It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall St spreads to Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Occupy Wall St spreads to Australia

www.news.com.au

DEMONSTRATORS plan to set up a permanent campsite outside the Reserve Bank in Sydney as part of a global day of action inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
To be honest I never thought I would see this happen in Australia. Not all but most people here seem to still be sleeping but that might be changing, perhaps on a global scale?
It will be interesting to see where events will stem from these protests. I highly doubt they will disband within the next 2 weeks as some have said, instead these occupations are spreading across the Western world.
So what do you guys think about this? Could this be the real deal or could we all be falling into a trap?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
well like you i have my reservations...but hey we are not all asleep,i meet more and more peeps everyday...maybe that is because i am more aware and am speaking openly about it who knows......im in sydney...if this is real..i will take part..

peace
edit on 13-10-2011 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Well I haven't seen anything on the news. Also Australians don't have it as bad as they do in the U.S so it might be more of a case of not alot to complain about rather than being asleep. Our main problem right now is the Gillard carbon tax.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The Occupy Brisbane Facebook page appears to have a decent number of people following. How this translates in to actual numbers attending though.....

www.facebook.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Thats true, we don't have it as bad as the U.S but we certainly aren't improving. It seems there are protests, strikes etc. everyday in Australia since Gillard took power. If there was an Occupy Wall St protest here in Brisbane I would certainly go.
Its pretty much too late about the carbon tax too as I think they already passed it, correct me if I'm wrong though.

edit on 13-10-2011 by AussiePatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
Well I haven't seen anything on the news. Also Australians don't have it as bad as they do in the U.S so it might be more of a case of not alot to complain about rather than being asleep. Our main problem right now is the Gillard carbon tax.

That and you were forced to lay your guns down for scrap metal...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
this is good news, when its perths turn to occupy, i will be there

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is irrelevent what the thread is about but I'd like to share it.
www.news.com.au... 121
Is this how bad Australia has become? Gillard is now being likened with Hitler with a senior Lib calling for her to be assasinated.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
it was obvious since they ousted rudd that gillard was a puppet of the master puppeteers...just take a look at the mining industry...

peace

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Americans and our ego...

We should remember where we got our uprisings from..

It seems though Norther Africa and Egypt were the first for many important steps in human history people outside of it make it seem as if we started OWS and we are spreading it to other countries. Dirp

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussiePatriot
reply to post by steveknows

Thats true, we don't have it as bad as the U.S but we certainly aren't improving. It seems there are protests, strikes etc. everyday in Australia since Gillard took power. If there was an Occupy Wall St protest here in Brisbane I would certainly go.
Its pretty much too late about the carbon tax too as I think they already passed it, correct me if I'm wrong though.

edit on 13-10-2011 by AussiePatriot because: (no reason given)

It's been passed through the lower house but not yet presented to the upper house but I'm sure it will be passed as it's a cash grab.

As for the occupy Brisbane. I think the government had a shake up at the last election but chose to ignore it. I'm not typicaly for mass protests as they usually only effect the working person on the day but I do feel that perhaps a big movement such is this is what is needed in as much as the last election showed them that we're fed up and something like this might be just what is need as it would be relatively on the heels of the last message that was sent to the government by the people.
edit on 13-10-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
These have been planned for over a week now.

I am attending Occupy Melbourne this weekend. Got my tent and sleeping bag ready
I'll post any good pictures I take.

In fact, New Zealand also have several events on the same weekend.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussiePatriot
This is irrelevent what the thread is about but I'd like to share it.
www.news.com.au... 121
Is this how bad Australia has become? Gillard is now being likened with Hitler with a senior Lib calling for her to be assasinated.

One of her own MP's said that she's the first PM in Australias history who needs to be shot. But that was burried very fast.

This is the party which walked out of Q&A because they didn't like the questions being put to them. Who walks out of national Q&A? A party which believes it's not answerable to the Australian people that's who!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
It`ll go global(ish) , this is what they want , its another peice of their puzzle , we rise up - they`ve got a reason to stamp us down. They run everything .... ever wondered why the likes of wikileaks never reveals any groundbreaking information ? or why "anonnymous" (oldest trick in the book) have never said something along the lines of ,"we found out who the elite are , there names and addresses are ... "
Its because theyre not fighting/working, with/for us, if you think someone else is doing it you`ll let it be.... right ?
From the cradle to the grave were worked to the bone and pushed into a "lifestyle" none of us really want , by carefully constructed lies....., its been like this since "the Egyptians" , ..... cavemen just woke up , took a dump, hunted - fed , took another dump , drew crazy stuff on the walls, then went to sleep. Ahhhh , that was the life , no oil, no money, no listening to utter bulltish all day , no slavery *cough* i mean - work -, no nagging wife, and most of all, no religion. (plus you couldnt get arrested for smoking plants
) lets tear the f*%#@?& house down

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
When you speak to the sleep walking society in Australia, they are actually more awake then you'd expect however they all fit the "yeah the world's F***ed, but what you gonna do?".

Australians feel pretty useless in general because Australia IS pretty useless in general. Apart from our defensive radar/satellite and telecommunications, we have the best in the world

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist

Originally posted by steveknows

That and you were forced to lay your guns down for scrap metal...

That's actually incorrect. Gun ownership is alive and well in Australia it's the fully and semi automatic weapons that have been banned and truly I don't see the need to own military assault rifles anyway. And having served in the army I'm not against weapons but there's just no need for assault rifle or automatic pistols in civi street.

In the early 90's I owned an SKK and a 303 bolt action and only ever really used the 303.

Mind you had I decided to go on a shooting rampage through a shopping centre the SKK would have been gold.
edit on 13-10-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Good to see! Thank you for you involvement in this world... we need more awakenings to join the protests.
Denmark is the next country in line to hopefully wake up. Despite the fact that the crisis hasn't hit too hard here yet, I think that we have a lot of clearheaded people who will find that these protests are absolutely necessary.

Looking forward to see your advancements against corporate greed and the return of democracy to the people!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeforeTheHangmansNoose
When you speak to the sleep walking society in Australia, they are actually more awake then you'd expect however they all fit the "yeah the world's F***ed, but what you gonna do?".

Australians feel pretty useless in general because Australia IS pretty useless in general. Apart from our defensive radar/satellite and telecommunications, we have the best in the world

You'd be suprised at what the world wouldn't have if not for OZ.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
this is good news, when its perths turn to occupy, i will be there

That is a classic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join