It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trivia: The 2nd President to be Impeached

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I want to ask you here at ATS about a trivia game about presidents. The game has a card in it that gives the clue as 'the 2nd president to be impeached'

When I first read this trivial fact I thought it must have been a typo or a mistake.

Since I read this card in the morning, before work, I went throughout the day asking people I came in contact with if they knew the answer to the trivia question. I asked them who was the 2nd president to be impeached and every single person was clueless to this, with several acknowledging that there was only 1 president ever impeached.

I thought the card must be a typo, so when I returned home I began searching online for the truth behind the trivia fact card.

After searching the internet for just a couple minutes, I found that there is indeed a 2nd president to be officially impeached. He is also the only president born in Arkansas, and he has a wife named 'Hillary' who became secratary of state.

Do you know who this president is? I thought you might. If you still don't know who the president is after reading the trivial facts, then I will go ahead and tell you, the President is Bill Clinton.

Many of you may know about the impeachment of president Clinton but I certainly did not and that is why I am writing this now.

I want to know how many of you knew or know that former President Bill Clinton was impeached from the position of POTUS?

I hope everyone will answer this honestly, with what first comes to mind when you read this thread.

I am trying to recall if I ever remembered this being news, but I don't ever remember the Impeachment of Bill Clinton being in the news, do you?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
I am trying to recall if I ever remembered this being news, but I don't ever remember the Impeachment of Bill Clinton being in the news, do you?

Doing a google search to refresh my memory, yes it was widely discussed at the time.
As I recall (and confirmed by wikipedia) the impeachment process in a two step process, and both presidents were "impeached" at the first step. But I also recall (from memory) that nobody really took this technical "impeachment" as being a REAL impeachment because the "popular" view of impeachment in the public eye was that after having him removed from office. Thats the second step.
So yes, technically Clinton was "impeached", but to the public it was only on paper and not a real proper remove from office type full impeachment.
Its probably why nobody remembers.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

The nineties weren't a very good decade to me but unfortunately, I remember them and yes, I remember Clinton getting impeached. Spent a bunch of money and nothing happened except we learned what the definition of is is. Or some such crap, it was largely a joke. No, it was all a joke, really. I never gave a flying frak if he got laid in the White House but he did lie to congress about it and he got busted, cigar and all.

Except for the name Monica Lewinsky I can remember nothing else about it. I paid it little attention at the time as I was pretty sure nothing was going to come out of it and nothing did.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Clinton was impeached, but aquitted. I think "impeach" is kinda the same as bringing an indictment.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yeah, he was impeached by the House of Representatives. The Senate acquitted him. This all happened in the late 90s, it was a while ago and easy to forget.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Doing a google search to refresh my memory, yes it was widely discussed at the time.
As I recall (and confirmed by wikipedia) the impeachment process in a two step process, and both presidents were "impeached" at the first step. But I also recall (from memory) that nobody really took this technical "impeachment" as being a REAL impeachment because the "popular" view of impeachment in the public eye was that after having him removed from office. Thats the second step.
So yes, technically Clinton was "impeached", but to the public it was only on paper and not a real proper remove from office type full impeachment.
Its probably why nobody remembers.

As far as i have read this is correct.

When i read your question i immediately thought: "Richard Nixon's Watergate" and "Bill Clintons 'I-did-not-have-sexual-relations-with-THAT-womangate'

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

How old are you? Maybe you were really young when it happened.
I remember it. I would have given him a high five rather than impeach him though.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

I absolutely remember the whole Lewinsky fiasco and the talk of an impeachment, but I don't recall an impeachment of any kind being accomplished. That is what I am asking about really. It is good to know that it was a fact and not some propaganda being put into these trivia games.

The wording in the trivia game makes it seem as if he were impeached and removed from office,

To the first reply above your and below mine; That is what I am talking about as well. Without searching the internet or doing any other search, what is the first answer that comes to mind?

The impeachment of Clinton has not been pounded into our consciousness over the past decade+ and it seems that most everyday person doesn't think he was impeached at all, regardless whether he was removed from office or not.

I just found it strange that such an important fact in the history of our country and presidents can be forgotten so easily and quickly. It seems that since he was just the 2nd impeached ever that is would be common household knowledge, when in fact it seems to be the opposite of that.

Thanks for your replies! I am curious as to what others here at ATS might recall about the event, without searching out the answer, but recalling it from memory.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I was not really young. in 1998 I was 19 years old and should have been able to easily remember this event.

So far it seems like most ATS'ers remember this easily or vaguely, but remember it all the same.

