It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longtime Motorola CEO Robert W. Galvin dies at 89

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Longtime Motorola CEO Robert W. Galvin dies at 89

www.chicagotribune. com

Robert Galvin, the former chief executive of Motorola who led the company as it pioneered the cellular phone, passed away Tuesday night at the age of 89, his family said.

Galvin took over Motorola in 1959, succeeding his father, company founder Paul Galvin. When he assumed the CEO role, Motorola's annual sales were $290 million. By the time Galvin stepped down as chairman in 1990, Motorola was a global company with $10.8 billion in annual sales. Galvin oversaw a number of major milestones on the way to creating the cell phone industry. Motorola introduced the DynaTAC, the first portable c
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I must admit I'm not particularly a fan of mobile phones, I don't even own one, but hearing of Robert Galvin's death is truly sad news. He contributed greatly to the transformation of society with his innovations in computing and telecommunications.

He was awarded the Vannevar Bush Award for "his visionary leadership to enhance U.S. innovation, competitiveness, and excellence at the interface of science and technology with the Nation’s industrial enterprise."

Sadly leaves behind a wife, four children and thirteen grandchildren.

May he rest in peace.

www.chicagotribune. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
here we go, everyone copying apple *again*

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
here we go, everyone copying apple *again*

Funny you should mention that. Apple's first computers used Motorola microchips.

top topics

join