It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irans attempt to send monkey into space.......

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
A huge failure
I think we can take this for a good sign. However it does make me wonder exactly why the us abandoned its space program. Now it appears to be a free for all. Exactly what intrest does Iran have in space anyway? First a nuke program and now a failed space program? Whats next, a "free" country[sarcasm]

www.space.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
A huge failure
I think we can take this for a good sign. However it does make me wonder exactly why the us abandoned its space program. Now it appears to be a free for all. Exactly what intrest does Iran have in space anyway? First a nuke program and now a failed space program? Whats next, a "free" country[sarcasm]

www.space.com...

I'd consider a lost monkey a greater success than losing 7 astronauts.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Long range inter-continental ballistic missile technology is essentially the same field of science that space travel rocketry is.

If you can achieve space flight, you can design a missile with enough range to reach anywhere on Earth.

Sorry to point that out.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

which goes to show they do not have the capability and therefore are not the threat they are being made out to be.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Long range inter-continental ballistic missile technology is essentially the same field of science that space travel rocketry is.

If you can achieve space flight, you can design a missile with enough range to reach anywhere on Earth.

Sorry to point that out.

took that into account but figured they could just buy those from someone else
edit on 13-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Except, of course (from the link):

In June, Iran launched the Rasad-1 (Observation-1) satellite atop the country's Safir (which means "Ambassador") rocket. The satellite was designed to map and monitor Earth from orbit. In 2010, the country launched a Kavoshgar-3 rocket carrying a rat, two turtles and a worm into space.

The article pointed out that Iran's leadership was less than forthcoming as to the failure of this latest (with the rhesus monkey onboard), but a fair guess might be that the vehicle malfunctioned and exploded, or malfunctioned and was destructed by ground controllers.

Of greater interest will next be....to research the geographical location of Iran's rocket launching facilities....keep an *eye* on that location.......

In terms of these cutting of teeth with rocketry well.....similar *learnng curves* occurred in the early USA space program, as well as the former Soviet Union's......keep in mind that each failure is a teaching moment, in progression to better engineering in future tests.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Ha ha!

Maybe Iran doesn't trust the data that the Soviets and the USA had to offer from their forays into space?

Or maybe, just maybe, they want to do it themselves, and learn how it all works.

Ya know, sort of like an artist who has seen how a Van Gogh found his path, but wants to try it him/herself, to learn and to become independent, and maybe find another way to creating a painting, or a new pathway to the stars.

I recall reading about how Einstein might not have been correct on something, recently. I guess if everyone blindly accepts a past discovery as being a truth, and doesn't challenge it, that's good? But covering the same old ground is bad?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'm ready, let's do this shi*

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

It might have more to do with the Iranians not having the entire German Space Program available as we did ?

The only reason as to why the US even had a remotely functioning space program in case you don't recall is due to the CIA (OSS) bringing over the entire German Space Program under Operation Paperclip in 1945.

The Russians due to their capturing the German V2 Rockets at Peenemünde which became part of East Germany still beat the US to the punch in launching a satellite into Earth's orbit with the launch of Sputnik in 1957.

Compared to us, the Iranians actually are a FREE country ......FREE from debt to the Banksters and why they can afford to have a space program and we can no longer sustain one... our tax dollars are paying the Banksters interest payments...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The flight distance from Washington, District of Columbia to Tehran, Iran is: 6,340 miles / 10,203 km.

The International Space Station is maintained in orbit between 278 km (173 mi) and 460 km (286 mi) altitude.

Its easier getting into space than it is getting from Tehran to Washington DC.

Either way, i'd rather be "up" there than down here.

edit on 13-10-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Why would Iran want to send their President into space?

Hmmm, come to think of it, that's not a bad idea.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Why would Iran want to send their President into space?

Hmmm, come to think of it, that's not a bad idea.

My thoughts exactly...

edit on 13-10-2011 by Humanity4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

The flight distance from Washington, District of Columbia to Tehran, Iran is: 6,340 miles / 10,203 km.

The International Space Station is maintained in orbit between 278 km (173 mi) and 460 km (286 mi) altitude.

