It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of brave dentists speak out against water fluoridation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

long-held, unsubstantiated medical dogma purported to prevent tooth decay,

unsubstantiated?
I went to the library and found loads of evidence that it does indeed prevent tooth decay. And it can only damage bones, and other organs, in levels ridiculously higher than what is consumed. EVERYTHING you eat and drink is dangerous in ridiculously high levels.

So to the people who claim it destroys the brain and other organs, is your evidence on the internet, or did you actually go to a library and research it?
You shouldn't believe anything you read online.

edit on 12-10-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
reply to post by Aim64C

Flouride is the by-product of nuclear and metal manufacturing, it may not be classified as posion but it will still kill you.

And water, H20, itself is a by-product of many nuclear, metal, and pharmaceutical processes.

BTW, it(Sodium Fluoride) is classified as a poison and it is considered toxic...but not in the amounts put in water, nor when you take into account the fluoride in food and toothpaste.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Great to hear. Although, it will take an indisputable, reputable source to come out and say that adding fluoride to the water supply causes health problems before the majority of dentists dismiss their beliefs that fluoride is a good thing. My father is a dentist and he fought arduously and tirelessly in advocating for fluoridation going to the Pennsylvania State House of Representatives to argue its benefits. They passed the bill a few years ago which mandates that municipalities fluoridate their water supply in communities with more than five hundred households. When he won, he was ecstatic, but now he's seeing more and more of the adverse effects popping up in journals and dental magazines, and it's easy to see that his past efforts now leave a bad taste in his mouth. I do not blame him, nor a lot of other dentists for advocating for something that they thought was right, based off of skewed information that they were taught and told. My father, for instance, is not someone that is aloof to new information and knowledge within his profession and puts in hundreds of hours of continuing education every year. The true enemy are those broadcasting and publishing the research and claims that fluoridation is good.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I JUST got into an argument with my buddy, yesterday, about this and he said it was just another batsh:t conspiracy theory, and claimed he just read an article 'the other day' saying it was one of the best inventions in the last 50 years.

Obviously, THIS is bullsh:t, but can someone at least tell me when/why we first started adding flouride - I mean, I know we thought it was a great idea at SOME point (long ago) but how quickly(?) was it that people started realizing it might not be a good idea, etc...?

S&F.
edit on 10/12/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

I JUST got into an argument with my buddy, yesterday, about this and he said it was just another batsh:t conspiracy theory, and claimed he just read an article 'the other day' saying it was one of the best inventions in the last 50 years.

Obviously, THIS is bullsh:t

A: The idea that Fluoridated water is somehow some toxic, debilitating substance is a guano-loco conspiracy theory with no basis in reality.

B: I would agree that claiming Fluoridated water as one of the top inventions/accomplishments of the last 50 is pretty bull# and is named more out of a PR agenda than out of it being a genuine accomplishment. Transistor-Transistor Logic has had a far greater impact on our way of life and the trajectory of society - not to mention the successive Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor and Emitter Coupled Logic that have replaced TTL.

Hell - Lithium-Ion batteries are a better invention than Fluoridated water, and have had a far greater impact, as well.

Still doesn't make fluoridated water part of some devious plan to "keep us down." (All of the OWS people must not drink fluoridated water, or something...)

but can someone at least tell me when/why we first started adding flouride - I mean, I know we thought it was a great idea at SOME point (long ago) but how quickly(?) was it that people started realizing it might not be a good idea, etc...?

It was about the 1950s. It was a big deal back then, as well. See: General Ripper from the movie "Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb." Back in the day - it was a "communist plot to taint our precious bodily fluids." (All connotations implied).

It was just as ridiculous back then as it is now.

As for when it "became a bad idea" - the reality is that there have never been any studies that demonstrate fluoridated drinking water to be a health hazard. There are cases where fluoride can become an issue when consumed in copious amounts (see my first post about a group that developed skeletal fluorosis after consuming nearly 2 gallons of tea per day for the past 30 years) - but you really have to go to the extremes to get yourself into trouble.

It is far easier to drink too much water and end up making yourself sick - or even die.

Now, personally, I don't support putting fluoride in the public water supply from a political standpoint. I don't think it's the government's responsibility to treat medical conditions. We can argue just how effective this particular case is all day - the point is, I don't think it's a good idea to set the precedent that a local government can decide (without a popular super-majority) to begin placing additives into public water supplies - whether it's a miracle drug that cures all your ills or a disinfectant that Billy Mays guarantees will kill you and your kids. It needs to be a super-majority popular vote to start trying to medicate everyone.

If a super-majority wants it, then it's a different issue. It's just one of those things where I'm not wild about a few representatives being able to make such powerful decisions without much of a legal recourse for the general populace to check that power.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
There seems to be a lot of confusion about Fluoride. So let's set the record straight, eh? First a little history;

Fluoride is the active ingredient in all rat poisons. Fluoride is the second most poisonous compound know to man. Fluoride is one of the smallest molecules we know of, therefore it is near impossible to remove it from your system, instead it goes straight to your bones.

