

It is not numerical possible unless you bought very cheap
land and built a cob house by hand, and raised your own
food and lived off the grid.

When you consider the kids get food at school that is subsidized
and the education is as well then you are not unless you home school.

In some states they may take your kids if you do not have
grid tied utilities.

So if indirect government assistance is considered it is not possible,
and they want it this way because the education system has become
more about indoctrination than education.

Yeah the first part of this reply has nothing to do with any thing I wrote at all... I live in an apartment..... >_> I don't live off the grid. That's EXPENSIVE to get going. He's in public high school and because of me being on food stamps, he gets reduced lunch costs. But yeah, I tell everyone to NOT go to college cuz NO one is hiring in any field really unless you're a Nurse or Doctor really. And once you graduate, in 6 months you have to start paying back your loans. Mine are for 68,000 usd. That may be 800 a month. We'll definitely be in shelters then so I can work and pay off the loan only. It's super frightening to me. I mean super frightening.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Since the question included "... or yourself ..." on minimum wage, in California, it could be possible as if you assume minimum wage at 8 per hour and 35 hours a week (straight, no overtime), you would earn 280 per week, 14560 per year. Loosely, 280 per week is a borderline amount where taxes may not have to be witheld by the employer but taxes could be due if the job includes tips, etc. Assuming taxes aren't witheld, 1180 per month is sufficient for an individual to live on in California depending upon where the individual chooses to live.

Factor in tax credits and such from the state and federal governments, and the resulting "refunds" the earner would receive, the actual amount an individual "earns" in a year could well exceed the 14560 actual annual earnings.

Toss a child and co-habitation (not marriage) in the mix and a 'family' could lay claim to over 20000 annual earnings and over 2000 in 'refunds' without paying any taxes into the system.

Possible, yes. Easy, no.
But nearly effortless with government assistance.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Here was my normal breakdown with bills and rent while I was working/had a good stippend from school:

for my 2 bdrm apt: 300/mth
electric: 150 - 200 /mth
mobile: 150/mth
satellite: 60/mth
net: 45/mth
gas: 150/mth

855/mth.
keep in strict mind, I would not be able to pay the phone for a few months and to be honest, I have not paid the net bill in about 5 months. so we'll just take those off of there....

which brings it to 660 a month.

now since all that crap is turned off,
my whole deal is 505/mth.

and god willing I can get enough hours to get 700 a month, we'll have 200 dollars left over ^_^ THAT IS AMAZING. so im hyped now. course I'd have to hope the job can give enough hours TO bring home 700 a month. That's a LOT of hours and most places don't want to give that much. Still.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
Since the question included "... or yourself ..." on minimum wage, in California, it could be possible as if you assume minimum wage at 8 per hour and 35 hours a week (straight, no overtime), you would earn 280 per week, 14560 per year. Loosely, 280 per week is a borderline amount where taxes may not have to be witheld by the employer but taxes could be due if the job includes tips, etc. Assuming taxes aren't witheld, 1180 per month is sufficient for an individual to live on in California depending upon where the individual chooses to live.

Factor in tax credits and such from the state and federal governments, and the resulting "refunds" the earner would receive, the actual amount an individual "earns" in a year could well exceed the 14560 actual annual earnings.

Toss a child and co-habitation (not marriage) in the mix and a 'family' could lay claim to over 20000 annual earnings and over 2000 in 'refunds' without paying any taxes into the system.

Possible, yes. Easy, no.
But nearly effortless with government assistance.

If I didn't get 365/month food stamps, my kid and i would be starving.
I think my earned income ends. I don't think I get it this january cuz he's turning 17 on the 18th of this month
so that's another 1000 to 3000 i won't have to help. Sadly though, those 'refunds' only come once a year. By March they're gone if not sooner, to pay up past due balances etc. I do pick and choose what I pay each month, I know my phone will take 3 months before it's turned off and the net 6 months. Electric, 2 months. the only one I have to pay monthly is rent.

And here, even if you make 75 dollars a week, they tax it same rate. Illinois sucks.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

And at a job I'd bring home after taxes 250 to 300 every two weeks. 500 to 600 a month. OKay, let's up that and even say 750 a month. Why not.

I'd choose working. It's a PRIDE thing.

Well some people have families.

Part of being a family man means doing what you can to provide the most for your family, if you can get $1200 from the government versus $700 you'd make working at minimum wage - you would be right to pick that 1200.

Your pride is not more important than your family and their needs. Pride come before the fall and when you have a family you can't afford to let your pride bring you down.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

I'd choose working. It's a PRIDE thing.

Well some people have families.

Part of being a family man means doing what you can to provide the most for your family, if you can get $1200 from the government versus $700 you'd make working at minimum wage - you would be right to pick that 1200.

Your pride is not more important than your family and their needs. Pride come before the fall and when you have a family you can't afford to let your pride bring you down.

I said a lot on here I'm a single mother with a teen son.

I have a lot of pride. I'm still on food stamps and I look daily for work. Nothing has stopped me at all and nothing will. It will pay off, I have faith. And no, I would NOT pick that 1200 dollars because I would feel like a government mooch, people would disrespect me, and lord knows if I mentioned that on here, I'd be torn limb from limb and not only my self respect would be gone, but so would everyone's on here AND those I know personally would lose respect for me. Nah. Much better to work, be productive, earn your own. I'm doing just fine when I'm working, as you saw above with my 500/mth bills/rent deal. I even will have 200 left over for fun stuff if I get enough hours. I'm very optimistic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join