It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confused? This new aircraft is a UFO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This aircraft looks extremely cool and will absolutely add to UFO sitings. Though I suspect the sound it gives off should clue-in most folks that is not the typical UFO sited.

The U.S. Navy achieved a new landmark in advanced aviation today with the successful testing of its X-47B unmanned aircraft. Developed by Northrop Grumman, the X-47B was commissioned to take-off and land onto moving aircraft carriers while out at sea. The design of the unmanned aircraft has a very futuristic feel to it, reminiscent of a UFO — which among many things should help account for an increase in alleged UFO sightings

Source with more pics and info: www.digitaltrends.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
looks like some type of Stealth drone with out the black paint ?

I suspect the sound it gives off should clue-in most folks that is not the typical UFO sited.

how do you know what it sounds like

edit on 10/12/2011 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Very cool video below, there is sounds at the end and it sounds like a jet, but maybe that's the other aircraft in the air with it. Still searching for good audio.

Very good detail and visuals in this video where an engineer talks about it needing refueling to stay aloft indefinitely... so no advanced energy source on it. (The sounds on this video appear added for effect).

edit on 12-10-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I want to see where the plans for such a design came from personally. I agree that it will increase the reported UFO sightings, but is this a chicken versus egg question? Are UFO sightings increasing from the launching of this aircraft or was this aircraft designed from increased sightings of UFOs?

Personally, I believe there is life somewhere out there I just don't see any reason for life to have interest in our little piece of the universe.

This is one of those designs that people will argue had to be created based on a UFO, but since humans have created the images we recognize as UFOs, you will never know which happened first. Cool design, though.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
"spy in the Sky"
who they kidding..more like
Assassin in the Sky

kinda makes ya think ...
if they're willing to show this new tech off

what else do they have that we don't get to see ?

and who do they want to see this

China

Pakistan

Iran

Korea

look what we got

edit on 10/12/2011 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Agree. What else do we have and why is it public for who to see. So the real news today is this aircraft successfully launched and landed on a moving aircraft carrier, which means it can now strike most anywhere in the world when deployed.

The drone itself was announced this past Feb.

As for strike capabilities, best I could find for a visual is this pic:

Northrop Grumman X-47B First Flight - US Navy Unmanned Combat Air System Demonstration

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif., Feb. 4, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, the Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC - News)-built U.S. Navy X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System Demonstration (UCAS-D) aircraft successfully completed its historic first flight at Edwards Air Force Base (AFB), Calif.

Conducted by a U.S. Navy/Northrop Grumman test team, the flight took off at 2:09 p.m. PST and lasted 29 minutes. This event marks a critical step in the program, moving the team forward to meet the demonstration objectives of a tailless fighter-sized unmanned aircraft to safely take off from and land on the deck of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier.

A social media version of this release that includes photos, video clips, and additional quotes and background material, is available at www.irconnect.com...

"First flight represents the compilation of numerous tests to validate the airworthiness of the aircraft, and the robustness and reliability of the software that allows it to operate as an autonomous system and eventually have the ability to take-off and land aboard an aircraft carrier," said Capt. Jaime Engdahl, the Navy's UCAS-D program manager.

Northrop Grumman is the Navy's UCAS-D prime contractor and leader of the UCAS-D industry team.

"Designing a tailless, fighter-sized unmanned aircraft from a clean sheet is no small feat," said Janis Pamiljans, vice president and UCAS-D program manager for Northrop Grumman's Aerospace Systems sector. "Commitment, collaboration and uncompromising technical excellence among the Navy, Northrop Grumman and the UCAS-D team industry partners made today's flight a reality. We are indeed honored to have given wings to the Navy's vision for exploring unmanned carrier aviation."

Taking off under hazy skies, the X-47B climbed to an altitude of 5,000 feet, flew several racetrack-type patterns, and landed safely at 2:38 p.m. PST. The flight provided test data to verify and validate system software for guidance and navigation, and the aerodynamic control of the tailless design.

As with all test programs, first flight represents the culmination, verification and certification of pre-flight system data collected and analyzed by both the Navy and Northrop Grumman. Airframe proof load tests, propulsion system accelerated mission tests, software maturity and reliability simulations, full system taxi tests, and numerous other system test activities were all completed and certified prior to first flight.

The aircraft will remain at Edwards AFB for flight envelope expansion before transitioning to Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., later this year. There, the system will undergo additional tests to validate its readiness to begin testing in the maritime and carrier environment. The UCAS-D program is preparing the X-47B for carrier trials in 2013.

