It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Death genome revealed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Black Death genome revealed

www.cbc.ca

The DNA of the Black Death bacteria has been sequenced, a development that could allow researchers to track how it evolved to become such a killer.

In the Black Death plague, an estimated 50 million Europeans were killed between 1347 and 1351 — about half of the population in five years. It's thought that the bacterium Yersinia pestis was the cause.

In Wednesday's online issue of the journal Nature, researchers in Hamilton, Ont., and the University of Tubingen in Germany describe the entire genome of the bacteria.

"The genomic data show that this bacterial strain, or variant, is
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theglobeandmail.com
www.ctv.ca

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
First off, I am 100% for advances in modern science. What worries me is that they are digging up bodies that had the Black Death Plague. I'm sure they have great facilities and all but this still bothers me. I recall when they first mentioned that they are digging up the bodies a while back. The first thing I thought about was a Stephen King "The Stand" type scenario.

I am confident this is nothing worth worrying about but I can't help but think "What if". We already know that modern science can make mistakes. Look at Chernobyl, Fukushima, Deep Water Horizon...etc. Regardless of our advancements humans are well known to screw things up.

An outbreak of the Black Death Plague is the last thing this world needs right now.

www.cbc.ca

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I read " The Black Death gnome"

The truth is less exciting in my eyes lol

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

Ha!

Sorry about that.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this, I was going to post it earlier but decided against it. It alarms me a little to the reasons behind them doing this. After all remember the bird flu outbreak which was supposingly made in a lab, I just can only hope they do not use this for sinister purposes.

I also find it odd at the timing of this, when there is an outbreak of the plague in Libya.

The World Health Organization (WHO) is sending an expert to Libya to look into a reported outbreak of bubonic plague not far from the Egyptian border.
Libyan officials say at least one person has died and several more have been infected in the town of Tubruq.

BBC News

Im not saying in anyway there is a link between the two, but it is coincidence.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I read about this last month here: www.icr.org...

It seems that the genetic relationship is close to a much less virulent soil bacteria. With genetic comparisons, it seems that it might have been a mutation in the soil bacteria (with subsequent loss of regulating sequences) that set up the plague bacteria to become so dangerous.

"...Y. pestis is very closely related to the common gut and soil bacteria Yersinia pseudotuberculosis, which can cause a mild intestinal infection, and to about 12 other species of Yersinia. Why is one strain so much more dangerous than the others?

Researchers, publishing in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that small RNA molecules may make the difference.2 These "sRNAs" regulate bacterial protein production according to complicated feedback networks.

The researchers found that the Y. pestis species was missing six sRNAs that Y. pseudotuberculosis possesses. Further, these six sRNAs regulate the production of proteins that help enable the bacteria to cause disease.

Jovanka Koo, lead author of the report, said in a Northwestern University news release:

An important lesson is that small changes can have big effects on sRNA functions. They can affect when an RNA is expressed or produced, the way that RNA folds, and the ability of that RNA to affect the regulated protein coding RNA.3

Could a loss of important sRNAs in an ancient population of Y. pseudotuberculosis have led to Y. pestis and the plague?"

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Thanks for informing me about the plague in Libya. I was not aware of that.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who at least gave this a second thought. I can't help but not trust these scientists who are playing "GOD".

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

"What if". We already know that modern science can make mistakes. Look at Chernobyl, Fukushima, Deep Water Horizon...etc. Regardless of our advancements humans are well known to screw things up.

An outbreak of the Black Death Plague is the last thing this world needs right now.

www.cbc.ca

To expand on the "what if"
Scientists today use bacteria to mutate other organisms (change the genome) in plants, animals etc.
Bacteria naturally mutate organisms to induce them into making proteins from which they feed.
Bacteria do this by inserting genes into other organisms.
Heavy metals also create mutations.

Facts
Heavy metals are stored in our bodies the final member of the food chain.
Bacteria have evolved here for millions of years and compete against an estimated 100 billion other types of bacteria.
By mass, bacteria is the dominant life form on this planet.
Millions of acres of genetically modified crops are planted and cropped every year.

Want to know
What is the increased rate of attempted gene transfer by bacteria given the presence of a GMO?

Heads up people it is just a matter of time.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah

Same thing happened to me. I was intrigued

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
But after reading that it is a little unsettling they are reviving a bacteria that has done so much harm. It reminds me of the patent on The Swine Flu Virus, it was actually created, and from what I remember it is owned by big Pharmaceutical. The reason on the patent form for creating the virus was something along the lines of "So we can create a vaccine"; great way to make money if you ask me!

also the recent story about the largest/most complex virus strain being dug up off the coast of Chile.

it seems mad

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

What is the increased rate of attempted gene transfer by bacteria given the presence of a GMO?

That would be scary if this disease were to escape, then mutate. I am constantly hearing of new superbugs being discovered and the usual explanation is due to our advances in medicine. These bugs adapt to their surroundings. All the antibacterial soaps and antibiotics we use now days create perfect conditions for these viruses to mutate.

I haven't had the chance to research the link between GMO and virus mutations. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true though.
edit on 12-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Not sure any one follows this but check out www.searchtheearth.com...

It is odd that these two are not connected ?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah

You are not the only one.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I do not think the black death virus lives for ever.

No virus lives forever.

From reading I get the feeling that they just want to
experiment and see what they can find with the bodies.

I for one am NOT for grave desecration.

I'm not so much worried about the black death
as much as the bodies that will be disturbed.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silhouett

The source you provided links to the original source which is the same story as my OP but from the BBC instead of the CBC.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I had an inconclusive argument on ATS last year on viral mutations. Bloke was a working scientist in this field. His position is that viruses are already mutating continuously, mine was with GMO's they would have more ammunition for a wider and therefore more dangerous range of mutation. (I still think I’m right in that more mutations will exist because of this.

I added this argument to an increase of deadly mutations, he disagreed, because of linking the pandemic to virus mutation. The black death, is bacteria driven, he had no argument against bacteria mutation increases.

Hence there will be more bacterial pandemics because of GMO’s.
Further the massive viral pandemics, deaths were actually caused by a bacteria carried in most Europeans lungs. Again more deaths will occur in viral pandemics because of GMO’s.

Getting sick of yelling. And not wanting to be labelled a fear munger but I do think this is the greatest risk facing humans today.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

I have considered the possibility of GMO being a contributor in various phenomena recently around the world. The thing is that I am not an expert on these matters and it seems that the people who are experts are not very open minded when it comes to discussing these types of subjects. I am interested in this topic so the point you mention about GMO and virus mutations is certainly worth looking into.

The Black Death Plague teamed up with GMO sounds like a Hollywood blockbuster. Maybe they can get Arnold Schwarzenegger to star in it

Sorry for the cheesy joke, I had to throw it in.
edit on 12-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
They are ignoring the real possibility that the Black Death was an alien depopulation program for our planet. There are many recorded cases in the period, across Europe, of flying objects that released mists into cities, followed by the onset of plague. These reports are right there in the history.

As reported on "Ancient Aliens" with discussion here on ATS
ATS Link

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Thanks for linking that me up with that thread. I have never seen that one before. I will look into it for sure.

The alien/plague connection is something I have never heard of.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It saddens me for some reason that only one particular race in all the history of civilization carried viruses and diseases from one country to the next.
I wonder why?
edit on 12-10-2011 by LogiosHermes27 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join