For those of you who did not feel this issue important enough to watch this very informative video because it was 70 min long, I will hit some of the highlights for you.

In 1934 Germany began to Fluoridate the water. Hmm! It was for population control, and this is where we got it. But the Russians got it there too, and they used it in the Gulags of Siberia, again for population control.

Fluoride comes from two places; the production of aluminum, and the production of nuclear weapons. In the early 50s people who lived near both of these types of plants were beginning to sue. A young researcher did a little bit of research and found that a very limited amount of Fluoride would indeed help to prevent cavities.

At this point Mellon, who was Alcoa, and Uncle Sam took notice, they both wanted to keep building what they were building. It was decided that if Fluoride was added to the peoples drinking water, not only would the law suits be thrown out, but the people would be easier to control.

If you look on the back of a tube of Fluoridated toothpaste you will see a Poison Control Center, warning. If you look on an non-fluoridated toothpaste the warning is missing.

But enough from me for the moment, let's go see what Dr. Mullinex has to say. She has been researching into the matter for a long time and has some interesting thoughts to go along with her excellent credentials.

Here is what the American Academy of Pediatric Dentists has to say on their website.

AAPD

Pretty much what we've always heard, but it sounds a little different after listening to the Dr.

Here is an academic site that has nothing to do with dentistry, not that I suggest anything here.

The National Academic Press

oh and one more vid

Hope this helps

edit on 12-10-2011 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is the stupidest crusade in history.
Show me one person out of the tens of millions that drink fluoridated water that got brain damage from it.
Just one, come on.

It is so aggravating that people will have an outcry over bogus fairy tales like this, but don't do a damn thing against any of the dozens of serious offenses business and government do to us each day.

Big business is responsible for destroying our planet, our economy and our society, but you want to bitch about fluoride.

You guys need to buy some brain cells that you claim to have lost from fluoride and actually learn something about the world.
edit on 13-10-2011 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
This is the stupidest crusade in history.
Show me one person out of the tens of millions that drink fluoridated water that got brain damage from it.
Just one, come on.

It is so aggravating that people will have an outcry over bogus fairy tales like this, but don't do a damn thing against any of the dozens of serious offenses business and government do to us each day.

Big business is responsible for destroying our planet, our economy and our society, but you want to bitch about fluoride.

You guys need to buy some brain cells that you claim to have lost from fluoride and actually learn something about the world.
edit on 13-10-2011 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

On one hand you are implying everyone is an idiot.

Than you ask "where is proof we are turning into idiots"?

I think you answered your own question didn't you?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

I agree that this practice must be stopped. It amazes me the people who support this poison.

Peace to you
edit on 13-10-2011 by Buford2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Well, I certainly appreciate everyone's input.

In the last 4 posts we are 50/50 on for / against, with one notable piece of commentary:

Those who claim it is a 'bat sh:t' conspiracy simply say as much without any supporting evidence. Hmmm...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

have you ever read the Matilda O'Donnell MacElroy alien interview? it seems to back up what you have stated.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

There seems to be a lot of confusion about Fluoride. So let's set the record straight, eh?

Fluoride is the active ingredient in all rat poisons.

Really?

en.wikipedia.org...

Seems there's quite a range.

Fluoride is the second most poisonous compound know to man.

www.chemistrydaily.com...

A fluoride ion is the ionic form of fluorine. As a halogen, fluorine forms a monovalent ion (-1 charge). Fluoride forms a binary compound with another element or radical. Examples of common fluoride compounds include hydrofluoric acid (HF), and sodium fluoride (NaF).

... Are you talking about Hydrofluoric acid, or Calcium Fluoroapatite?

Fluoride is one of the smallest molecules we know of, therefore it is near impossible to remove it from your system, instead it goes straight to your bones.

*sigh*

Fluoride compounds, usually calcium fluoride, are naturally found in low concentration in drinking water and some foods, like tea. Fluoride ions replace hydroxide ions in calcium hydroxyapatite , Ca5[(PO4)3OH], in teeth, forming calcium fluoroapatite , Ca5[(PO4)3F], which is more chemically stable and dissolves at a pH of 4.5, compared to 5.5 pH for calcium hydroxyapatite.

Over time, the compound is excreted through the urine, and the half life for concentration of fluorine compounds is on an order of hours. Implied is that fluoride is taken out of circulation by the body and trace amounts bound in bone. Urine tests are a good indication of high exposure to fluoride compounds in the recent past.

It goes straight to your urine.

In 1934 Germany began to Fluoridate the water. Hmm! It was for population control, and this is where we got it. But the Russians got it there too, and they used it in the Gulags of Siberia, again for population control.

The Germans also started programs where women were advised to conceive in graveyards - particularly near the graves of previous strong leaders and war heroes, in the hopes some of them would be reincarnated or otherwise "rub off" on the conceived individuals.

They did some crazy stuff, and some of it worked. ... Other stuff, however, didn't - or was gone about erroneously.

Fluoride comes from two places; the production of aluminum, and the production of nuclear weapons.