The Navy awarded the UCAS-D prime contract to Northrop Grumman in August 2007. The six-year contract calls for the development of two X-47B fighter-sized aircraft. The program will demonstrate the first-ever carrier launches and recoveries by an autonomous, unmanned aircraft with a low-observable-relevant planform. Autonomous aerial refueling will also be performed after carrier integration and at-sea trials.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

It will add to sighting reports, but this IS back enginearing or a ARV "Alien Reproduction Vehicle", next they will have people thinking UFOS are ALL millitary vehicles that have been kept secret.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The only angle at which it looks like the classic flying saucer is in the picture posted in the OP.....

You'd have to be flying next to this thing to ever see it from such an angle....

From below, where most human beings would be situated, it looks like a plane...

A cool plane, but a plane none the less....

I think most of us are used to the shape of stealth aircraft by now....This design has been around since the 90's at least.....

THEN AGAIN, while most people would know what they're looking at, there are bound to be those who's imagination turns everything they see into the proverbial tootsie roll....

After all, there are half a dozen (or more) threads started every week here on ATS claiming "PROOF!! UFO"....or "GLOWING ORB!!", when to most of us, it's plain to see (no pun intended), they're just planes...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
So it could confuse other pilots, but I think even if viewed from the bottom up people will still scratch their head... from that angle it may be reported as the classic triangle UFO.

I too think a lot of what people report are planes, but then again as above posters mention: chicken or the egg in this scenario (past scenarios too)?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

It's not a UFO, its a X-47B. A UFO is a Unidentified Flying Object!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

A future UFO to some...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Nice UAV, but.......How many surveillance drones does the US need?

Obviously NOT a super duper high tech craft......Or they wouldnt release info about it.

Perhaps these are just decoys, to divert attention away from the Real hi tech (eg triangles).

It took at least 5 or 6 years before anyone really knew the SR71 existed, certainly any released photos of it.

And the F114 Stealth was around in the early 80s but didnt "Appear" until the 1990 gulf war.

I watched a doco on Danish Soldiers in Afghanistan recently, and they used remote control "Model Aircraft" with wingspans of 4' or so, and conventional model petrol prop engines, fitted with remote mini cams and these were quite effective in spying on the enemy...with great accuracy.
Probably difficult to shoot out the sky too, as the footprint would be small, and undetectable by radar, or heat seekers...ie not enough heat generated.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

This makes no sense.

What is a future UFO?

Still respect for the OP.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This has been posted and threads created with pictures and specs about this since 2006. Not really anything new...sorry. I even think there have been MSM news stories about it as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The search feature of this site is our friend.

edit on 10/12/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/12/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Yes, my son showed me a picture of this baby the other day, and we had exactly the same thoughts as you do on it; that it is going to cause a whole lot more UFO sighting cases. Not that I think there is no such thing as UFO's, I honestly can't decide either way, I reckon there could be, but I do think most of them are our own.

We like to keep up to date with new developments though, (whether they are reverse engineered or not is of little consequence) just so we don't fall for the same trap
Thanks for posting this. I think everybody should stay clued up on these new aircraft, so they don't make a mistake regarding them, thinking they're UFO related
Good job

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Oh and what is the speed it travels with? Even Stealth and such fly like planes, does this do chaotic motion in the air? When I see even a non-airplane, non-satellite objects and they travel in straight direction or any direction that can be done by military fighter or such, I think not a UFO
edit on 12-10-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

A future UFO is one that has yet to confuse people.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneEleven
The only angle at which it looks like the classic flying saucer is in the picture posted in the OP.....

You'd have to be flying next to this thing to ever see it from such an angle....

From below, where most human beings would be situated, it looks like a plane...

A cool plane, but a plane none the less....

I think most of us are used to the shape of stealth aircraft by now....This design has been around since the 90's at least.....

THEN AGAIN, while most people would know what they're looking at, there are bound to be those who's imagination turns everything they see into the proverbial tootsie roll....

After all, there are half a dozen (or more) threads started every week here on ATS claiming "PROOF!! UFO"....or "GLOWING ORB!!", when to most of us, it's plain to see (no pun intended), they're just planes...

I have to agree. Any light in the sky has the potential to create UFO reports. People seem especially awestruck by the most mundane: stars, aircraft landing lights, and the ever "awe inspiring" chinese lanterns.

So each and every new aircraft and new drone is going to generate UFO reports.

As far as "looking like a UFO", well it does look a little futuristic from the side, but it also looks like the stealth fighter, which isn't that out of the ordinary anymore.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
You can't believe until you see them with your own eyes.....no matter what they all tell you after you will always know inside you that there is something more, something that can't be hidden forever!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Nice UAV, but.......How many surveillance drones does the US need?

As stated on Space.com theres no reason that it cannot be armed in the future and with the prospect of mid air refueling and being carrier launched it could be capable of a strike anywhere in the world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join