Apples and oranges. In order to maintain orbit, one must reach orbital velocity. Shooting a rocket straight up to 300 km is not the hard part, accelerating it to speeds in excess of 7 km/sec at an altitude in excess of 100 km (generally, well in excess of 100 km) is. It is somewhat easier to make a suborbital launch that will complete less than one orbit and hit america than it is to go the rest of the way and reach orbit. If you can complete the latter task, you can perform the former.

Its easier getting into space than it is getting from Tehran to Washington DC.

I'm sorry but that's not correct.
edit on 13-10-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Great news, hopefully they'll make a two seater for the next attempt.....

The world would have been a much better place if Bush and Blair had decided to be astronauts instead of terrorists

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Actually it is correct. If you read muzzles response, and then mine, you would see what im talking about with reference to making it into space and making an ICBM with a 7k mile range.

In that sense, its easier shooting a missile into space than it is getting one to Washington DC.

Everyday people have attached a camera to a balloon and have made it to the edge of outerspace.

200 miles vs 7000 miles. Iran has a missile that has a range of roughly 1700 miles, more than enough lift ability to make it to space, while lacking the range to hit DC.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Actually it is correct. If you read muzzles response, and then mine, you would see what im talking about with reference to making it into space and making an ICBM with a 7k mile range.

I understand what you're talking about. What you don't seem to understand is that if you can make it into orbit then you have a missile with unlimited range as far as reaching a point on the other side of the earth is concerned.

In that sense, its easier shooting a missile into space than it is getting one to Washington DC.

Everyday people have attached a camera to a balloon and have made it to the edge of outerspace.

You still don't seem to understand that you're comparing apples and oranges. Putting a camera on a balloon and lofting it a few dozen kilometers high is nowhere near the same as reaching orbit.

200 miles vs 7000 miles.

Again, apples and oranges. It doesn't matter if an object is orbiting 200 km high; it can automatically cover that 7000 mile distance on the ground just by virtue of the fact that it's in orbit. You don't reach orbit just by throwing a balloon up into the sky or even shooting a rocket straight up until you reach 200 miles of altitude. The altitude is not the hard part, the hard part is achieving the +7 km/sec lateral velocity needed to obtain orbit. That's the difference between a balloon, a sub-orbital launch and an orbital launch.

Iran has a missile that has a range of roughly 1700 miles, more than enough lift ability to make it to space, while lacking the range to hit DC.

Making it into space != making it into orbit. No one's talking about the ability to simply make it into space, it's about making it into orbit. That's something else entirely. Just because you have a ballistic missile that has a range of 1700 miles does not automatically mean you can reach orbit. Incidentally, Iran can make it into orbit, which they've done on their own twice before. If you can reach orbit, then your payload can reach any point in the world within the inclination of your orbit. I'm sorry but you're just wrong to try to compare the ground track range of one of their ballastic missiles with the altitude their satellites orbit. It's a totally different thing.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Then let me put it this way.

The attempt the Iranians were going for was to put a test capsule at a 75 mile altitude. It is not comparing apples to oranges at all since the technology is dual purpose. Iran has the ability to launch a missile into space. They dont have the ability for the same missile to hit DC.

Specifically the sub orbital (mid course) phase for an ICMB is what Iran is lacking.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

It is not comparing apples to oranges at all since the technology is dual purpose. Iran has the ability to launch a missile into space. They dont have the ability for the same missile to hit DC.

The Iranians have the ability to put satellites into orbit, they've done it twice already, that means that by definition they have demonstrated the ability to reach DC. Comparing the height of a satellites orbit to the distance between Iran and DC, which you were just doing, IS comparing apples and oranges. The two figures are unrelated and do not prove that hitting DC is harder than reaching orbit.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Actually its not....

Launching a satellite requires getting to the correct orbit. If it doesnt make it, it will re-enter somewhere and burn up. Launching an ICBM includes the sub orbital flight with the addition of re-entry in a precise manner in order to hit the city.

Launching a satellite is within Irans ability where hitting DC is not. The missiles dont have the range.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
There sending Ahmadinajhad
to space?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join