Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

U.S. Scientist Patents Time Machine. Possible Connection To John Titor?

page: 3
37
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
"The method employs sinusoidal oscillations of electrical bombardment on the surface of one Kerr type singularity in close proximity to a second Kerr type singularity in such a method to take advantage of the Lense-Thirring effect, to simulate the effect of two point masses on nearly radial orbits in a 2+1 dimensional anti-de Sitter space resulting in creation of circular timelike geodesics conforming to the van Stockum under the Van Den Broeck modification of the Alcubierre geometry (Van Den Broeck 1999) permitting topology change from one spacelike boundary to the other in accordance with Geroch's theorem (Geroch 1967) resulting in a method for the formation of Godel-type geodesically complete spacetime envelopes complete with closed timelike curves."


Thanks for the post




posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I could be wrong, but I seem to recollect that Titor said he really only knew the basics of time travel.

That he wasn’t a physicist. I’m looking for that line now.

Makes for fun reading though.



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
I'm not sure how this patent is actually valid? I thought you actually had to have proof of concept not just a rough idea.
Normally a working model isn't required. The one exception I know of is a perpetual motion machine.

So many quacks tried to patent those that they finally stopped issuing patents unless you had a working model, which means they stopped issuing patents since nobody has a working model. They did issue some perpetual motion machine patents before that policy was implemented though, so the patent is no guarantee it works.

If a bunch of quacks start getting time machine patents, they may institute the same policy they did for perpetual motion machines and require a working model, but they haven't done that yet, so no, it doesn't have to work to get a patent, unless it's a perpetual motion machine.



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by OldCorp
 




IDK if he's John Titor or not, but the possible connection is fascinating to speculate on. I have a problem with the patent claim though. I think that in order to patent something, it actually has to work. And unless this guy knows more than he's telling, there is no way to make it work until (according to the OP) someone can actually harness a singularity.


I'm not sure how this patent is actually valid? I thought you actually had to have proof of concept not just a rough idea. By that line of thinking, can't I just go ahead and patent any idea that might be possible at some point in the future?


It's an application for a patent.
Read the posts carefully.



It would be fascinating if any of this were true, but for me the john Titor hoax was uncovered as just that, a hoax, and the longer it went on the clearer it became that it wasn't even THAT good of a hoax.

But give the man credit, he had come very close to the perfect hoax,


Really? You contradict yourself.
Is it "Almost the perfect hoax, or not THAT good of a hoax" ?







this whole diverging world line nonsense makes it impossible to prove, or disprove, his claims. But his entire story was weak. So in 2036 they have the technology to produce a working time machine, in which you can actually pick a specific date to go back or forward to, but they had to go back to the 1970s for some IBM prototype piece of crap?

He can't tell us anything to prove his claims because it will change history, yet he claims we are on separate world lines so it wouldn't change his history at all. then again, wouldn't going back to get that crappy IBM from the 70s also change the course of history?

I'm gonna see what I can learn about this guy and the patent without giving any additional hits to BIN.



You should take the time to try and read the John Titor story in full.
The need for the IBM is fully explained.

The technical details of the story made so much sense that experts STILL debate who John was.

This was possibly the most well thought out "hoax" Ive ever seen.
The information John gave was so accurate it had physicists scratching their heads.

I still don't believe JT was a time traveler.. but he knew his stuff. He was not some young kid playing online games.
At the very least JT was a very intelligent person having some fun with folks who's minds are well above the average level of intelligence.




edit on 10/13/1111 by BadNinja68 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Wow the threads grown a bit over night. I'm sorry I couldn't be around (Had to work)
. Gonna go over the posts now.

ALS



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
He has a patent.
But has he ever made it work,or is it all still just theory.
And on this John Titor relation,do you guys know they have a website about him,and I'm not sure,but maybe they posted stuff on there from ATS without acknowledgement..

johntitor.com...

And check out this page from the archives of ATS.
The pictures are the same as the patent.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-10-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)





edit on 12-10-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)


Wow it is the same picture. If we are to assume that John Titor was legit then I wonder if were seeing the patent of his (future) time machine.

Nice work
.

ALS



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
So from what I can see we are left with 3 possible explanations....

Marlin B. Pohlman is John Titor,

Marlin B. Pohlman Copied / was inspired to look into the design presented by John Titor,

Marlin B. Pohlman completely independently came up with the patent, and there could be some basis to the whole thing ?

