It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world’s most Amazing Phenomena's

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+103 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Seeing as im on a roll (figuratively speaking) I decided to add another to the world’s most…….. Collection

Here are the first 2:
Clips & Pictures of the worlds weirdest creatures
Some of the world’s most Alien & Beautiful Landscapes

This one is The world’s most Amazing Phenomena, this is to show that in a way not everything is as alien as you think and also to show just how powerful mother nature truly is.

Of course the first has to be:

Aurora Borealis Aka The Northern Lights

A truly spectacular sight to say the least, and one phenomena that has people flock from all over the world to see. This is caused when high energy ions travel out to space at fast speeds of 300 to 1200 kilometers per second
As the solar wind interacts with the edge of the earth’s magnetic field, some of the particles are trapped by it and they follow the lines of magnetic force down into the ionosphere, the section of the earth’s atmosphere that extends from about 60 to 600 kilometers above the earth’s surface.

Mammatus Clouds – Bumpy Clouds

This is something I do find amazing and kinda creepy at the same time, Priarily made from ice these clouds can extend for hundreds of miles in each direction, individual formations can remain visibly static for ten to fifteen minutes at a time. These are normally an indication that a storm is a brewing.

Red Tides

Although it looks like a sea of blood this is actually caused by a high concentration of algae that accumulate rather rapidly. While some of these can be relatively harmless, others can be harbingers of deadly toxins that cause the deaths of fish, birds and marine mammals. In some cases, even humans have been harmed by red tides though no human exposure are known to have been fatal.

Super Cells

Supercell is the name given to a continuously rotating updraft deep within a severe thunderstorm (a mesocyclone) and looks downright scary. They are usually isolated storms, which can last for hours, and sometimes can split in two, with one storm going to the left of the wind and one to the right. They can spout huge amounts of hail, rain and wind and are often responsible for tornados, though they can also occur without tornados

Fire Whirls

A fire whirl, also known as fire devil or fire tornado, is a rare phenomenon in which a fire, under certain conditions --depending on air temperature and currents--, acquires a vertical vorticity and forms a whirl, or a tornado-like effect of a vertically oriented rotating column of air.

Gravity Waves

Gravity Wave is caused by air displaced in the vertical plain, usually as a result of updrafts coming off the mountains or during thunderstorms. A wave pattern will only be generated when the updraft air is forced into a stable air pocket.

Moon bows

Moon Bows are extremely rare, and can only be seen at night when the mood is low and either full or almost full.

Noctilucent Clouds

Noctilucent clouds are atmospherically high clouds that refract light at dusk when the Sun has already set, illuminating the sky with no seeming light source.

Non-aqueous Rain

Iv heard of this one many times over the years, its basically when it rains animals instead of water i.e fish, toads, birds etc , its meant to be rare but it does happen. Meteorologists are still unsure of the cause.

The Fire Rainbow

A fire rainbow is an extremely rare phenomenon that occurs only when the sun is high allowing its light to pass through high-altitude cirrus clouds with a high content of ice crystals.

The Green Ray or green Flash

Pretty freaky looking if you saw it, It is something that happens all be it briefly before a total sunset or sunrise.

Ball Lightning

This is a very rare phenomenon that involves ball-shaped lightning that moves much slower than normal lightning. It has been reported to be as large as eight feet in diameter and can cause great damage.

Sprites, Jets, and Elves

Another very rare phenomina and one that was only discovered last century, as it is something that lasts only a second!!
These occur in the upper atmosphere in the regions around thunderstorms. They appear as cones, glows and discharges.

Sun Dogs

Sun dogs are atmospheric phenomena of the caused by the refraction of sunlight through ice crystals Such as those hosted in cirrus clouds

Penitentes

Natural phenomena that happen only in places between Chile and Argentina. It's a phenomena of snow in the high surface that pointed. It's caused by strong wind in the Andes mountains.

THE MAELSTROM

A maelstom is basically a very big and powerful whirlpool, a free vortex; a free vortex with quite a downdraft. The original maelstrom was Moskstraumen, which is caused by a very powerful tidal current.

Venezuela's Everlasting Storm

The mysterious "Relámpago del Catatumbo" (Catatumbo lightning) is aunique natural phenomenon in the world. Located on the mouth of the Catatumbo river at Lake Maracaibo (Venezuela), the phenomenon is a cloud-to-cloud lightning that forms a voltage arc more than five kilometre high during 140 to 160 nights a year, 10 hours a night, and as many as 280 times an hour. This almost permanent storm occurs over the marshlands where the Catatumbo River feeds into Lake Maracaibo and it is considered the greatest single generator of ozone in the planet

Light Pillars

Light pillars appear as eerily upright luminous columns in the sky, beacons cast into the air above without an apparent source. These are visible when light reflects just right off of ice crystals from either the sun (as in the two top images above) or from artificial ground sources such as street or park lights. Despite their appearance as near-solid columns of light, the effect is entirely created by our own relative viewpoint.

