It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The House Of Lords is Voting On The Health and Social Care Bill - Lords, please save the NHS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

House Of Lords is Voting On The Health and Social Care Bill

www.guardian.co.uk

The House of Lords is due to vote today on two amendments that could wreck the government's controversial health and social care bill.

Lord Rea has tabled an amendment that would deny the bill a second reading. Rea said in the Lords yesterday that the plans had not been in either the Lib Dem or Tory manifestos, or the coalition agreement, so peers ought to oppose them.

And Lords Owen and Hennessy have tabled an amendment that would kick the bill into a special select committee
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 12-10-2011 by doubleplusungood because: changed title

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The coalition government came to power with the promise of no cuts to the NHS. This bill opens the door to privitisation within the NHS and removes the secretary of state's duty of care to the English people.

The bill has been passed in the house of commons and needs to be passed in the House of Lords to be made into law.

The House is voting now......

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Well, the first amendment has failed.

The second amendment is being voted on. This would force the bill through a select committee procedure for more scrutiny.

Hopefully this will go through.

Save the NHS!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Call Hillary Clinton. Tell her to send you lawyers, guns and money!!! The Sht has hit the fan.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The big problem is the NHS is not fit for purpose and hasn't been for a long time, there are plenty of abuses of it by all and sundry. As far as i'm concerned it needs to be re-done from the bottom up, all of this useless tinkering does absolutley nothing for the benefit of it, but due to the emotive nature of what it is no one wants to stand there and say its 'cattle trucked lets start this over again'.
Ban health tourists from it for a start, easy done do you have a N.I. if yes you get seen, if not do you have a credit card, if yes you get seen, if not truck off and find someone to pay for it for you.

There is a reason that the UK has the highest rate of HIV in europe and its climbing, and you can bet that most of those increases are from..ahem..abroad.

The NHS is not the greatest health service in the world, but abuses by everyone do not help.

So stop tinkering and rebuild it properly

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
If this goes through. It ill be the end of the NHS as the UK knows it. Companies will come in and put profit before their patients. I have friends who work in the NHS, they can see this far off, Nursing will go down the tubes, if this is passed through the House of Lords. I can only hope they reject this. Send it through a select committee and refuse to accept these proposals.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Any word?

And i think its pathetic that the HoL still exists, its completely out dated and very undemocratic, i thought the point of there being an unwritten constitution in the UK was to that the government could be organic and evolve, yet, their attempts to "Reform " the HoL have just been small tokens to appease the masses.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I love the NHS, and it has helped me and my family and many others immensely, but it has now gotten too big, lumbersome and fragmented. It needs radical restructuring and a major reduction in the number of managers. Put the hospitals back in the hands of doctors and nurses instead of accountants.

It also needs reprioritising, get back to the basics of providing treatment and care for those who are ill or injured, instead of denying people life enhancing drugs and treatments on the grounds of cost, whilst continuing to provide free cosmetic surgury or IVF treatment.

I oppose almost anything done by a Tory (ooo saying that word makes me feel so dirty), and I certainly don't want to see their greedy grubby hands on the health service. I'd prefer it as it is to what they'd leave us with. All the working class can keel over and die for all the Tories care.

edit on 13-10-2011 by LPWilletts because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

It has been passed through the house of lords. This is a sad day for the NHS in the UK, ,Mind you it doesnt hel when the Government controlled media go along with the decision now does it.

But others had stated this is not the end, the fight will continue.

new topics

top topics

join