There are many, many sources of fluoride - and many compounds that you ingest, for that matter. Of course, this does depend upon what fluoride we are talking about. Fluosilicic acid actually comes from fertilizers. It is added to water supplies in low concentrations and combines with naturally occurring minerals to form completely different fluorides.

It was decided that if Fluoride was added to the peoples drinking water, not only would the law suits be thrown out, but the people would be easier to control.

So the OWS movement must consist only of those who have not been drinking fluoridated water.. and people in cities should display radically different behavior from those in rural areas where fluoridated water is not nearly as common (as well as attraction to fluoridated hygiene products).

.... Come to think of it... the Democrats and other liberal parties have much more of a base in cities... and given the alleged effects of fluoride exposure on mental health... you may be onto something.......

(yes, that was a jab at liberals - I couldn't resist)

If you look on the back of a tube of Fluoridated toothpaste you will see a Poison Control Center, warning. If you look on an non-fluoridated toothpaste the warning is missing.

That is mandated by the government. .... Which is trying to control us... by warning us that using too much of a fluoridated toothpaste is harmful....

Your logic is lacking something....

www.nytimes.com... This is now relevant.

But enough from me for the moment, let's go see what Dr. Mullinex has to say. She has been researching into the matter for a long time and has some interesting thoughts to go along with her excellent credentials.

My response to Dr. Mullinex:

Credentials mean very little when you are evaluating the factual basis of another person's reasoning. She could be voted "Most Awesomest Doctor of The Universe" ... if she can't get her facts straight and use logic as opposed to emotion... I really couldn't care less what she has to say on the issue.

Doesn't mean I won't trust her to diagnose and treat within her field and experience.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The Germans also started programs where women were advised to conceive in graveyards

lol, I got a laugh out of that one.

But the liberal jab?? C'mon!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
DP
edit on 13/10/2011 by HexagonSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dtrock78

Why do you love sodium fluoride so much? And why are you trying to convince other people who you don't know that it is perfectly safe?

If you like it so much, go and eat a tube of toothpaste. Make sure you read the side of the tube/packaging first though.

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dtrock78
Fluoridation of drinking water significantly increases the lifetime/strength of your teeth. Trust me, I just returned from Europe. Everyone over there over 40 looks like they have "meth mouth". If it caused health effects, there would be a clear distinction of "cancer clusters" around every major metropolitan city in America, as most rural communities have private groundwater wells that are not chlorinated.

Do NOT trust him!

I live in a fluoridated area of Europe, and my teeth are a mess. Even though I brush twice a day (with fluoridated toothpaste) and drink the crappy water. Your argument has failed, please explain yourself.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I suspect that dentists would have a very good reason to say flouride in drink water is bad. It doesn't have anything to to with concern either! Less exposure to flouride means more money flowing to...dentists!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HexagonSun

Why do you love sodium fluoride so much? And why are you trying to convince other people who you don't know that it is perfectly safe?

Why are you trying to convince people to purchase special products and equipment?

Sodium Fluoride has fallen out of use long ago. Please educate yourself.

If you like it so much, go and eat a tube of toothpaste. Make sure you read the side of the tube/packaging first though.

Nothing too horrible will happen. The fluoride compounds in the toothpaste will react with gastric acids and induce vomiting.

A lethal dose of sodium fluoride is 75 miligrams/kilogram of body weight - that translates to about 5-8 grams to kill the average person. The half-life of fluoride is also only a couple hours - so you would have to eat more toothpaste than you could fit in your stomach to cause you real biological harm.

For the compounds more often used in toothpaste - you would have to eat far, far more.

I haven't thrown up in a couple years. Pass me the family pack of Colgate Total.

I live in a fluoridated area of Europe, and my teeth are a mess. Even though I brush twice a day (with fluoridated toothpaste) and drink the crappy water. Your argument has failed, please explain yourself.

Genetics and dietary habits have a lot to do with this, as well. Further, actual brushing habits are not uniform amongst populations. Many people fail to brush properly along the gum-line.

By comparison - I live in a non-fluoridated area and am not at all as disciplined with my oral hygiene as I should be. I also work in a restaurant where we get free sodas - and I go through about 3-4 liters of soda a night at work.

I have a few dental issues due to a lack of brushing properly (actually, the soda causes a lot more erosion at the gum line and between my teeth - which is only exacerbated by not brushing and flossing like I should) - but my teeth are very resilient, just naturally (although I have had fluoride treatments as a younger teen and do brush with a toothpaste... I believe is fluoridated - I really don't care too much).

There are always exceptions to the rule. There are always more factors to be had.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by HexagonSun

Why are you trying to convince people to purchase special products and equipment?

Sodium Fluoride has fallen out of use long ago. Please educate yourself.

I wasn't talking to you. But ...

I've just educated myself, and guess what, both my toothpastes contain sodium fluoride. As do other popular brand's ingredients that can be found on the internet. Colgate being one of them.

And what special products or equipment might you be referring to? I'm confused.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well, fluoridation leads to improved dental health. This in turn leads to a reduced need for dentists. I am not surprised dentists dislike fluoride because it threatens their livelihood.

Simple self interest makes us for or against many things.

Regards

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join