It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Member Introduction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Hello everyone. I am honored to have access to this powerful community of minds. Partially I am fearful, I really wished to remain a lurker forever. However I am forced by my own curiousity to join so that I may ask my own questions. Usually my thoughts are ever changing, a long stream of wrong thoughts who, upon being proven wrong, begets a more truthful version of wrong. Truth is the ultimate goal. I feel as if I have pushed myself to the limits of being able to prove myself wrong. Being incapable of proving myself wrong with the resources available to me is a new experience for me. I am not refering to deterministic things like 1+1=2, I know this cannot be proven wrong, rather I refer to something abstract. Why the cosmos does what it does and how it does it. This is the reason I have arrived here. This community is one of the few that is capable of absolute skepticism. It is also the most open to ideas that conflict with the current world paradigm. These attributes are vital to being able to truly prove me wrong. We will either prove me wrong so that I may have a better chance at becoming right, or we will agree (unlikely) and rejoice in the discovery of the most probable truth. Either way is fun and profound for me, and hopefully it will be for you too.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MemeticHarvest

Hi MemeticHarvest, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Try our Ask ATS with the search words of your choice.
I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from to add your thoughts and opinions too.

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Thank you for the newbie information. I appreciate your service to this community, such a fast response makes it feel more alive, even if it was scripted. Hopefully just scripted and not fully automated

I like the mods here. Keeping controversy civil is a massive undertaking.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Welcome newbie, The people here so far have been awesome.
Enjoy a new way to absorb fresh Info and knowledge.

I have learned alot here, and wasted a min or two of my life with
A troll here n there, Watch Out!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hi, and welcome to ATS!

Just to make you aware of the deep thinking that some of our nice members here have..
Let's see the 1+1=2 problem.

1+1 is not all the time 2.

"One and 1 make 2 in the base-10 number system, not in all number systems," Langer notes. She also points out that we must ask, one of what? "Bring it from the level of the abstract to the level of the concrete; see what happens," Langer advises. For instance, 1 cup plus 1 cup does not always equal 2 cups. Mix a cup of vinegar with a cup of a baking soda solution. The result will be less than 2 cups of liquid, as some molecules are transformed into carbon dioxide and released into the air as gas.

The source, for the above.

May you write some nice, thoughtful posts.
See you around!

Best wishes,
Tomten.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Scripted yes, but a real person clicking the mouse button.

Have a great day

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

Welcome to ATS..Hope you enjoy it here...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Maybe it is the newb in me but I am excited to be a part of this awesome community as well. I would waste a whole year reading trollthreads to gain a single minute of truth. The trick is to make trollface yourself while reading the trollthreads. One poster recently wrote "I had more fun reading this by replacing the word 'repent' with 'party like it's 1999'" lol

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

Thank you for your early critique of thoughts. This is a good sign of the electric critical thinking of some of the members here. Really amazing. I must learn how to properly convey meaning with this system of language. I believe adding more qualifiers may help. When I say we know 1+1=2 I mean we know it when we look at it as a complete system within itself. The purely theoretical mathmatical contruct that is wholly comprised of 1+1=2 with no additional variables. Not 1(cup of X) + 1(cup of Y) = 2(cup of XY), or even 1(mole of X) + 1(mole of Y) = 2. Nor am I trying to convey that we know 1+1=2 is even applicable in this reality in which synergy and reproduction exist as to modify the equation into 1+1=3 or 1+1=blue. I am aware of the socratic philosophy of truly knowing nothing for certain. Despite this uncertainty, we all have to cling to anything that we can, desperately trying to say "I do know something!", lest we drown in the seas of uncertainty where we wait for god to make an appearance and say "Let me show you pure, unadulterated truth." I refuse to stand idly by while life trollface dances around saying "What, you don't know why we do what we do? You see only insanity and platitudes? Want me to tell you why you exist? I won't. Lol, you mad bro?"

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Thank you friend. I already enjoy it here. Even before I join I enjoyed it here. I hope now you will enjoy me here. I appreciate your comment and interaction. I don't have alot to say besides that. I am mostly trying achieve my 20 posts so I may start a thread.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Well, hello there. Welcome to the land of failed predictions and armchair physicists.
Enjoy your stay. Plenty of parking in the Grey Section.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Thank you kindly for the welcome. I think there is a reason for all the failed predictions here. Anyone can predict something and it only costs them a bit of time. And if you can get off a couple of good predictions you stand to create traffic to your website. It is kind of like a free to enter lottery. At the very least it lets people feed their ego. I like the armchair physicists, because they provide me with a reader's digest version of things which are hard for me to learn from textbooks. The only problem is sometimes it is digested to the point it becomes feces and only serves to undermine my understanding of complicated issues. The grey area is one of my favorite forums. It's like going to the fiction section of a library and every book you open begins with "I swear this is true, I would have pics but I need money for a camera" This contradictory style of story telling really gets my imagination going. Sometimes I like to pretend a grey thread is true while I'm reading it just to get the juices flowing. Thanks for the free parking.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
*Curtsy*

Welcome from the lurker shadows, fellow noob.

This is hands down the best online community on the net. IMHO You chose wisely.

Be ready to battle. Never a dull moment in this place.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

Thank you for welcoming me. I can reply to you and get closer to 20 posts so I may begin our journey. I am indeed ready for battle, for we were all born into the ongoing war that is life.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I got a newb question that I am sure anyone here can answer. I browsed some of the introductory threads and forums but there is a ton of info there. I get what p f s is, but what is w and k?

top topics

join