It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny brown dwarf found floating free in space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Tiny brown dwarf found floating free in space

www.tgdaily.com

Astronomers have found a 'failed star', or brown dwarf, only six times the size of Jupiter, along with two dozen others that float free in space.

One cluster contains a surprising number of them - half as many as normal stars.

"Our findings suggest once again that objects not much bigger than Jupiter could form the same way as stars do," says professor Ray Jayawardhana of the University of Toronto.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.artsci.utoronto.ca
arxiv.org

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The TG headline seems to be a sensationalized version of the press release title:

Astronomers find bounty of failed stars

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE from the UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO
October 11, 2011

Astronomers find bounty of failed stars: One youngster only six times heftier than Jupiter

While the author does a fair job of relaying the information, it stands clear that the title might be used as another piece of spuriously scattered verbiage which evokes the idea of a rogue brown dwarf which may or may not have relationship to end-of-the-world scenarios.

So, as a preemptive effort. I offer both items for your edification; that we may not be subject to the misdirection of a poorly titled article, taken out of context, to attract comments, based upon a theory which few are willing to accept.

Nevertheless; the notion that we are still at a loss as to explain how such things a 'free floating' brown dwarf stars come about, is immensely interesting... and potentially important... should such theories as we mentioned before turn out to have any weight whatsoever...

www.tgdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
NGC1333 found near Perseus (near Taurus) 720 light years away. Does that mean that what astronomers are seeing is 720 years old?

www.robgendlerastropics.com...

RHO Ophiuchi found near Ophiuchus and Scorpio (opposite side of sky from above NGC1333) 400 light years away. Does that mean that what astronomers are seeing is 400 years old?

www.space.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

If that is how long it took the light to travel to us.. yes... that's exactly what it means. Of course, the light is that old.... I'm sure the objects are much older.
edit on 12-10-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

You could even go as far as to specculate on weather or not the objects are even still there. If it takes so long just for the light to reach us, there is a good chance they might not even be around anymore.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Found another site that says the NGC 1333 is 980 light years away. www.physorg.com...
That would mean that it was there 980 years ago? Still looking to see if anyone wants to say how far this brown dwarf is. Also looking to see how fast it's going and in which direction. No luck on the internet so far. Also wondering about how the number of light years gets figured out. From reading the article in my link seems like it's in some sort of magnetic vortex that affects the dust particles and gas surrounding it, pulling it inwards toward itself.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
In regards to the "lone" brown dwarf....recent evidence supports that many of these dwarfs (and even some large gaseous giants) have been essentially slingshot into space as a result of "Twin" or "Colliding" Galaxies and their extreme changes in gravity they produce as they cycle around each other at incredible speeds.

Want to really "trip out" concerning light years? If you were on a spaceship, right now, 519 light years from space, in your "timezone", Christopher Columbus is just discovering America.

Time, unlike what many people think, is only relative to your position in the physical universe. Something that happened right next to me won't "happen" for billions of years on the other side of the galaxy. And vice versa.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Niburu LIVES!!!

lolololol

Pretty interesting anyway.

Off to read some more.

S n F OP, cool find.
edit on 12-10-2011 by rbnhd76 because: Seriously, Are we under "niburu-warning" again?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Bearing in mind light travels at 180,000 miles per second, 400 light years is still a huge distance, our nearest star is around 4.2 light years away...

not to take away from another great discovery, which are coming regularly these days.

its only a matter of time before one of these turn up in our proverbial backyard..

edit on 12/10/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dtrock78
Want to really "trip out" concerning light years? If you were on a spaceship, right now, 519 light years from space, in your "timezone", Christopher Columbus is just discovering America.

Time, unlike what many people think, is only relative to your position in the physical universe. Something that happened right next to me won't "happen" for billions of years on the other side of the galaxy. And vice versa.

Well, if neutrinos travel FTL then that interpretation is at least warped, if not destroyed.

Actually, I can destroy your interpretation with basic logic:

You and Joe are on planets 500 light years apart. On your planet the year is 2000 AD. You make the claim "on that other planet, it is in fact 1500 AD, because they see the light from 1500 AD. Time on that planet is 500 years behind ours."

Someone asks Joe the same question. Joe similarly says that it is 2000 AD and that YOU are living in 1500 AD.

Clearly you are both wrong.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
While we are talking about distances and light travel, I can't help but recall we have discovered a very real bubble our little Solar System sits in the apparent center of. I understand from the articles what it is..and is not. However, I still wonder if the appearance of objects will be the same on the other side of it than they are from here.

If that bubble the Voyager probes are crossing also causes distortion we aren't yet aware of, things could get very interesting, very quickly, I'd think. I suppose time will tell when we get the first solid sensor readings and eventually a visual perspective from clear outside our Solar System to compare with what we've taken as literal truth from here.

