It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash Transactions Banned on Used Goods in Louisiana!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This sounds like the precursor to the RFID chip. Soon there will no longer be cash or credit cards.

Every transaction will have to be made using your RFID implant given to you at birth.

I don't like the sound of this one bit.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
everyone of them that knowingly broke the law should be fired on the spot.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
First off, I believe that it's important to not focus on a law itself but how that law is inforced. I have not read this entire thread, but I think everyone is missing the reason for the law. When you look at this objectively it can begin to sound more reasonable. It seems there is emphasis placed on the term "junk".

Now, I'm pretty sure most people have at least heard about the growing problem of "scrappers". These are individuals, primarily drug addicts (meth), who will go into abandoned properties or properties under construction and remove anything of value. The prime target of these scrappers is copper wire. They will strip all of the wiring from a house or any structure. There have even been instances of widespread power outages resulting from scrappers stealing powerlines! They can remove the insulation from these cables and sell the copper scrap for a substantial amount of money.

Moving along, does anyone see the reason why Louisiana of all states would need such a law? The southern part of the state is still very much unrecovered from the damage that Hurricane Katrina caused. There are miles upon miles of abandoned properties across the state. This is easy pickings for these criminals. Without any statute to track the sale of this "loot" the scrappers are virtually unchallenged in their criminal activites.

I don't know for sure, seeing as I am not a part of the Louisiana legislature, but I would bet that this is the prime motivation for the law. I don't think you are going to see Craigslist cops or have big brother at Grandma Boudreaux's garage sale. Besides, I don't think those gator hunting guys from Swamp People would stand for that crap.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mantisfortress

Some of us do understand the application of this law. I think alot of users feel that it may be too vague and can be used against law abiding citizen at a later time. But we do understand what it is meant for now. It is always best to read a thread all the way through before posting assumptions.
edit on 13-10-2011 by blivey because: tired.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by blivey
If I am reading this correctly I think it is meant that scrap or junk dealers can't pay you cash for unwanted items like scrap metal or junk cars. They have to reimburse you with a check, mo, or debit style transaction. I know in GA we have had a huge uprising or minors and adults alkie stealing scrap metal from around and off of people's homes. This law makes it easier to catch those types of sales. It says dealer, not user. If I purchase something from a garage sale I am buying it for personal use.

People in this thread have claimed the used goods part of the law is aimed at pawn shops. Well, "pawn shop" never once appears in the legislation. It specifically lists "individuals" (page 4 line 4) as people who are subject to the law. If it was just about businesses, then it should have said "businesses" instead of "individuals". Its aimed not just at pawn shop but small-time traders. It specifically lists more one item per month. Trading two items per month on Craigslist is nothing more than a side-hobby, and the law seems aimed at those people as well. The only people affected against the law's alleged intentions are people who regularly buy used things for personal use.

Not only is the law designed to prevent theft as you say, its also done to prevent money laundering as other posts have pointed out. All laws in the USA, federal, and local code books are done with "good intentions". So in other words, yes, there is a supposed positive intention behind the law (just like all of them). There were no doubt positive intentions behind Hitler's desire to kick out Jews from Germany and move them all to Madagascar as well. If the intention of a law is good but what it accomplishes is disgusting, it is none the less a disgusting law. So, its odd to me how someone would learn that a law has a good intention and use that as evidence there is nothing wrong with it.

The no-cash law in question contains multiple assaults on basic rights. First it denies us our basic right to trade anything we rightfully own for anything else someone else owns. If I have a dollar I've got the basic right as property owner to give it to whoever I wish at any time. I should not be forced by the government against my will to use a check or credit card when I have cash! That is true even if I own a pawn shop. Secondly it denies the freedom of expression by forcing people to tell the government about who they are doing business with. Pawn shop owners may not have interest in letting the government know where their customers are shopping, what they are buying, and maintaining a personal database against their interests. If we really had the freedom of expression in America we could remain silent any old time we want to without being considered a criminal by that action alone. Those two violations are the reason why the law really is a big deal.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
***THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE***

Sorry, state of Louisiana but you lose on this one as soon as it is taken to court.
Your law does not supersede federal law. Not that they wouldn't like it just the same as Louisiana, but it hasn't been changed.. yet.

there seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread. they are saying a dealer like a scrap yard can't pay YOU in cash, not that you can't buy something from them with cash

all you have to do is go to a bank and cash the check.

and if you didn't steal the copper you just scrapped, then it shouldn't be a problem

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mantisfortress

You make a good point and your position is valid.