Have I missed a scenario out ?

If so please add


You missed one scenario. Perhaps Marlins patent was the design for John Titors machine.

ALS



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp
 



I was unaware of that. Thank you. Does this mean I can now sue Johnson and Johnson for stealing my idea for a baby wipe warmer?


If you patented it before them, perhaps you could.

ALS



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ok, so I've been able to find a little information on Marlin (without the B) Pohlman:


In 2003 Marlin Pohlman was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and underwent a stem cell transplant. To combat the effects of the chemotherapy he was given high doses of Modafinil in a clinical trial. Modafinil, a nootropic gave him a short term increase his mathematical and cognitive ability. Making the best of a bad situation Marlin put his short-term ability and enhanced focus to work on the mathematics of time travel, a life long interest. This work lead to the publication of USPTO Application #: 20060073976, A Method of gravity distortion and time displacement. This invention is being offered royalty free to any and all groups desiring to pursue this field of study. (e.g. not a product pitch)

In his day job Marlin Pohlman is Director of Governance, Risk and Compliance product strategy for a major bay area enterprise software company he has authored three texts on IT governance and security, Marlin received his BS in Engineering physics from the University of Tulsa, his MBA from Lexington Business School and his PhD in computer science from Trinity University. Marlin is member of Portland Mensa, a Licensed Professional Engineer, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certified Information Security Manager & Certified Information Systems Security Professional


proposals.igniteportland.com...

So he had cancer, and used Modafinil to help write his time machine schematics. Hmmm Strange I hear that college student use the drug to stay awake but I have never heard of it boosting cognitive function but apparently it can.

www.guardian.co.uk...

ALS



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I found a pic of Marlin from Myspace, I must admit hes not what I expected:



Having said that its definatly him:


Schools
University Of Tulsa
Tulsa,Oklahoma
Graduated: 1992
Student status: Alumni
Degree: Bachelor's Degree
Major: Engineering Physics/Mathematics
Minor: Biology


Ahh also on his Myspace:

ETA:

Heroes
Titor, the self-proclaimed time traveler. Check him out. Weird stuff.


Ahh so he is a follower of the story. I guess using his knowledge of physics he tried to use Titors time machine as a template for a real one. Guess thats the end of that.

ALS
edit on 13-10-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I found this on a blog of his:


- A serious disease will occur, it will be called ALS. People will die after 4 hours get ALS


Thats my acronym.....freaky.

AL.....S



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL
 


Ha ha, yeah I did miss one, good catch !

Oh and interesting info on the guy you have dug up, perhaps your scenario could well be the clincher !

Although kind of covered in part by mine, ready....

Titor comes back from the future, with the aid of the device which inspired its creator to patent (well ish ), which facilitated Titor to travel back in the first place.

Mmmm, yeah I think I tied myself up in knots there, but Timey Whimey nonetheless.

It could well be the act of time travel from the future, that makes it possible to be constructed in the past.

Paradox ? or not really ?

Because I would imagine that it is quite feasible that for the dream of time travel to be realised, we would have to have a heads up from the future, in order for it to have been built somewhere in the timeline in the past.

The guy himself seems quite credible too, with all those brains, and then a turbo injection of more cognitive power, if only for a brief period may well have been enough.

I wonder if anyone secretly is working on putting this into practice, even if it is some experimental work around the theory ?
edit on 13-10-2011 by solargeddon because: I knew there was another "t" in putting !



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL
 


Wow that's some interesting stuff about the experimental drug he took which boosted his cognitive ability (limitless anyone). I KNEW this paper was written by someone who knew what they talking about. It amazes me how well he developed a theory around Titors idea, even using the exact same schematic (it was even photocopied, not redrawn).

Here's a better picture I found on Google images. I wonder who the Japanese guy is?



EDIT: The guy on the left appears to be "Jimmy Chen". This is from his myspace page:


About me:
i'm a shadow of my former self as defined by the sun as magic is my habitual crime i owe nothing to where i come from i forget but remember all the same from before i entered into this disgusting age there was a technicolored consciousness who's sick with skin & aches to explode out to through fire & love & disgust into your heartsick nights... i believe in your reoccurrence

i told you the story of my life you didn't believe me.