I just can't help but think of that little note at the bottom of your car's mirrors. "Objects are closer than they appear". Happy thoughts, eh?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure but NGC 1333 seems to be some kind of a system and the tiny brown dwarf is supposedly on its' own - independently ambient. So how far away is it? And where has it decided to go? And how long ago did it decide to go off on its' own?

A light year turns out to be a unit of distance, not of time. Here's a site that explains that:

www.ehow.com...

After that, I wanted to know how do astronomers calculate how far away something is and just how accurate is it? Here's a site that explains that:

www.windows2universe.org...

I see alot of assumptions in that method but I'm ok with it as a start if only I could figure out how many years ago the tiny brown dwarf was where it apprears to be now.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
But on a serious not. This floating brown dwarf may help prove my theory that bodies dont hold gravity but rather that places hold gravity. This wandering brown dwarf, (not sure on its origins, maybe Mexico or Asia) to the best of my ability was jarred loose from its "place of gravity" by what I can only picture as a collision with another galaxy or larger body of mass.

But yes, for those wondering, I do believe that objects hold no gravity, just that there electromagnetic fields attract certain objects completely separate from gravity. And that there are pockets of gravity in space that attracts matter. Taking the big bang into account, each of the pockets of gravity only attract certain material that is compatible with its gravitational, electromagnetically, along with the weak and strong forces of the universe. When the matter attracted by the gravitational pocket completely fills the gravitational pocket the matter attracted to said gravitational pocket begins to have severe reactions to the 4 forces of the universe in consequence forms solid bodies of mass or gaseous bodies of mass . It explains why things form they way they do. Why gas giants exist. Along with about 20 notebooks filled with other stuff. I have recently been working on the mathematical proof. But it is difficult. Its like trying to mathematically prove that gravity exists.
edit on 12-10-2011 by ringlejames because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2011 by ringlejames because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

Originally posted by dtrock78

Well, if neutrinos travel FTL then that interpretation is at least warped, if not destroyed.

Actually, I can destroy your interpretation with basic logic:

You and Joe are on planets 500 light years apart. On your planet the year is 2000 AD. You make the claim "on that other planet, it is in fact 1500 AD, because they see the light from 1500 AD. Time on that planet is 500 years behind ours."

Someone asks Joe the same question. Joe similarly says that it is 2000 AD and that YOU are living in 1500 AD.

Clearly you are both wrong.

You're missing what he's saying. He's not saying in actuality Joe's planet is in the year 1500 AD, while his is in 2000AD. He's saying the image/light from Joe's planet that he can see is from 1500 AD. Pretty simple to understand.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Thank you Ryan.

Another way to look at it, literally, is say you have a very, very high powered telescope.

If I was 519 light years away, on a spaceship, looking at the Earth, in fact, looking through the clouds at the surface of the Earth, I would be watching Christopher Columbus pointing, yelling "Land Ho!!!".

The recent quantum physics discovery concerning neutrinos was actually initally witnessed several years ago, but many called it a fluke. This, indeed, is a shattering discovery and I'm interested to learn what may come of it.

Something even deeper to contemplate is the speed of psychic thought. There are many a story of a mother shooting up in bed, in the middle of the night with a feeling of utter dread, only to receive a phone call 20 minutes later from the police that their daughter was killed in a car crash. A twin on the east coast suddenly starts convulsing. Only later is it discovered the other twin, living in California, suffered a fatal brain hemorrhage at the same time. There are many, many documented cases such as these in parapsychology. How do you explain them? How do you even measure that effect in a lab?
edit on 13-10-2011 by dtrock78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dtrock78

thats not entirely true. It has already happened, its just the light, or the information pertaining to the event, hasnt reached you.
but you cant know anything quicker than the speed of light, i would agree to that.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
While not actually about brown dwarf stars, I find this line of reasoning to be interesting.

Bear in mind that we have discussed the 'paired-matter' phenomenon, where no matter the distance whatever happens to one particle happens simultaneously to the other.... which also theoretically defies the light speed information speed-limit.

As for faster than light neutrinos; it is unrelated to this, unless there has been a radical change in the nature of emissions from brown dwarf stars that I am unaware of.

All this news serves to add to the dialog is that brown dwarf stars do exists interdependently of what we traditionally called star systems, and can be found 'free floating.' But that is not so surprising in an infinite universe, is it?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Ah!

So, by that rationale, if it's already happened, but you can't know anything quicker than the speed of light, you're saying it already happened 500 years into the future. See the paradox here? It's only happened relative to how close you were.

If a star blows up 100 million light years away, but we're still seeing and feeling the light from it in real-time....did it really blow up yet?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Cant help but see the way these discoverers reveal their findings like they are promoting soapies with a dash of infomercials "but wait theirs more" scenarios. But a nice find OP, wil s&f u once I know how. Like the destonations of dwarf stars floating mass, so are the light years their away from our lives.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join