It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Is Cheney Dropping Out? Is McCain the Secret Weapon for November?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Phreak, when you say, "Oh... if only he'd won in 2000." Do you mean McCain? Or did you mean GWB?

The reason I ask, If the zero year curse is to take effect, would it not effect the man who was 'elected'?? Maybe since GWB was appointed, he is in no danger from the curse.--But does it follow that Gore might be the one 'cursed'?? ( I came across this question somewhere, not sure to whom I should give the credit. Your wistful statment made recall it.)

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
Phreak, when you say, "Oh... if only he'd won in 2000." Do you mean McCain? Or did you mean GWB?

The reason I ask, If the zero year curse is to take effect, would it not effect the man who was 'elected'?? Maybe since GWB was appointed, he is in no danger from the curse.--But does it follow that Gore might be the one 'cursed'?? ( I came across this question somewhere, not sure to whom I should give the credit. Your wistful statment made recall it.)

I was wishing McCain had been elected in 2000. Not so he could fufill a zero year curse, I'm doubtfull about that, but so that we could have had a president that appealed to the moderate majority of the country.

I believe McCain would have done the right thing in Afghanistan, but probably continued the Clinton policy of isolation with Iraq. We wouldn't have lost world wide respect, although that's not tremendously important to me, and enjoy more help in the war on terror. Although McCain probably wouldn't have started that either.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
He [Cheney] has a very distinguished conservative voting record he defended in USA Today:

Unwavering support for access to armor piercing bullets and plastic guns designed to avoid metal detectors...

There is no such thing as a plastic gun to avoid metal detectors. This lie made an obscure Austrian upstart firearms manufacturer rich by giving him millions of dollars in free publicity. His name is Gaston Glock.

[edit on 04/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Phreak, I would have voted for McCain myself. ( Not thinking you were thinking of the curse coming to bear on him.)

I agree he would bring over votes, but I thought he already looked uncomfortable with his support of Bush. I had already decided that he had been coerced into it. ( He doesn't look as healthy as he did before that cancer surgery he had. Maybe they somehow threatened his pension or other benefits?)

[edit on 29-8-2004 by frayed1]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The problem with McCain is not his moderate appearance, but his taking the occasional hard left. His Campaign Finance Law is a giant step backward for free speech.

I don't really like Giuliani because of his anti-Second Amendment stance and his exploitation of tradedy to push his adenda, but he is America's Mayor and he has a reputation for no nonsense approach to government, plus his success in decreasing crime in NY and cleaning up Times Square.

He would appeal to a broad base of the electorate and could be a strong candidate against Hillary. He has a warm appeal Hillary will never be able to match, even if she took to wearing an apron and passing out homebaked cookies as all her campaign events.

[edit on 04/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
Phreak, I would have voted for McCain myself. ( Not thinking you were thinking of the curse coming to bear on him.)

I agree he would bring over votes, but I thought he already looked uncomfortable with his support of Bush. I had already decided that he had been coerced into it. ( He doesn't look as healthy as he did before that cancer surgery he had. Maybe they somehow threatened his pension or other benefits?)

Maybe McCain is the Manchurian Candidate... maybe he just needs to get close enough to GW to do him in.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The problem with McCain is not his moderate appearance, but his taking the occasional hard left. His Campaign Finance Law is a giant step backward for free speech.

I don't really like Giuliani because of his anti-Second Amendment stance and his exploitation of tradedy to push his adenda, but he is America's Mayor and he has a reputation for no nonsense approach to government, plus his success in decreasing crime in NY and cleaning up Times Square.

He would appeal to a broad base of the electorate and could be a strong candidate against Hillary. He has a warm appeal Hillary will never be able to match, even if she took to wearing an apron and passing out homebaked cookies as all her campaign events.

Hillary in an apron...

laughing so hard it hurts ...

[edit on 8/29/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
McCain? Guliani? I would think either one would be all it takes to turn the tide in Bush's favor. But, IMHO, I believe McCain would be the best choice for Republicans.

I think people in general don't trust Cheney. He's too reclusive and mysterious. I'll take that a step further. I think Cheney kind of scares the hell out of a lot of people.

As far as McCain goes, although he may be unpredictable at times, for the better part he's a conservative. And so, I think if it would mean winning the election handily, then the Republican Party would welcome McCain to the ticket with open arms. Plus, having a war hero like John McCain on the ticket would check mate Kerry's war record and put that strategy to rest. Also, many Americans would be swayed by McCain (especially vets and swing voters) in hopes that his military experience and savvy might help bring the Iraq conflict to a resolution.

Being a renegade, though, McCain may not want the assignment. I think his recent vocal support for Bush, though, is a sign of something in the works. Who knows? Bush wouldn't have kissed him for nothing.

Guliani, well, he would probably jump on it in a hot flash to bolster his career and put him in the running for President in 2008 or 2012. Personal ambitions aside, though, I think the American electorate would feel more comfortable with him than with Cheney.

Like I said, whether McCain or Guliani, IMO it would have to be a plus for the Republican Party to welcome either one aboard. Personally, I would feel more comfortable having McCain pulling the puppet strings than Guliani.

PS: "wearing an apron and passing out homebaked cookies as all her campaign events ...". Good one, Grady!

[edit on 8/29/2004 by netbound]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
To all and any liberals or moderates out there who may read this, here is the"bad news" you don't want to hear; President Bush and Vice President Cheney will be at point in the United States government for the next 4 years, so quit your whining, dig a hole, crawl in and die.