However, laws go through a process of editing before they get passed. They are highly scrutinized and carefully worded. There is always an agenda to these kinds of laws. Usually the laws are written in great detail to make it clear how the law is supposed to be applied.

When laws are written in an ambiguous way that leaves them open to interpretation. They are done so on purpose. Lawyers are very smart and think ahead. The reason ambiguous laws are written is to set a precedent. Something they can base a future law on.

A law like this can be used as a stepping stone to pass more laws of a similar character. Which is a dangerous path and I certainly see the intentions of this law being abused. That must be prevented and all laws should be written more clearly to make sure that they are applied correctly. Otherwise we will all be saying I told you so when they break out the RFID chip laws.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
Holy over reactions, everyone.

This law is designed for pawn shops, so it is harder to buy and sell stolen items. I live in upstate NY, and worked in a pawn shop. Every item we bought that we paid over $10, we had to fill out a slip with some form of ID and a description of the goods and furnish it to the police. Several times, stolen items were recovered and thieves were arrested due to this. Its a system that works, allthough the lack of exceptions for common sense particulars (like flea markets, craigslist and ebay) is inexcusable.

The above statement is exactly right. The intent of the law is to curtail hot items being sold at pawn shops and also as stated in another post, for scrap material. Which is a serious problem in the southern part of the state for the reasons stated.
However, it hurts more than it helps. As a Lousianian, I can assure you that if it is used in an abusive manner, ie garage sales, etc, there will be significant backlash and the law will be repealed or modified to be more specific.
Louisianians forced the FDA to back off their ruling to make illegal the sale of raw oysters for consumption ( a Gulf Coast staple) through an aggressive email, snail mail, and phone campaign to that agency, the white house and our elected officials. If we can push back and check a large federal agency, we can surely do the same to our dingleberry state legislators.
Not many Louisianians are even aware of this new legislation (I read about this 2 days ago on a local website). But if the law makes itself known in any capacity that isn't catching thieves, it will likely be repealed or modified.
edit on 13-10-2011 by radosta because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2011 by radosta because: sp

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is why BitCoin was made. BitCoins are electronic, so it can be the new cash. And it's outside government control. It's also outside corporate control. That means banks won't get a better margin each time you use it. But, remember to have some savings in gold. Bitcoins are for now mostly for shopping.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
i say we just give Louisiana back to france

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I still don't see how this is legal. Is there any precedent that would allow a law to be passed not allowing or legal tender in a transaction? If it was a private business, I could see maybe getting away with it, but for it to happen by the government just doesn't seem legal.

Either way, its a bad move for freedom.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
With a broke government federally and locally, good luck trying to enforce that one.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I know this is one line, but really what more need be said -Barter!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Boy lemme tell you... they (lawmakers) sure have been to work ever since this OWS stuff started on the news channels.

There's about 50 people in Occupy New Orleans and I'm pretty sure its the only Occupy protest in the state. Other than a handful of N.O. hipster transplants, Louisianians aren't real big on collectivism.
This law is just a goofy attempt to catch thieves on the surface and likely a way to track transactions that may not be "on the level" (in other words, they want to make sure the 4% sales tax is enforced because the state is broke and trying to make up revenue).
It won't work. There's not enough money to enforce it even if they intend to abuse it.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seachange

The thing about cash, is that it cannot be traced, hence the big song and dance about it being illegal for "whatever tptb deem illegal".
It may be an attempt to limit thieves on selling hot merchandise but lets face it, if you bought some things from a garage sale once a week all in cash, who would be any the wiser? I doubt the police have the man power to enforce that rubbish.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by radosta

Not just this though, apparently there has been a whole handful of intrusive and rather debatable laws going into effect.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The value of cash transactions is anonymity.

Remove cash and there's only barter left. I give you this, you give me that, done.

Harder to quantize, but remains anonymous.

Maybe pay and accept payment in gold or silver instead of cash, or even copper and iron, or pure salt.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Where does the gaul of the government punks end ?

edit on 13-10-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I can see it now.........

You walk into your cell...........Your celly asks you, "what you in for?"

You relply, " I sold my kids drum set and my lawn mower both in one month"..................................

WTF.......................

There is two states I will refuse to live in, maybe even visit..........

California and Louisiana

People need to move out.....If Illinois keeps it up I may think about it............What happens when there is no place left?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What the hell is wrong with you Louisiana?

If this happens in my state, there will be hell to pay! This is not the kind of world I want to live in, people will go down fighting this system...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join