It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Survival: Show 28: Cold Weather Survial and Sempers Shopping Trip to Knife Heaven!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ba07808fc03.jpg[/atsimg]

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net

The gathered a panel of hosts, include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies, with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
Ahabstar
12m8keall2c
Asktheanimals
and
Advisor

For tonight's show we are going to discuss Cold Weather Survival and Hypothermia; but more exciting!!! We will cover the knife shopping trip Semper made to the Smoky Mountain Knife Works and see what he bought for us to review!!!!

This one is going to be FUN!!! You do NOT want to miss this one

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us some listeners while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. And if you have not checked out our YouTube Channel, stop by and watch the videos we have up. And be sure to leave comments, hit the like button or subscribe as you feel is appropriate.

Looking forward to seeing you there

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Just a note

Semper is in the mountains still on his 10th Anniversary Vacation Trip and will be subject to the broadband internet supplied by the cabin he has rented

We have tested it and it appears to be sufficient to run the show, but if there are any glitches, we will let you all know as soon as possible

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
We will be doing an hour on "Survival Knife Of The Week" this week and highlighting what Semper has purchased for us to review

Below is the short list of knives we will review

SOG "SEAL" Revolver Knife

Gerber "Bear Grills" Edition Machete

The "Ontario Knife Company" Ranger Bowie
Made in Ontario New York, USA

And Last but certainly not least

Kershaw D2
Survival Bowie

Come on folks and join us, this show is going to be FUN!!!!!

Semper
edit on 10/13/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm in. I've been looking to get me a good blade. Looking forward to seeing the discussion.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Haven't tried the SOG or the Bear Grylls Parang thing, But the Parang/bolo style of blade is a hard working chopper, os it should be interesting to see how it stacks up. Gerber makes decent stuff.

Ontario makes REALLY solid blades, and the combat bowie is a solid blade, but bowies are more tactical than practical...hence the name COMBAT Bowie.
The Kershaw D2 chopper is a solid knife that performs very well as a camp tool, and has a deep blade profile that places more forward focus of power in a chopping strike.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Awesome. I came in here just to see if I was right in my prediction of "knife heaven." Sure enough it was Smoky Mountain Knife works. I stop in there every time i go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. That place is awesome. I've spent a lot of money there. Lots if cool "exhibits" and what not too, taxidermy, collection of prison shanks and weapons.

Really cool place. There is also a Bass Pro mega store not too far from there that has tons of cools stuff (camping, hunting, fishing, everything you would ever need in a survival situation). Might want to check that place out too.
edit on 12-10-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Going LIVE!!! in under 10

Tune in for the fun

Semper

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
We are LIVE!!! for the next two hours..

We hope you can join us for the show

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Here is a picture of the knives I have here, on vacation, with me

Several are new and I'm trying them out

From left to right

1. Buck - Hoodlum
2. OKW, Raider Marine Bowie
3. Old.. and I mean OLD Chippewa Knife Works Bowie
4. Kershaw - D2
5. Puma - Scout
6. Gerber - Prodigy (Thanks David, figured it out myself) LOL
7. SOG - Seal Revolver

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Forgot these two

1. KaBar, Becker - BK2
2. Buck - Special Tactical

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Due to being "on call" for work, I really didn't have the opportunity to expound on some other situational topics for cold weather. I feel that sorta cheated the audience so I will summarize some things I wanted to include.

Keeping your core temperature up is a key element. But there are times, especially this time of year when you can be caught unprepared for the weather. Such as your car breaks down on the way home from visiting friends and the sweatjacket that was fine for riding in the car isn't nearly enough having to walk.

For me, that could be several miles walking back roads in the country just to have a cell signal. Key here is improvised insulation. Depending on your surroundings, you can use lightly cumpled newspapers or my personal favorite catfish fluff. Pound for pound cattail fluff has more insulation than goose down and if you have ever had a down coat, they are very warm. Best part is that you can quickly remove stuffing is you are too warm. Wearing a sweatjacket, use that as the inner liner if you happen to have one of those cheap nylon rain jackets that zip up into their own pocket as the outer shell and stuff between the two layers.

Which brings to mind an experiment I want to try with using cattail fluff as the wicking material in a simple alcohol heater. If it works as I think it should, expect a thread or maybe even a video to be forthcoming.

As we are heading into winter months some forgotten essentials for the car: stocking cap and gloves or mittens, a blanket, a spare jacket (even the above mentioned one is better than nothing), HEET (or other liquid de-icer--this is an alcohol based product and can be very handy for starting a small fire for warmth).

Which brings up another small point. Even if you do not smoke or even know anyone that smokes, can you really justify a good reason why you shouldn't always carry a Bic lighter in your pocket? The minor inconvienience and negligible weight is absolutely invaluable should you ever need to make a fire quickly. I have an uncle that has not smoked in 20 years learn the hard way after having had to spend a late October night in the woods with only a pocket flashlight between him and my aunt who does smoke. It was a long chilly night for the both of them. He carries one all the time now.

new topics

top topics

join