Oh, yeah, nearly forgot, make sure that you have someone cover you up so your liberal stench don't pollute my conservative air.

[edit on 29/8/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Well from what I've seen...

Iraq is a quagmire.
The economy is flagging.
Unemployment is very high.
Reccession (Yes i used the R word)
And Bush fails to connect with middle america.

We all know polls are just a cross section of a small group that is supposed to reflect the American community and when you put them into point differences you'll see that single digit gains may not be all that they seem.

Margin of error on your average poll? -3/+3% and in the lesser ones its normally around. -5/+5%. Its too close to call.

Nerdling...

I didn't ask for your personal opinion. I asked if you were aware of the most recent data... data that shows Bush with a 49-45 lead. You've made a lot of assertions above that you haven't backed up with any kind of data... when you say stuff like "Bush doesn't connect with middle america" i MUST question your credentials as a reporter on american political matters. To be frank, that kind of writing sounds like pure partisan rhetoric instead of serious political analysis.

I serously wonder if yiou know much about American politics. Perhaps 'ATSNN' should look for writers who understand a little bit more about how the american political system works?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
BTW,

I think that it might be in the best interest of everyone if European posters indicated that they were not Americans when giving their opinions regarding the current US domestic climate.

Because of the power of the internet... this may very well be the first US election where non-Americans had a significant hand in shaping/influencing/affecting the final US vote.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I for one would love to see a bush Mccain ticket for 04 and a McCain-guiliani ticket in 08 there would be no stopping us "repugnants" for the next 12 years MWHAAHAAAHAA

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I for one like McCain and would be sorely disappointed if he decided to hold the coat tails of an IDIOT like Bush. And if Cheney were to resign for one reason or another [Haliburton is about to bring his career to an end, if you saw TV this evening] I can not visualize McCain wanting to step into his shoes. I also look for Powell and Rumsfeld to resign for personal reasons. In closing, like father, like son, one term. Unless he is corrupt enough to do the unthinkable!

Tut

hkb

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Unwavering support for access to armor piercing bullets and plastic guns designed to avoid metal detectors...

Probably because the law was majorly flawed. Armor-piercing bullets was a ridiculously mis-used term and referred to ammunition which was not, in fact, designed to pierce armor.

There are no guns manufactured that are plastic and designed to avoid metal detectors. People have been watching too much Die Hard 2. There IS NO Glock 7 that's designed to avoid metal detectors. Guns currently and will, for the forseeable future, require metal parts for the integral firing components. Even the polymer guns out there still contain substantial metal. The whole top half of a Glock is metal. Polymer guns were created to reduce a weapon's weight. Regardless, they're still mostly metal. even the lower polymer parts of the guns contain a lot of metal. This is a total myth perpetuated by Die Hard 2 and In The Line Of Fire. Stop relying on movies for your "facts".

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I would have to seriously consider voting for a Bush / McCain ticket as well. But then I would be wishing that the zero year curse would catch up with Bush.

Just so you know, the zero year curse is an urban legend. Reagan of course, didn't die in office, and I believe (not sure) that Harding also skipped the curse.....anyhow, I remember an old roomate and I having a bet about it, and losing the bet...hehe...

One thing to consider....Cheney has a gay daughter, and supports the right to gay marriage...
Who knows? Maybe Bush will pick another...? Somehow I still doubt it though....

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Bush could have Martin Luther King Jr. on the ticket, doesn't help him. Also, McCain would not accept the Vice president spot. John Kerry asked him to be his VP, and he turned it down for the VP has no power. Why would he want no power under Bush if he didn't want that under Kerry?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Cheney was just nominated at the convention by a delegate of his home state. Hastert just confirmed the nomination as well. So I guess if there would be a Bush McCain ticket it's going to come from some shock announcement at a later date.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Djarums I was thinking the same thing. Since the nomination has been offered I am not sure how they would spin this. Cheney has been to the MSG several times this weekend reviewing the venue and preparing his speech. Seems odd if he was planning to step down.

Personally I would be willing to eat my hat if Cheney was to not run this election. I think we would more likely see him leave after the election, Bush can then bring in whomever he wants and will get less flack then to shock the convention by Cheney turning the nomination down (which I believe is the only thing he could do since they ratified him this morning).

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't see McCain stepping in.
I DO see Guiliani stepping in if the opportunity came up.
But ... I think that the team will stick with Cheney.
It's too bad ... Guiliani would be awesome.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Here's a pretty whacky conspiracy for ya....
How about Cheney has a very public heart attack while speaking at the convention. Days later from his hospital bed, Cheney removes himself from the ticket. GWB get's to placate the Hard Right by sticking with Cheney at the convention, and get's to satisfy the middle by picking McCain to run with.

Of course Cheney's heart attack will be fictious.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Tut, I would also be disappointed if McCain joined Bush, but I was surprised that he came out so strongly in support of Bush. I still think he had an uncomfortable look on his face when he did it.

Since they are saying Cheney has already been nominated and confirmed for this run, maybe we won't have to worry about McCain ruining his rep.!

As for the zero year curse, Gazrok, I thought Reagan was the only 'miss'. ( Harding died from food poisoning) And some argue that after Reagan was shot, he was never the same, like 'part of him died'. I read in an astrology article that since Nancy Regan was so into astrology, she had the time of Ronnie's swearing in moved - maybe just a few minutes - but enough to change the 'alignment' and effecting a slightly different outcome.

[edit on 30-8-2004 by frayed1]

[edit on 30-8-2004 by frayed1]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join