I wonder if my geographic location has anything to do with the coverage or knowledge of this, as no one I approached and asked this knew the answer. I asked around 10 or so people today, so it isn't a huge number to draw a result from, even though none of them knew he was really impeached.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Wow... I thought your thread was a joke that I wasn't getting, honestly, not trying to be rude but I didn't realize that there were people who DIDN'T know this. Yes I recall the "impeachment" very clearly, in fact. I remember going to a restaurant on vacation around when it happened and seeing the word "IMPEACHED" with Clinton's face on the front page.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I don't know, guys and gals... I am having a hard time remembering anything concerning the impeachment of Bill Clinton, other than the possibility of an impeachment being sought.

Maybe I have gone through a time slip somewhere this week and this is just the first thing I have noticed that is different, haha.

Was Ashton Kutcher recently fired from 2 and a half men, claim he has tiger's blood and feasts on the bones of trolls while coining the phrase 'Duh, Winning!', after which Charlie Sheen hired as his replacement?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

No Joke, actually wish it was now, seeing that everyone seems to know or remember this except me and the people I asked today.

Tempted to take a video camera and go to the mall here, asking people whether they know he was impeached, getting their response and posting it here for you all to see what I mean about no one here knowing that he was indeed impeached in one form or another.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

There's lots that either gets lost down the memory hole or completely forgotten never to be taught or spoken of again. Smedley Butler and the coup of 1933 comes to mind.

Then the media has a way of not reporting how they(and others, of course) can screw things up, like Waco. The Branch Davidians may have been a little out there but they were Americans and they were slaughtered. This was proven in front of congress yet never spoken of. It happened years later and I'll tell you, I was alive and kicking at that time and never knew of it. Yet, the official story is still the same in many peoples minds. Most, more like it.

History is fluid, as the winners constantly change and they keep rewriting it. Heck, just a few weeks ago people were hoping for the end of the Murdoch media empire. That story is forgotten as far as I have seen.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I can understand how you might have missed it at 19 with a whole world of things to do besides news-hound the political scene. As others noted, Impeachment actually means nothing more than the House bringing charges and carrying the Indictment. Basically, the House is the Grand Jury for how a normal criminal case would work.

The Senate is where a President is tried and found guilty / removed from Office, or acquitted and left to go on his merry way. Clinton wasn't convicted, so news might not have made it to everyone who wasn't watching closely. I was a hopeless newshound back then too, so I recall it in great detail...but that was me.

The trial was interesting to watch, although I admit, I didn't see every minute on Cspan. I got the highlights and some of the real time stuff, like most others who were watching it. Hope that helps! You're not going crazy!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
Then the media has a way of not reporting how they(and others, of course) can screw things up, like Waco. The Branch Davidians may have been a little out there but they were Americans and they were slaughtered. This was proven in front of congress yet never spoken of. It happened years later and I'll tell you, I was alive and kicking at that time and never knew of it. Yet, the official story is still the same in many peoples minds. Most, more like it.
I remember Waco AND Ruby Ridge.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

reply to post by ValentineWiggin

No Joke, actually wish it was now, seeing that everyone seems to know or remember this except me and the people I asked today.

Tempted to take a video camera and go to the mall here, asking people whether they know he was impeached, getting their response and posting it here for you all to see what I mean about no one here knowing that he was indeed impeached in one form or another.

No need, I totally believe you. I was just a shut-in news addict for a while there. Ok..still...always have been. Hmmm maybe we have been conditioned to forget about it prior to Hillary running for president last time...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Yes, he was impeached, but it did not succeed. In other words, just the bringing of the proceedings is called impeachment, as in impeachment hearings. He was not removed from office. But I do not remember all the details, I was working telecom on the road and I just didn't have the capacity for anything else but that.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
How the hell did you not know Clinton was impeached. At you like, 15?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spruk...
When i read your question i immediately thought: "Richard Nixon's Watergate" and "Bill Clintons 'I-did-not-have-sexual-relations-with-THAT-womangate'

Nixon was not impeached. He resigned before impeachment proceedings commenced fearing certain impeachment and removal from office.

Andrew Johnson was the first president to be impeached (actually faced impeachment twice during his tenure, but the first failed House majority requirements to proceed to the Senate), but he was not found "guilty" by the Senate (in the 2nd attempt) thus continued as president through his term.

edit on 10/13/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by revman28

How the hell do you feel entitled enough to talk to me in such a manner as to assume I should know something you do?

You should really ask yourself , 'If I have nothing productive to add, why the hell do I even respond to anyone'

Guess your mom never told you about the rabbit who had nothing nice to say...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join