It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Two held in New York 'bomb plot'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

A US citizen and a Pakistani national have been arrested in New York, There arrest was made on the suspicion of plotting to blow up a subway station. It is the believed that the two men had surveyed one of the alleged targets where next week's Republican Party convention is to be held.

BBC NEWS
Mr Kelly said the two man - identified as US citizen James Alshafay, 19, and 21-year-old Pakistani Matin Siraj - had surveyed a number of sites including Herald Square subway station, close to Sunday's Republican convention,

He said they were not thought to be part of any terror group and had no explosives in their possession, and there was no evidence to suggest the pair had focused specifically on the convention itself.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related Links
2004 Republican Convention
Counter Convention

Could they have been planning a gas attack like as in china subway attacks? But what make it sound this sound weird is that they�re not thought to be part of any terrorist group and had no explosives in their possession. But there intention was to kill and hurt people how can they do this if they had none of the above?

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Luckly we got to them before they got to us.

Would of been horrible

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller
Luckly we got to them before they got to us.

Would of been horrible

Agreed.
Thank God they were caught before it was too late,

Good post SE7EN

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Well in events like this that attack so many people it is going to be opportunist that wants to cause mayhem and injuries to the people any people around.

So sad that things like this happend.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I love stories, like this one, which clearly show the Homeland Security apparatus works. I would like to take this opportunity to give all law enforcement involved in this investigation pats on the back. (Of course they'll never see this, but it's the thought that counts).

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Let's hope all the other activity isn't hindering their ability to keep it tight. You got the tennis, the convention, the protests.....

Thought the reports are untold numbers of NYC residents have fled the city to get away from the nonsense.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Wold have been chaotic if the people planning this weren't caught before it happened. Good post 7

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
it reminds me of the movie Colateral Damage

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
One thing i cannot understand is how they were able to be caught in the first place... i know that I would not be stupid enough to discuss any sort of plan (......ooooh picture of the pentagon on the TV...) sorry..... no relation intended... but if they were to commit such an act, I amsure they would have been more careful.. now I am not saying that they were innocent.. far from it, they sound like a couple of very dubious characters getting upto questionable acts but I have been questioned a number of times myself by Police and security officerss when being parked up with friends at the back of an Airport having a smoke and listening to me rugged riddims! now I must admit, of all places to go to... probably not the best considering the time in which we live with terrorism leering around every corner, but I had no plans and nothing on my person would incriminate such a thing. The article itself (and from what I have heard in the news) is that

"He said they were not thought to be part of any terror group and had no explosives in their possession, and there was no evidence to suggest the pair had focused specifically on the convention itself. "

they may have just been at the wrong place at the wrong time, but who knows... is this evidence enough? I know how I would feel if I were in a foriegn country and were arrested for checking out something we don't get a lot of in my country... do you think I would be arrested for spending time visiting the Taj Mahal? I dunno what to think of this article to tell you the truth....

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thats I was thinking at the time sounds like to me they just arested them for thinking about doing it there's proberly a lot more to it there not telling us about.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
get the filthy scum, theres a whole more we still ''gotta catch'' before they do what their evil hearts want to..

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Well, conspiracy to commit mass murder sounds interesting. It seems that the plans were pretty set but they lacked the means at the moment. Perhaps because they were 19 and 21 respectively. Either way, why let it get to that point. If someone is caught planning to murder civilians who have done nothing but decided to ride the train to work, I say rid society of them.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
that is the problem with these situations. Something doesn't smell right, but at the mention of "security for the citizenry" all doubts are tossed. I am by no means saying that these guys are innocent... but have they been tried yet? have they been arrested in the past year, when they have supposidly "made attack plans or threats"? no, they got picked up when they were looking at a subwy station... didn't appear to have a camera or other type of recording device, so what makes anyone think they weren't sightseeing or heaven forbid taking a subway to get somewhere... i read the same article and didn't get any of the feeling of "oh gosh, what terrible people"... kinda seemed like they were your average grumbling peacenik talking bout the "revolution" in much the same way most of young america did during vietnam... but oh well, now that these guys have been tried in the court of public opinion, might as well kill em, since they can't find a job from now on (since they are now terrorists). so releasing them will only give them endless time to plot agains't the "man" that caused there lives to be changed...
i have seen the slant that the government agencys can put on a story first hand(carelessly and without responsibility)... this story seems freakin sideways...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
...reckon they have contracted in the though police..... but this ain't 1984................

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Did the government entrap them? I've heard several cases lately where the government his been doing just that.

Amazing how you can be charged with a crime before it happens ain't it?

All they have to do is call it, "Conspiracy to commit..."

How do they know what you are thinking? Do we have mind-reading thought police?

I feel this case might be a phonie-baloney, "Look we're beating terrorist!"
case. To prop-up the Dept. of Homeland (in)Security.

new topics

top topics

join