It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people whp see apparitions and hears voices considered bonkers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I dont hear voices and have never seen a ghost etc... But the only reason I can see why people who see and hear such things are considered bonkers is because mainstream tv would have us believe this to be the case. If peoples conciousnesses ring or leave traces through space then I see no reason whatsoever for certain sensitive individuals picking up on these?

Opinions?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Hi,

well, some just lie about it for attention and/or money, some are as mad a hatstand and the rest..............well the rest could be telling the truth. Reality ís always stranger than fiction and there is more to this universe than we can possibly imagine.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The symptoms can be from a chemical, biological, mental deficit, or the person can be a medium, psychic or sensitive.

Why are some writing best selling books and doing TV and radio programs while others sit alone being force fed anti-psychotic drugs to keep them down?

edit on 12-10-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Everyone I've ever met that's claimed to have experience seeing ghosts, spirits, and other such, and are usually quite happy to volunteer such information like it's just matter of fact without prompting or evening being remotely close to such a subject, often exhibit many other classic indicators of woo-woo craziness.

Granted their experiences could have made them this way because they were soft in the head to begin with, or, because they are indeed soft in the head, they have these schizophrenic episodes and are at least functional enough on or off medication that they're not too much of a threat to themselves or others such that they can mostly conduct themselves in public civil society.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
i investergate the paranormal and get laughed at by people and they sing "ghostbusters" to me, lol

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Unfortunately that Television is the major part of the problem. It's that people believe everything that they are told on Television which in itself is crazy and why we have such and abundance of ignorance in this country.

Don't get me wrong, psychological problems and manifestations DO exist but on the other hand our perceptive limits of our eyes and ears are limited.

This is proven scientifically that we can only see and hear within certain frequency ranges and our brains respond better to some frequencies better than others.

The emergency "Pull UP" chime message in fighter aircraft purposely uses a Female voice because the Male Brain responds better to those frequencies....And if the pilot has passed out due to G Force loading, He responds better to the Female voice called "Bitchin' Betty" to pull out of a fatal dive.

Not all people experience seeing apparitions or see/hear ghosts for the same reason we aren't all NFL/NHL professional athletes. And also why we can't see radio waves going into our cell phones either.

Plain and Simple.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
I dont hear voices and have never seen a ghost etc... But the only reason I can see why people who see and hear such things are considered bonkers is because mainstream tv would have us believe this to be the case.

I guess everything is a matter of degree. Plenty of people hear voices. Some hear them more than others, and for some people there are perceptual delusions that go along with that, and ethereal or chemical these can be really distracting; and sometimes contribute to "disorganized thinking" that results in predictably disorganized communication.

Now when someone is interacting with his/her environment in ways that are seemingly chaotic and unproductive this is shunned by the group as counter-productive to the survival of that group. Hence the negative stigma. That is of course, assuming something of the worse-case scenario. The less an individual is able to interact and function within certain parameters the "crazier" they are, and much of that is defined by how well they communicate. So there is a spectrum of behavior associated with this, but the current societally understood common denominator is "hearing voices', and current media influence has a great deal to do with that. So hearing voices = insane.

Originally posted by TheMindWarIf peoples conciousnesses ring or leave traces through space then I see no reason whatsoever for certain sensitive individuals picking up on these?

Opinions?

Oh I don't know, I suppose you're right there is no reason why not. I do hear voices, and I wonder about that sometimes, but mostly, I ignore them and get on with my life. They may be auditory hallucinations or something more ethereal. What I know is that they are anomalous to my reality; no one else perceives them and they seem to have no visceral effect. I must acknowledge that if they spoke English this might be different however; the whole situation could be far more distracting.

When I was little I remember hearing them. I thought they came from my closet. My mother told me that I had told her that "The Ancestors" live in the closet and talk to me, but I don't remember telling her that. Visual and auditory hallucinations/anomalous perceptions/whatever-they-are seem to run in the female line of my family however, which causes me to lean toward some sort of inheritable bio-chemical cause.

My two cents as one of those 'crazy' people who hears voices.
edit on 12-10-2011 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2011 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Because there are widely accepted theories that these experiences (like dreams) are directly influenced by your belief system.............................

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I dont hear voices and have never seen a ghost etc... But the only reason I can see why people who see and hear such things are considered bonkers is because mainstream tv would have us believe this to be the case. If peoples conciousnesses ring or leave traces through space then I see no reason whatsoever for certain sensitive individuals picking up on these?

Opinions?

Because most of them are like for example those who have schizophrenia with voices. They dont only hear voices, but it also affects their ability to separate things from reality.
If you have ever known a several affected person in real life, you would know that such disorders are real and not something made up by tv or doctors.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have to dispute you on that, juleol. Many people, including myself, see the dead Spirits of people who were alive before. Does that make us all schizophrenic, or mentally ill across the board? I was seeing, and talking to dead people before we even got a TV, and even then, in 1965, there were three channels, and not a lot on, nothing like today's 3000 satellite channels from all over the world. I am not alone either, both my children, now adults, also see the dead.

The real "reality" is that some can do, see, and hear what others cannot. That is no reason to label people with a mental illness.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I would say because schizophrenia and being sensitive look a whole lot alike on paper. My father and I both were sensitive, him more so than me. It was understood in the family that he saw spirits. I saw them too, sometimes we saw them together. It was not until he sought out psychiatric help for it that he was labelled schizophrenic and then consequently doped up on so much medication that he did not even resemble himself anymore.

