It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory of Simple Device Powered by One Magnet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I haven't tested this theory but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. As we all know, current can be induced in a copper coil, that is wrapped around an iron core, if that iron core contains a magnetic flux that is either increasing in strength or decreasing in strength. If the flux strength is constant, no current is induced. I've always been puzzled as to why that would be and here is my solution to that mystery.

Imagine an iron rod that is horizontal, which is wrapped by a copper wire in a series of turns to create a coil. If we could see inside the iron core, an increasing magnetic flux might appear as a wave of energy. When that wave hits the first turn of the coil, there will be a difference in flux strength between the wire of the first turn and the wire of the 2nd turn next to it. I believe that it's that difference that induces the current. The reason why I think this is the case, is that the current induced in the first turn generates it's own magnetic field which, because the flux at that point is higher, will overpower the magnetic field that is generated by the wire in the adjacent turn, which is pushing against adjacent magnetic fields and therefore current flows. When overall field strength in the core is constant, the magnetic field generated by each turn of the coil, is exactly equal to that of every other turn of the coil and counteracts each other meaning that there is no current flow.

But supposing that the turns of the coil, were separated from each other by enough distance that their own magnetic fields would not interact? In that case, why wouldn't a magnetic flux of constant strength, passing through the iron core, induce a current in the coil? If this theory is correct, then one magnet, connected to an iron core, which is wrapped with a coil that has spaces between turns, should generate a constant flow of DC. I hope someone, who is experienced with building electric devices, which I am not, will try this and post the results.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Then why don't to try and put it into practise? You've obviously thought a bit into it. Find out if it is at all plausible and then try it. The thing is that I'm sure that if it was plausible then someone would have already snapped the idea up. That being said, in the society we live in it wouldn't even surprise me in the least if we were terraforming planets in our solar system and it was being covered up..

Due to the extreme amount of crap and disinfo out there we the public have no realistic idea of what the current technology threshold is.

I don't know enough about physics to help you out with this I'm afraid.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Studenofhistory

Get a cheap volt meter from the auto parts store.
Get a speaker magnet, one generic iron rod of preferred size, and some copper wire.
glue it all together, ie; attach magnet, and coil copper around rod.
put one lead from volt meter on one end of your copper coil, and the other on the other.
expand and contract the length, or gaps of your copper coil like a slinky toy until you either see or don't see any current on the volt meter.

done.
I think.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Studenofhistory
In that case, why wouldn't a magnetic flux of constant strength, passing through the iron core, induce a current in the coil?

Well there's one problem right there.....a magnetic field of constant strength means it's not fluxing! I don't think you understand the word 'flux'....a fluxing magnetic field is one that is constantly changing, and it's that change which induces the charge in conductive wire. I'm not even sure what you are getting at with the rest of your description....for instance the coils of a copper wire don't already have their own magnetic field....they get that when you run a charge through them.....not to mention that they are connected one to another, so it doesn't matter how far apart they are.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

The motion of the magnet past the coil is what causes the magnetic flux. You will need some kind of induction to get the voltage flowing through the coil.

One type of coil that self induces is the saltwater wound coil. If you take a copper pipe and wrap it with paper towel soaked in saltwater between layers of galvanized wire you will get voltage out. This is a chemical reaction from dissimilar metals and saltwater.

You can do the same thing with a copper pipe wrapped with saltwater paper towel slid inside a galvanized pipe. The fit should be snug. You can add more saltwater to the pipes over time to rejuvenate the cells. Each one will put out about a half of a volt. I use 6 cells in series to run 10 led's. It will last about 2 months before you need to rejuvenate the cells with saltwater.

Either one of these cells will supply your impulse voltage for your coil.

Another option is a RODIN coil. I have made and tested several and there is a million ways to wind them. I have been able to induce voltage into these coils from nearby sources of EMI. I have a plasma plug test rig I built which puts out a lot of voltage through EMI every time it fires. I was able to pick up hundreds of volts without the coil attached to anything. If you have a source of radio or other radiation around you that will induce this coil if there are enough milliwatts. It will induce from a cell phone easily when the cell is transmitting.

Electron flow requires an impetus of some sort whether it be a voltage input or a magnetic flux input.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
once a good few years back i had imsomnia for about a week,and loads of thoughts were pouring into my head, i started drawing it and was going to make a prototype of it.then one day a relative walks in and hand me a book called (bridge to infinity)in that book i saw my exact design and name of components. to make a long story short,the goverment had already a patent on it and forbid the production of it,my point is,they have explored alot in the magnetic feild and its been kept away from us.so why invent something that might be even used against you?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Studenofhistory
As we all know, current can be induced in a copper coil, that is wrapped around an iron core, if that iron core contains a magnetic flux that is either increasing in strength or decreasing in strength. If the flux strength is constant, no current is induced. I've always been puzzled as to why that would be and here is my solution to that mystery.

It needn't be a copper coil as any electrical conductor will work and even no coil at all works IE a straight conductor. The core needn't be iron as any type of core, even air or a vacuum, will still work but ferromagnetic materials such as iron do concentrate any magnetic field (flux) making it more efficient. There are many types of core materials used, chosen for their saturation and hysteresis characteristics in relation to the application's frequency and operating load range.

It's possible to construct an electrical machine with no moving parts based on these principles - it's called the transformer EG the wall wart powering your modem, automotive ignition coil, tesla coil etc. Tesla's inspired creation of a rotating field (the polyphase AC system) made high efficiency use of transformers possible. The only thing moving in them is the magnetic field. There's no implied overunity in them though as the best you can get is 100% efficiency if you could use superconducting windings to eliminate the I^2.R 'copper loss' and a core material with no 'iron loss' caused by hysteresis of the core material (it takes a measurable effort to reverse the field). The perfect transformer does not exist unfortunately.

The bottom line is that the conductor and the magnetic field have to move in relation to each other and that takes mechanical input either at the generating source (power station for a transformer) or locally to move the conductor). There are electronic means of creating an oscillating magnetic field with no moving parts but the energy for that process must come from a source like a battery or the mains so all we're doing is converting mechanical or chemical potential energy into electrical energy.
edit on 13/10/2011 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The only thing that gives the coil a magnetic field is current flowing through the windings.

To get current to flow through the coil using a magnet, you have to change the magnetic environment. In other words, you must increase or decrease distance between the coil and the magnet. That will induce a voltage into the windings. The voltage that is induced strengthens as more turns of wire are added to the coil. By separating the windings, you are adding less turns, and therefore, less voltage.

Now you could also create a magnetic field around the coil by connecting it to a source of current. Then the coil would be your magnet, but the strength of the magnetic field would only depend on the amount of current you supplied to the coil and also the number of turns of wire.

new topics

top topics

join