It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Problem Is Grads Are Broke & Bored

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
OWS is edgy and wannabe productive, just like every college grad. Corps and govs should feel bad for letting this get this far. People need purpose. You can't tell the youth of the developed world that college is the only hope for advancement and then walk away to leave nations of youth broke, discouraged and intelligent enough to know they're screwed. It's a recipe for disaster.

Corps and govs need the masses. Anyone who thinks they don't should explain below. So, yes, there is a mess but it is so easy to fix.

1) Remove payroll taxes but fine employers who do not report ALL employees.

2) Give special SS# to all illegal immigrants that allow them to pay taxes.

3) Allow illegal immigrants with special SS# to go home and with free possibility to travel back and forth without being shot at. Trust me, a lot of them will go home to see their families, start a small biz there with the $ they got from here and we won't see them again. It will drain our systems less and it will be better for international economies in developing countries that the US has screwed over for years.

4) Establish tax breaks for apprenticeships and internships programs at all companies big and small. Provide citizenship to illegals that have the skills to teach our youth, especially skilled labor skills that US youth no longer have access to.

5) Start a campaign that promotes the attraction of excellence in any field and following your passion. Remove the acclaim for desk jobs vs. working with your hands.

6) legalize drugs and use that $ towards social services for foster kids & children in need in the developed world.

7) give tax breaks to companies that manufacture 33% in the US.

8) energy companies and banks that have offshored their accounts should be required to put 10% of their fines into a fund that pays down student loan debt if the students spend 1 year working for a nonprofit immediately following graduation.

These are not impossible shifts in the system. They would not cause collapse or hardship. They would be positive and beneficial to all. They could be established relatively quickly and would make a huge difference in the lives of the protesters at OWS.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Good, constructive solutions. Of course, you will now be ridiculed and called a communist. If any one of these solutions were actually debated in Congress, I would actually believe we were on the way to being better human beings.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
All very valid and logical solutions. Too bad our government is illogical and probably insane.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by trusername

just thought i'd let you know, i've been a very active part of Occupy Atlanta, and although it's run by students, it's not only students there. there are retired elders, veterans, current students, graduates, employed individuals, parents, and more.. it's not just 'kids with no jobs'.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sounds like a list of demands

and not so much about broke college kids who are board.

I guess making up a fantasy list of demands is very productive..

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Sounds like a list of demands

and not so much about broke college kids who are board.

I guess making up a fantasy list of demands is very productive..

in response to your:

line 1: Tax code is a list of demands. This is a proposal of solutions, which you can add to.

line 2: I think they do target broke college kids, and btw it's bored not board.

line 3: It's a start. I feel it's better than giving up.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by trusername

just thought i'd let you know, i've been a very active part of Occupy Atlanta, and although it's run by students, it's not only students there. there are retired elders, veterans, current students, graduates, employed individuals, parents, and more.. it's not just 'kids with no jobs'.

Same in San Francisco. I see the value in OWS inasmuch as it broadens awareness of the disgruntlement.

I'm suggesting that if we had more jobs for youth, we'd have more funds (unless all directed towards Iraq) for social programs, Social Security, veterans etc. Most employed people and parents don't have the availability to protest in the middle of the day.

The message here in SF is jumbled and free speech at it's purest. The overall impression is frustration.

I feel that it is in corps and gov interest to acknowledge and respond productively for their own sakes.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kanedax
All very valid and logical solutions. Too bad our government is illogical and probably insane.

Yes, if the media is a reflection of our government, it is in bad mental health

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Grads are broke and bored because they got degrees in English and expected to get a high-paying job because they read Shakespeare. Now [insert any liberal arts degree here] and you are qualified for what, exactly? Well, you can go demonstrate on Wall Street, poop on police cars, and urinate in the streets while throwing trash around. That's about it.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Grads are broke and bored because they got degrees in English and expected to get a high-paying job because they read Shakespeare. Now [insert any liberal arts degree here] and you are qualified for what, exactly? Well, you can go demonstrate on Wall Street, poop on police cars, and urinate in the streets while throwing trash around. That's about it.

yeah...right...that's it...you've got the pulse of the 99% ers. they are just a bunch of english lit. grads looking for something to bitch about....you're too stupid to insult, so i'll leave that to someone else

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
OWS isn't just grads, it's everyone from every walk of life.
This is one of the main reasons they're angry.
www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
Good, constructive solutions. Of course, you will now be ridiculed and called a communist. If any one of these solutions were actually debated in Congress, I would actually believe we were on the way to being better human beings.