Lots of weird pictures on his page too.
edit on 13-10-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

"The method employs sinusoidal oscillations of electrical bombardment on the surface of one Kerr type singularity in close proximity to a second Kerr type singularity in such a method to take advantage of the Lense-Thirring effect, to simulate the effect of two point masses on nearly radial orbits in a 2+1 dimensional anti-de Sitter space resulting in creation of circular timelike geodesics conforming to the van Stockum under the Van Den Broeck modification of the Alcubierre geometry (Van Den Broeck 1999) permitting topology change from one spacelike boundary to the other in accordance with Geroch's theorem (Geroch 1967) resulting in a method for the formation of Godel-type geodesically complete spacetime envelopes complete with closed timelike curves."

Obviously.



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Marlin Pohlman is just 1 of 100 others wanting to be Titor, he got his 15 minutes of fame.
Who's up next?
edit on 13-10-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Still,there is something there.


Van Den Broeck modification of the Alcubierre geometry (Van Den Broeck 1999)


In this,they are talking about a warp drive,you know,like in star trek.


The results of Van Den Broeck's work, which will no doubt inflame the passions of warp-loving Trekkies, are posted on the Los Alamos National Laboratories Web site.



A `warp drive' with more reasonable total energy requirements


xxx.lanl.gov...


A few years ago, NASA established the "Breakthrough Propulsion Project", the purpose of which was to investigate the feasibility of super-luminal travel. Unfortunately, due to budget-cuts, the project was suspended. That hasn't stopped researchers from coming up with their own methods of beating Einstein's limit.


www.radford.edu...

Now,how a warp drive is tied into a time machine,I don't know.
I'm learning as I research more.



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder
 

Ok,that is one weird dude.His lover,maybe??????



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It appears that Marlin Pohlman guy has been posting over at GPL. Here are some of his posts. He explains the whole story.


I reverse engineered it. There are three patents you should look up out of the UK on using Bose-Einstein Pairs to modify gravity. I had nothing but the internet and a white board and a lot of Modafinil under clinical trial at the time. I cited all the patents referenced in the bibliography.

Oh...and I recreated the diagrams using visio and mathlab (the spherical field diagram). The internet graphics were unusable.



Think of the Patent Application as a signal flare sent up by someone who didn't think he had much time left. six failed rounds of chemo and a stem cell transplant that also failed. Only the clinical trials, and a trip to Thailand, saved my life. My thought process was that I had done all I could and the only way to convince some future person that my life was worth saving was to publish something truly unique. The quintessence theory cut quite a few corners but the math could be simplified using Seth Lloyd's work (MIT). I like Ronald Mallett but think he may be going down a rabbit hole using light interference. I hope I am wrong and no longer have a chemical crutch to help with the math



Reading the posts I would like to make a request as the subject of the thread.

If you are going to criticize the work I would ask you do so in the following manner.

(a) Cite page, line and equation in which I have introduced an error. (I found the comment on capacitance to be especially useful.)

(b) Cite the error in theoretical assumption or unsuitability of applied theory by describing the incompatible nature of the approach used.

I come from Tulsa, Oklahoma a state with a high population of poorly educated, highly opinionated emotional anti-intellectuals who would not be allowed on the internet if it required a intellectual competency exam. I wrote the patent as an intellectual escape during a time I was threatened with imminent mortality under the influence of medication which made the act of “not thinking”, not possible. As such I chose to focus my mind on an emotionally neutral area which would not scare the hell out me, as the thought of dying often does most people.

In a nut shell, this is why I did it.



As an example.

I think arxiv.org...

if true may push the threshold for singularity creation too high for man portable Kerr type singularity. a particle with a mass of about 144GeV that doesn't behave the way theorists predict the Higgs should could be a proto-singularity with a complex topology or a new force that would put the singularity creation energies out of reach.



Re: 6/9/2011 1:45 PM Overunity Reposts from Paul Andrulis and others.

This is the most accurate and helpful critique of the patent yet. I hadn't relied I stated that "energy flows through the lattice" without resolving the implicit paradigm that quintessence is a representation of matter (and that matter and energy are interchangeable).

I see your point. It is like saying "Ice is made from water yet water flows through Ice."

It is not what I meant to state, but I agree it breaks the analogy/paradigm logic. I need to rethink if this actually breaks the model. Thanks again.

Since I am no longer on nootropics it will take me some time to review the math critique, but it is what I was looking for. Again you have my thanks.

