It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are DWI and DUI's even a crime?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Before I go on my schpeel I've been thinking a lot about this as of late. For no particular reason really, I have an acquaintance who is facing a DWI charge and that slightly got me thinking. It was more of a slight question to myself to being with, and eventually becoming something more of a nagging doubt.

Are DWI's and DUI's even a crime?

Think about it like this, a man hasn't killed anyone yet or caused any personal property damage, or for that matter any harm to anyone what so ever. But he is arrested. For no given reason then he has a propensity towards such actions. It wouldn't be right and people across the nation would be up in arms over this.

And yet this is essentially the same thing as a DUI or a DWI. Now I'm not going to begin to deny the very real damage caused by drunk drivers. It can strike extremely close to home. I personally have a friend that has been missing his left leg since he was nine years old due to a drunk driver. But the point still stands, isn't this just Pre-Crime?

No crime has actually been committed, no harm has actually been committed, and no damage have actually been committed. So what is the crime? I'm extremely curious as to how others feel about this. Because to be honest after thinking for a good long while, I just couldn't come up with any actual crime that it would be besides a pre-crime.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
its a violation of a government agencies privledge policy.

driving isnt a right they say..

what i want to know, is can you get a dui or dwi if you are only using park assist on a car? I mean.. its parking for you.

you can get a dui in some states just for being within 50 feet of your car with your keys.
edit on 12-10-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Awolscout

He was arrested for endangering everybody else on the road, including himself. You don't have the right to get into a 2000 pound hunk of metal that can go 100MPH, drunk and expect society to not make laws that prevent that.

Yes they are a crime and drivers who drink and drive should have their license removed for at least 1 years minimum. To ever defend somebody who drinks and drives is deplorable and honestly quite alarming.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
its a violation of a government agencies privledge policy.

driving isnt a right they say..

what i want to know, is can you get a dui or dwi if you are only using park assist on a car? I mean.. its parking for you.

you can get a dui in some states just for being within 50 feet of your car with your keys.
edit on 12-10-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

It's true I know that here in Virginia that's the case. Even if you're inside of your vehicle with the keys it's an instant DWI or DUI charge. Hell even if you've already called a cab or are waiting on someone to pick you up and are getting something out of the vehicle it's a DWI or DUI charge.

There have been instances in this county where cops will sit there and wait for someone to get near their vehicle in order to get them with a DWI/DUI instead of a Drunk in Public. Which actually raises another question. How is being Drunk in Public a crime?

But you are absolutely right in what you insinuate, how is operating a privately owned piece of property a privilege and not a right?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

He was arrested for endangering everybody else on the road, including himself. You don't have the right to get into a 2000 pound hunk of metal that can go 100MPH, drunk and expect society to not make laws that prevent that.

Yes they are a crime and drivers who drink and drive should have their license removed for at least 1 years minimum. To ever defend somebody who drinks and drives is deplorable and honestly quite alarming.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

I'm not arguing that it's not wrong. But what is the crime?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

You are endangering society at large. You don't have the right to endanger other people because of your stupidity and bad decisions.

I'd much rather police get drunk drivers BEFORE they kill somebody. These sorts of crimes are about prevention, not prosecution after the fact. Sure some people the raw end of the deal, as in anything else, but driving while inebriated is a crime and should be.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I see your point, however, if they had been driving and DID kill someone then they would be charged with vehicular manslaughter or something of the sort. In this case being charged while driving and influenced acts as a deterrent or attempt at one.

I've noticed that when they drive under the influence once with no problems, people tend to do it again. And again.
Kind of playing Russian Roulette with the road and everyone else on it.
A crime in my book...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
A conviction on either of these charges in the US is enough to keep you from being allowed into Canada. Seriously, look it up. Canada immigration will not allow you to enter the country if it shows up on your record.

Kinda harsh in my opinion but hey, I'm no legislator.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by buskey

Same thing in Canada, if you have a DUI you can't get into the states without a pardon.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

lets make this personal - lets imagine that you are standing outside the airport / train station / school / " where ever " and the viehicle that you hope will convery you to your next destitination arrives [ be it a taxi , hired limo , bus , car driven by freinds or familiy members / " who-ever / what ever "

BUT

as it drives towards you it swervers erratically - and even mounts the kerb as it stops

the driver gets out - obviously drunk / intoxicated - and even falls over while attempting to help you with your bag

assuming you dont know how to drive , so cannot take charge

the 64k question is :

will you get in , and if not - why not ?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

In many states having a blood alcohol above a certain limit is a crime. For instance, in Minnesota, where I live, you cannot blow a .08 or above without being charged for a crime. When you accept a driver's license from a state, you are also accepting any of the vehicular laws that are attached to driving, and while driving in a different state, you are also accepting the vehicular laws of that state as well, that's all part of implied consent.

So to answer your question. Being drunk and driving a car is a crime in many states. Causing property damage, or harming/killing someone else with your vehicle are additional crimes.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yes and they are ssevere in punishment. I understand the point you are trying to make as no harm has been done yet tho. I personaly have pulled over at a church parking lot one morning to sleep off a rager, and a cop wakes me up tapping on my window. Gave me a public intoxication charge, here i am trying to do the right thing, anand it cost me big. My state if you are convicted of of a crime that is alcohol or drug related automatic probation ,classes yabbayabbayabba. That is why i have no sympathy for police officers. Some people try to do the right thing at get nailed to the wall. However, as I am someone who's life has been affected by the deatth of a family memeber to the hands of someone who was drinking anddriving, yes dui should be a crime.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
depends where you live?
yes that was a question, what country do you live in?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

Reckless endangerment?

If I, my wife or my sons and their wives are travelling on the roads, even if only going out to pick up a few groceries. I'd much rather that there isn't a drunk behind the wheel of an oncoming car.

The same applies to the right of a citizen to fire off a few practice rounds with his newly bought hunting rifle, as long as it isn't into their neighbours house.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

I've got bad news for you, having a drivers licence is a privilege, not a right.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Myendica

I've got bad news for you, having a drivers licence is a privilege, not a right.

That's right, and when you sign the dl you are agreeing you will obey all rules contained within

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

A man may not have YET caused harm or damage to anyone or anything YET. However Alcohol and Drugs do impare your driving ability whether we innerly wish to admit this or not ( I dont know anyone who drives while intoxicated admit they are intoxicated). Consider this man you speak of lucky he has not yet killed, disabled or damaged anyone or thing YET. A DWI, or DUI is easy if you think what could had happened. Yes it is illegal as it should be.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
When our parents were young and cops still were on the "protect and serve" thing a cop would give you a ride. Now it's a huge money maker. These examples of falling down drunks behind the wheel are an hilarious over-exaggeration compared to the law. We wouldn't need breathalyzers to determine "drunk" if the "limits" were actual, normal, limitations of coordination. .06, .08, blood-alcohol is just a way to screw more citizens...

It started in the 80's and became an emotional law. Stop using your brains and open your hearts to tyranny!

Not to worry though. DUI/DWI is down 30% recently. The cops don't think it's because we're better people though. They think it's because we can't afford to go out anymore so we all jut sit at home and drink now.

Down 30%

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
So because you didn't cause damage or kill anyone the frst time, are you going to wait until you do? No one should drive drunk period!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Now more people are killed by sober drivers. That should be a life destroying crime too, right?

Check it before you wreck it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join