It would be fun if OWS had a manifesto

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I like your list, but I also think these bored students have some onus on them to do something. College is about exploring your passions and learning to think. Why not create your own job instead of waiting around for someone else to provide one for you? Colleges have shifted their focus in the last decade towards wanting students with passion. Prior to this they wanted the "well-rounded" student. Why do you think this shift happened? Academics saw this economic shift coming. America needs to return to her entrepreneurial roots.

Why be a cog in a machine instead of a unique snowflake?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Grads are given the best in education that a nation could ever provide.

Education does not and never was meant to entail better earning power. Rather, it entails leadership upon the grad over those whom did not get such opportunities.

No doubt a young fresh grad would still have alot to learn in the real world, for it entails pragmatism and not theoratical sciences, all it needs is only a few years in the workforce to grasp what's it all about, compared to those whom had not gotten that far.

Human natures are different in every human. Some are driven by pride, wealth, power, or all 3. Some are not at all.

It is those in the 1st group that will become leaders in the social-political-economic fields of our society. Those in the second group are just plain followers, even if they are PHD engineers or doctors.

In such times, the world needs the 1st group - leaders to create jobs for others, with the education taught. It is a challenge, for it is this very group that is bored and broke. With brains, no one needs to be broke, ever. Opportunities abounds in USA, let alone the world, for in crisis lays opportunities for the entreprenuerial educated minded.

Only thing is, unfortunately, morality and ethics are seldom taught in universities, and as such, redistribution of wealth and leaving none behind are anathemas to the preservation of self, thus the sad state of our current generation's leadership, a blight upon the innocent next generations, a painful price they will pay, looking at the world today if unchanged.

Universities should make LIberal Arts a mandatory degree subject. It is only when we fully comprehend our past - its acheivements, its struggles, thoughts, aims, results, mistakes, succcesses by every human ancestor that lived will we be able to progress forward.

Unfortunately, such is not taught to all grads. But nevertheless, education does not and never ends with the degree. It is only the beginning, to develope one's mind further than the specific subject one learnt in schools, so that each may progress even further the evolution of human race.

Good Luck to the grads. It aint the end. It's only the beginning, and change begins with you and me. The power is in our hands, when combined as a society, to do what is right not only for ourselves, but for our next generations as well.

edit on 12-10-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My daughter is a grad, with two bachelors degree in biology and stem cell research, she works in a bank making barely a dollar over minium wages, why? because she can not get a job in her field and to get a grant for reserach she has to compete with foreign students from India and Pakistan and they get priority, that is what has become of the great USA where the dream is for everybody as long as you are not an America born

The reality of jobs in the US.

America the land of the growing working poor with degree or not degree

While supposedly the recession has ended as by the media and government propaganda, the American household income has decreased an incredible, 9.5 percent in the two last years, now the propagandist will tell you that the economy is growing, what they don't tell you is that is growing for companies profits, this means decreased salaries, cuts in work force and outsourcing.

Yes the markets are booming for those that has nothing to do with the main street working class.

The full 9.8 percent drop in income from the start of the recession to this June — the most recent month in the study — appears to be the largest in several decades, according to other Census Bureau data. Gordon W. Green Jr., who wrote the report with John F. Coder, called the decline “a significant reduction in the American standard of living.”

Our nation is going backwards when it comes to the standards of living this is the legacy our educated students full of debt to their neck by loans thanks to the profiting from banksters are getting, but our cost of living keeps growing.

One reason pay has stagnated is that many people who lost their jobs in the recession — and remained out of work for months — have taken pay cuts in order to be hired again. In a separate study, Henry S. Farber, an economics professor at Princeton, found that people who lost jobs in the recession and later found work again made an average of 17.5 percent less than they had in their old jobs.

Now we know why is not jobs in this nation for the young and those that are getting their jobs back after the 2008 market crash are taking the jobs with a cut and expect to keep paying into the raising cost of living

www.msnbc.msn.com...

If we do not raise up and hold the policies maker and entities resposible for the downfall of our nations economy and standards of living the future of our grandchildren will be worst than the one our children has to face today.

Wake up America, this is not a joke or propaganda.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
How about dropping the Corporate Tax Rate to 0%, remove the Income Tax, remove the Inheritence Tax and start a National Sales Tax at approximately 22%. The Sales Tax replaces the Income Tax and Social Security totally. The first $20,000 of income is exempt from the Sales Tax. You would get a check back each month for the exemption.
This would accomplish almost everything except for #6.

top topics

join