It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Documents Three-Year Trek on Mars by NASA Rover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
NASA has released a video with photos and original sound that is recorded by a robot rover Opportunity during the three-year voyage on the surface of Mars ..

So far an incredible experience driving on Mars may be partly to experience all that they want to ..

From now on Mars you can experience an entirely new way. Specifically, NASA has released a video that is made of 309 photos and includes an original sound that is recorded Rover Opportunity during the three years 'voyage' by Mars.

The recordings were made ​​in the period since 2008. and 2011. year, and it is about 21 kilometers long road, which is covered NASA's Opportunity.

A new video compiles these 309 images, providing an historic record of the three-year trek that totaled about 13 miles (21 kilometers) across a Martian plain pocked with smaller craters.

The rover team also produced a sound track for the video, using each drive day's data from Opportunity's accelerometers. The low-frequency data has been sped up 1,000 times to yield audible frequencies.
"The sound represents the vibrations of the rover while moving on the surface of Mars," said Paolo Bellutta, a rover planner at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., who has plotted many of Opportunity's drives and coordinated production of the video. "When the sound is louder, the rover was moving on bedrock. When the sound is softer, the rover was moving on sand."

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Scientists may have found evidence of liquid water on the soil of Mars. The published photos are incredible and you can see some kind of dark marks that stretch from the craters New Newton in the south of Mars.

The published photographs are the result of research jointly conducted by American and Swiss scientists.

"We found a number of phenomena that indicate the existence of liquid water on Mars," said Michael Meyer, head of research at the press conference that was broadcast NASA.

Since Mars has a cold climate because of the poor atmosphere, it is assumed that water could be salty, but this study has not been confirmed.

"For now it remains a mystery, and I believe that we will shed light on the new research," he told the magazine Science lfred McEwen, a member of the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory at the University of Arizona.

Recorded phenomena occur near the equator of Mars, on its southern hemisphere where temperatures are high enough for the existence of liquid water. Since Mars is more than 80 million kilometers from the sun than Earth, scientists have previously thought that the water on Mars can only exist as ice at the poles and to the planet.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Salty water
"The best explanation we have for these observations so far is flow of briny water, although this study does not prove that," said planetary geologist and lead author Professor Alfred McEwen of the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, University of Arizona.
Saltiness lowers the temperature at which water freezes, and water about as salty as Earth's oceans could exist at these sites in summer.
"This could be the first flowing water," said Professor McEwen. This has profound implications in the search for extraterrestrial life. "Liquid water is absolutely essential for life, and we've found life on Earth in pretty much every moist niche," said Dr Lewis Dartnell, astrobiologist at University College London, who was not involved in the study.
"So perhaps there could be hardy microbes surviving in these short periods of summer meltwater on the desert surface of Mars."

Other related Threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12-10-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This seems like two threads in one. The first post matches the thread title and shows an interesting rover video. I found it a little disorienting to try to watch it. For a video i think they need a little better flow between the images.

The second post is what really interests me, the water on Mars, that's almost like a second thread topic that's not even mentioned in the title. I found that video fascinating. It seems to be evidence of liquid water and as we know wherever we find liquid water on Earth, we also find life.

That location may be an interesting site for a future probe to explore.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Nice post
thumb's up 2U amigo

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Bumping it.

You beat me too it.

Where are the ALiens on Mars folks now?

I saw an interesting thing that NASA is working on. A hot air balloon to fly around Mars. excellent idea.

F&S

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Some member send my this private msg, dont know way he did not post here ..

I cant find what he see or maybe I cant understood him.. o0

"From 1m45seconds on the video something intrigues me. Watch the horizon, the hills, dark marks, same direction yet the foreground changes? yet the direction stays more or less constant. If you were traveling in the direction of the hills you would notice the foreground as it approached from the distance yet it changes significantly."

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dalke07
Some member send my this private msg, dont know way he did not post here ..

I cant find what he see or maybe I cant understood him.. o0

"From 1m45seconds on the video something intrigues me. Watch the horizon, the hills, dark marks, same direction yet the foreground changes? yet the direction stays more or less constant. If you were traveling in the direction of the hills you would notice the foreground as it approached from the distance yet it changes significantly."

yeah, i noticed to, but maybe there was some photos that where taken on a step way root from some unstable soil or sand i don't know. I wonder what's in these will's?? hum...fishy fishy

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
o0ps
edit on 13-10-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Interesting that the images are not in color....hmmm

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
WE PUT WALL-E ON MARS? WE HAVE TO SAVE HIM!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

The mars rovers do not have color cameras on board. Any of the “color” pictures you see are either “colorized” by people here on earth, or are composite shots where they take the same picture 3 times with a Red, green, and blue filter in place. These images are then superimposed to recreate an illusion of a color photograph. The shots on this video are only the “horizon” shots the rover took each day so there was no attempt at the “artificial color” method of using the color filters.

****EDIT

The next rover to go up will indeed have full color cameras, and if I am not mistaken they will be full color video as well. There is also a plan to put a camera built by James Cameron based on his 3D camera he made for "Avatar" on a rover. This is a mini version of this camera in full color 3D. It was slated for This next rover, but has been moved to a later mission.
edit on 15-10-2011 by byeluvolk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join