Colored Moons

Something I think we have all seen before, a red moon, blue moon etc and how eerie they are! When the moon appears lower on the horizon, rays of light bouncing off it have to pass through a great deal more of our atmosophere which slowly strips away everything but yellows, oranges and reds.

Well that concludes the OP, and it truly is amazing how mysterious and wonderful mother nature can be. As always add your own if you find any

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Another great post.
ThankYou.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Awesome thread, and yes the world is amazing with all the wonders that we may never fully understand.

2nd

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
That super cell is pretty scary.
The first one.

Cool Photos
Thanks

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Great thread/s!! I have really enjoyed them.

I'm not sure if this fits in here, but one of my favorites is synchronized fireflies.

For two weeks every June, busloads of visitors gather in the Smoky Mountains for a sight that scientists once believed to be impossible: thousands of fireflies blinking in near-perfect unison, like strings of Christmas lights in the night air.

"From the right angle, you can see an entire hillside flashing together," said Andrew Moiseff, a biologist at the University of Connecticut in Storrs. "It's one of those things that just makes you go 'wow.' "

Researchers have long debated why these male Photinus carolinus fireflies work together to put on such a spectacular show, rarely seen outside of Southeast Asia.
knoxnews.com

OiO

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
The first one.

Cool Photos
Thanks

That photo is a mirror image split right down the middle. look at the cloud formations on one side and then compare to the other side. They are identical.

Awsome pictures and videos. 2 BIG thumbs up

I love this planet. I wish I had the time and the money to experience all these natural wonders.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan

Originally posted by Manhater
The first one.

Cool Photos
Thanks

That photo is a mirror image split right down the middle. look at the cloud formations on one side and then compare to the other side. They are identical.

Awsome pictures and videos. 2 BIG thumbs up

I love this planet. I wish I had the time and the money to experience all these natural wonders.

I knew that!

HAHA

not....

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia
The Fire Rainbow

A fire rainbow is an extremely rare phenomenon that occurs only when the sun is high allowing its light to pass through high-altitude cirrus clouds with a high content of ice crystals.

It's NOT a "fire rainbow".

** 'Fire rainbow' - This ridiculous and unrecognised name appears to have been coined by a journalist after the great 2006 Spokane display. The halo is not a rainbow and has nothing to do with fire.

Source

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Have seen the lightning bugs in the heavily forested Shenendoah Mountain region all blinking in unison, patterns and sequences its better than Christmas.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Noctilucent Clouds are very interesting phenomena. No one really knows how they work, but it seems that they first appeared after Krakatoa eruption in 1883 and have after that colored our nightly skies. They appear to be composed of tiny ice particles, but connection to Krakatoa eruption is still a mystery. Maybe just people looked sunsets more after that eruption, and noticed the clouds.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Great "World's Most" thread... I particularly like the Booby Clouds. Anything that makes me think of boobs gets a star and flag from me.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Great pictures, but when I saw the Mammatus Clouds – Bumpy Clouds, I couldn't help but have a chuckle because I was thinking they should rename them mammary clouds.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Thanks for the post! I love these pictures and didn't know about many of these occurrances. We had some northern lights here recently and they were pretty neat to see.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
B-e-a-utiful pictures, thanks for posting!

If you could, please post several hundred more as I'd rather look at these instead of the tosh that's on tv. Thanks.

S&F

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Another awesome post!
Keep em coming..

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Excellent pictures and a well put together thread, we are only just starting to understand our planet & the wonders and dangers it holds.

S&F to you again, I have saved this page to show some of my friends & we will probably end up on youtube watching them.

All the best & thanks.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Awesome thread...

And talking about manner from heaven...are those fish edible???

That should do for a phenomenal dish, would you think.

Peace

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Its amazing the beautiful things this planet has to offer. Too bad the corporations enjoy sucking things like this dry and destroying them. great thread tho, whered you get your pics from?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I lived in upper MI when I was young and I remember my parents waking me up to see the northern lights. They truly are breathtaking.

But the raining animals creeps me out, how could you not freak if you're walking down the street and it starts raining fish or something?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Awesome! Thanks for sharing

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join