Re: 6/10/2011 3:25 PM when you put in a patent application, you get a "patent pending". If you do not pursue get a "full patent" within one year, then THE INFORMATION BECOMES PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE AND CAN NEVER BE PATENTED

I have no problem with this! I think it is actually for the best.

However, what if I find I made a mistake and that mistake can be corrected. Would the new patent with the correction qualify as a new work?

I actually did leave a message for Andrew D. Basiago yesteday but we did not know of each other prior to this post. Not many attorneys will take on a project such as this. This is a thought experiment as much as anything, since the LHC doesn't seem to be producing singularities yet.

My thought was that publishing this idea as a patent application would hopefully gain the attention of someone smarter than me (like Paul Andrulis) who would help refine the idea. An academic paper would not accomplish this.

Controversy and criticism is the only way real ideas grow.



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
And another:


> So Mr. Marlin Pohlman,

> set the record straight here for everyone please.
> Did you post as the original John Titor? you have to admit > > that it does look a bit fishy.

Response: No, I was as captivated by the Titor possibility as everyone on the forum

If not, it looks like you already admit to using the original drawings and info from 2001 and reverse engineer the idea...is that in fact the case?

> The drawings couldn't be lifted from the post. I had to recreate them using standard geometry. However, I must add that the field diagram was best recreated using Mathlab and entering in the equations cited in the paper ( F. Alladio and P. Micozzi, Phys. Plasmas 3, 72 (1996).) I found this "shortcut" to be a curious affirmation of the approach. It proves nothing other than who ever originally posted the Titor story did their homework or had access to documents with some solid mathematical thought.


> If so, how is your cancer recovery going? (just wondering)

Thanks for asking, The stem cell transplant failed and I went immediately into an experimental clinical trial (the ones reserved for those who probably won't make it) It was rough but worth it.

After I published the patent through the law firm (Stites and Harbison LLP) I felt as though a physical weight had been lifted. The clinical trial coincided with the publication process and I don't think I would have spent the money on the patent if the Stem Cell transplant had succeeded. I still don't know how much of my relief was physical and mental given my condition at the time.

I am now five years in remission without a single sign of relapse. I Ski, SCUBA and workout. The doctors say it is as close to a "total cure"

> If this drug had such a huge impact on your brain, why haven't you tried to get more?

I have tried, the Modafinil wasn't the only mind altering drug that was being prescribed to me at the time. (at the time I was on the list of those who probably wouldn't make it through treatment and I had agreed to any experiment the oncologist would permit) Leukine, Neupogen (both CSF's - colony stimulating factors) Armodafinil, Piracetam, Nefiracetam, even NO2 (for Bone pain associated with CFS) . The Modafinil dose was in the 2g 2 x daily (every 12hrs)...this is "high dose"

I had also employed a Naturopath to administer a "detox" regiment between treatments. For the mental fatigue he had prescribed Red Clover (Trifolium pratense) an Isoflavone, L-DOPA, Biopterin and a whole host of kidney and liver dealkylation agents.

(This list is from memory and probably incomplete)

During treatment I noticed the crosswords and games were getting easier, I took up Sudoku...grew bored as I began completing faster than I could write. I did mock stock prediction (my attorney had already taken over my finances) my picks (mock returns) were in the 180% in a two week period $1=$1.80. I starting taking MENSA and LSAT prep tests for fun, to pass the time. My practice LSATS were in the 170s... and everything I tried to read or study became incredibly boring.

Oracle, my employer, had forbid me from doing anything IT related as they said it would violate my FMLA leave. So I thought I would try to debunk Titor. I hated the whole "end of the world" thing.

As I read more ArXive articles my friends had downloaded on my laptop it started to make sense. I could "kind of" see what two (or even three) spinning point masses with charge and "spin" would look like. I spent days "daydreaming" of topologies and white boarding in my 12ft x 14ft isolation room.

To this day I miss the mental clarity. The movie "Limitless" almost made me cry.

Did you actually file the full patent app after you originally filed? If so, what was the outcome?

> I filed the patent application, the patent examiner and I had a few phone calls. I paid five grad students to individually attack the patent and find flaws, there were a couple of sign errors (the hardest to catch). It seems to file a method patent you must prove that all your components can be found or manufactured. The lack of a charged singularity in containment is the only hold up on approval.



posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder
 

So,WOW!
Where can I get this"mental clarity" drug?
He seems pretty legit.
But,then again,I can be a little gullible at times.

Good job in digging that up.







top topics



 
37
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join