Think about it. If you go to a psychiatrist, and tell them that you have contact with spirits, what is going to happen? They can diagnose you about a million ways, but I guarantee you that seeing or hearing anything that doesn't exist to most other people will guarantee you some label of schizophrenia, if not a trip to the mental institution as well.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
In my understanding people who have apparitions of aliens, "shadow people" and so on are considered bonkers because these occurrences, because of their nature, the way they happen, are considered impossible in the popular materialistic, scientific, rationalist-reductionist paradigm. And psychologists have developed these absurd catch-all terms like "schizophrenia" to describe a wide array of phenomena they have just about NO grasp upon.

As far as my experience has shown me how reality works I can tell beyond a shadow of a doubt that there ARE aliens and spirits. They are very real and tangible, but they exist in a realm with which we have long lost any coherent dialog. But this is going to change soon - gradually. This is the idea of the "transformation". We are going, in a sense, into a spiritual renaissance. So you can damn well expect even more UFO sightings and personal testimonies of encounters of strange beings - be it aliens, spirits, angels or whatever. Some time ago I watched a disgusting video of some kind of psychologist on a TV show talking about conspiracy theorists as some kind of mentally disturbed people and how this was some kind of mass psychosis.

Don't let popular opinion mess with your mind. Forget culture and trust your personal experience and don't be afraid to seek and explore the weird.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
look up : anti psychiatry movement

Madness is a social construct, designed to label those which deviate from the perceptual norm as harmful or dangerous.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthIncarnate

Others who have not seen with there own eyes chances are wont believe...I know

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It's always been my opinion that folks with unusual sensitivities are labeled such because most "normal" people don't have a frame of personal reference to understand such phenomenon.

It's different - therefore most people react with either fear, or genuine curiousity...most people, unfortunately, react negatively because different and unusual automatically equals "scary" and "bad".

Granted, I may be biased as I'm one of those who DO hear/see things that aren't there (I have schizoaffective diagnosis) but I also go to great pains to understand what might be happening in the inner workings of my brain when such things manifest themselves....(recent studies indicate it may be nothing more than minor epileptic seizures in the occtipial lobe that causes visual hallucinations).

( As far as the voices go, there are so many theories I've gone through to try to explain them - everything from psychotronic warfare, to ancestral/familial telepathy, to just plain old talking to one's self. )

I'll have to agree that the mainstream media/movie industry doesn't always do the best job of promoting a tolerant view of persons with these conditions, nor do they always offer a sane and rational association for such phenomena.....mostly it's along the vein of criminal psychosis, paranormal activity, etc...which just reinforces not only the "sane" perception of such matters to be slanted towards the negative - but also gives a very limited and non-scientific associations for those who experience such things personally.

I tend to side with the belief that some people are just more sensitive than others and there is nothing to be concerned about unless that person insists on sliding into fantastical explanations to the point they themselves become part of the fearful populace and a danger to themselves or others.

edit on 10/12/11 by GENERAL EYES because: big brother demands spellcheck

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

The majority are scared of things that are different and unique and are jealous.

2nd

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
i investergate the paranormal and get laughed at by people and they sing "ghostbusters" to me, lol
I could a few things but then I would be crazy right,story of my life. Peace

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by falseveils
In my understanding people who have apparitions of aliens, "shadow people" and so on are considered bonkers because these occurrences, because of their nature, the way they happen, are considered impossible in the popular materialistic, scientific, rationalist-reductionist paradigm. And psychologists have developed these absurd catch-all terms like "schizophrenia" to describe a wide array of phenomena they have just about NO grasp upon.

Oh for the love of all that is holy. Educate yourself on the subject please, also please please review this article also. Note the last article is from 2002, and things most definately changed in almost 10 years, please complete your own research on the field, and please do NOT self diagnose

This is NOT a flaming "catch-all" method of diagnosing psychosis. Psychosis can manifest itself in a number of different ways from Full Blown Hallucinations to the simple and straight forward compulsions. Just because you have seen the spirit/ghost/etherial being, does not mean you are suffering from any latent form of Psychosis and should be medicated.

In fact, a real psychologist will wont and will ever use it as a catch-all for psychosis. Before you make that statement ever again, i suggest you go and meet some people who suffer from this vicious disease, volenteer and talk to them, you will quickly realize your statement is highly inaccurate.

The human mind is a VERY complex machine, your sub-concious interacts with the concious, it's quite possible that the image you are seeing is indeed in your mind, say of a lost loved one. But scientifically it is also possible for beings to exist in an enegetic state (lack of evidence does not prove a theory, and as far as im aware no one has scientifically proven ghosts or enegy beings exist or not).

Sure some people will think your wheels are a little loose, or completely fallen off, where as probably the vast general public will either think you are a loon (depending on the 'message') or just shrug it off.

For the record: I do NOT hear voices, and i do NOT see things that others do not. This is my reality, not yours
, think about it.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
brain

noise

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I dont hear voices and have never seen a ghost etc... But the only reason I can see why people who see and hear such things are considered bonkers is because mainstream tv would have us believe this to be the case.

Mainstream TV frequently suggests that ghosts are real and that people who see them are not crazy. It is the scientific literature that suggests ghosts do not exist, and provides natural explanations for alleged ghost phenomena.

If peoples conciousnesses ring or leave traces through space

There's no evidence this happens, nor any theory explaining how it could happen, or if it did happen, how that phenomenon could cause sensory impressions in living people.

then I see no reason whatsoever for certain sensitive individuals picking up on these?

There's no evidence that there are sensitive individuals, nor any theoretical description of what makes them sensitive, what they're sensing, or how they're sensing it. There is a lot of evidence for hallucinations, delusions, and self-deception.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join