It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally, An iPhone App I actually Want

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THIS PRODUCT

I know a lot of you are sick of all the available apps and extra features for smartphones now days but this is very interesting news that relates to what is going on in Japan. Imagine being able to detect radiation from your iPhone. You can already do pretty much anything else with it, why not this?

Scosche announces radiation detector for iPhone

As a result of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, radiation detectors have been a popular item for Japanese consumers. Recognizing the market for such devices, last month Scosche - a company known for its car audio and iPod/iPhone accessories - released its RDTX-Pro radiation detector and app for iPhone and iPod touch in Japan. With that model apparently flying off the shelves - it is temporarily out of stock on Scosche's website - the company has decided to expand the product line with the announcement of two new radiation detectors.

Some of you might think that it is a useless item, but the Japanese seem to understand it's importance. They are a very intelligent nation and most likely weigh out their options and this device must be affordable, so affordable that it is selling like hotcakes during the economic duress they are experiencing.

With the exception of a stand-alone alarm function and slight reduction in accuracy, the new RDTX offers the same features as the aforementioned RDTX-PRO. It connects to an iPhone or iPod touch via the dock connector and is powered by the connected iDevice. The device requires no calibration and Scosche claims it will accurately detect gamma radiation above 120 keV within +/- 10 percent accuracy - the PRO model offers +/- 5 percent accuracy.

According to the reviews it also seems to be accurate. And there is now a second generation available. You know things are messed up if we need apps that detect radiation on our phones. I live in Canada and am directly in line with the jet stream from Japan and we all know the radiation that they have reported. I can only imagine how bad it really is.

Anyone else going to get this when it comes out in North America or where ever you live? I probably will. We all waste our money on other non sense anyways so I could probably justify this purchase.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Very handy device,depending on the price of course.
Which has not yet been made public.
I would certainly buy one for checking my local area and beaches where I walk my dogs sometimes.
They have dumped some bad nuclear waste off my country's coast over the decades.

Plus if anything more serious happened-like god forbid a nuclear accident or bomb,this could mean the difference between survival and death.

Depends upon the quality and cost of the product though.
Lets hope it cost less than a decent geiger counter.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Your reasoning for wanting one of these seems to be the same as mine. We never know when something will go wrong domestically and it would be nice to have something like this just in case.

And of course there are always the helpless animals who have no idea of the predicament and are at risk because of all the radioactive fall out. Dog owners would certainly make good use of this.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I really think there is a gap in the market for a radiation detector which is affordable for the average income/poor families out there.
A government who truly cared for its people would provide this free for every household.
Why should people have to rely on today's news media/government announcements when we know they are massively inaccurate at best?

But most radiation detectors are costly,over £350/$700.
We need a lower cost but accurate version and today's tech can now provide.
Hopefully this is such tech.
Getting your own equipment,and the knowledge of how to use it is the best way to help your family in such an event.

Better safe than sorry,as I always say.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I can see myself in 10 years from now scanning my food with my mobile phone or maybe tablet before I eat it. Even though I live in Europe, I often wonder how far the contamination will go.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

I'm no expert but I have heard that some parts of Europe are still dealing with the Chernobyl disaster. If that's true, then we are in for a real mess with the Fukushima incident.

I live in Ontario, Canada and we are directly in line with the jet stream from Japan. Word is that it reached the West coast of North America very quickly and the East coast not long after that. I would imagine it eventually made it's way to Europe too, and perhaps other parts of the world.

The stuff is still pouring into the ocean and we all know that once stuff like that gets in the water it eventually evaporates all over the world with ocean and weather currents. I know it is supposed to diffuse but some radioactive substances are very dangerous in microscopic amounts.

This device or something similar will never be a bad idea to invest in.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
My only concerns are that there's a heavy technological requirement for a device to read radiation levels- how effective can an affordable piece of equipment be?

And say for example it starts giving readings of high radiation in your imminent vicinity, then what? *beep beep beep* (female automated voice) You. are. screwed. thankyou. for. detecting. with. Scosche....Your. hair. should. start. falling. out. in. 5...4...3"

Would be handy though, unless they serve a sinister purpose to make us all believe that radiation levels are safe.

top topics

join