It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Item thats Never mentioned.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Hi all
just a short thread on something thats missing from b.o.bs

Like most people i like survival , being outdoors able to take care of oneself and family in a shtf situation which ever that maybe ( i wont mention any recent comets lol ) .

I have over the years collected various items knives, meds , stoves ( far too many stoves lol ) fuel , silver , food water etc. etc. etc. now there is one thing that isnt mentioned and its in every household bathroom and imo is a vital part of any survival kit ..

i was going to insert a picture here but not available again !!

Toe nail clippers ,

everything would be fine and dandy with all your kit but imagine after 2-3 weeks nails start digging in to skin, infection , cant walk . you no the deal
pain and problems thru a simple thing like a toe nail . and no means to trim.

just thought i would add this as its never mentioned , hope it helps save many a toe lol

any other small items that should be listed please feel free to add

peace

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
save weight. learn yoga. bite them suckers.

Another thing (though not that critical) is a good ol wind-up manual wrist watch.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

hahahaha imagine the taste yum a bit like marmite with a tad more zest lol , as or the watch im currently looking for one after ive replaced the dud battery in my suunto

peace

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by periloustimes

multi tool has fiskar scissors - first aid kit has scissors and shears - why do i need toe-nali clippers ???

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Don't know where you're going to go with that lot , ie wouldnt a pair of scissors suffice . There should be a pair good enough for toenails in the first aid kit .

Some kind of anti-fungal solution is maybe more important for toes/ feet on the move , including blister treatments and loads of spare socks. A water proof pair of socks each , grade a quality . A tube of waterproofing nearly essential along with good strong mil issue high boots . A pair of gaiters are indispensible in uk countryside too . All this is considerable expense , just for your primary transport systems . I am sure op has most of this .

Other than above thinking , "kill two birds with one stone" at every turn possible . And KISS ; " Keep It Simple , Stupid ! " is another golden rule of survival kit .

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
People often seem to forget *books* -- and I'm not talking military or survival manuals; I mean like novels or history or something to read while you are sitting there in the middle of nowhere waiting for the apocalypse to blow over. Got to keep yourself sane, you know? Or board games. Or, if you have kids, something to amuse them...non-electronic of course. And paper and pen. You might have plenty of time on your hands to write the Great Post-Apocalyptic Novel...or simply keep a journal.

Tend to your mind as well as body!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Great ideas , and when they walk out of the house with no kindling , voila !

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

It was one of the first things I put in our bags. I may throw out everything else before I toss the clippers. I even keep a pair in the medical kit.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Well it doesn't have to be all non-electronic. I'm pretty sure you can scavenge up some AA batteries during the apocalypse to play a classic gameboy.

But Yeah I agree with this, books and some entertainment. Though it can depend on what your survival approach is, after you might not have time to sit down and read up book, what with all the to busy surviving and all that.

Oh I would like to add a tool kit to the list. Hammer, screw driver, nails, ect ect. It'll make it a lot easier to build a shelter that way. Just my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
save weight. learn yoga. bite them suckers.

That's my party trick! Seriously. It isn't that easy for most though, otherwise it wouldn't draw the 'oohs' and 'ahhs' of impressed awe that I recieve...not to mention that some people would rather die than chew on a piece of their own body...probably better, if you are carrying a knife anyway, is to make a nick in the side and then pull the rest of the nail off carefully.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
People often seem to forget *books* -- and I'm not talking military or survival manuals; I mean like novels or history or something to read while you are sitting there in the middle of nowhere waiting for the apocalypse to blow over. Got to keep yourself sane, you know? Or board games. Or, if you have kids, something to amuse them...non-electronic of course. And paper and pen. You might have plenty of time on your hands to write the Great Post-Apocalyptic Novel...or simply keep a journal.

Tend to your mind as well as body!

Lets not forget a deck of cards.. Poker anyone?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Yeah toe nail clippers are definetly one of the important items in my BOB.

Check out a thread I started awhile back. Its about all the things people forget to put in their BOB

Bet you didnt think about THAT!!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The scissors on my SAK or my multi tool would easily suffice and if they were to break or become unusable, a sharp knife with a soft touch can always suffice. Toe nail clippers arent exactly essential, I think thats why they arent seen on any BOB bag lists or talked about often.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think something over looked is hearing and eye protection. Ear plugs and safety glasses don't weigh much and are inexpensive. Sunglasses are another viable option for eye protection depending on climate.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Good Point! However, I use the the awesome scissors from my little leatherman micra. www.leatherman.com... to tend to that task. Not as ergonomic as clippers for the task but they work.

You do raise a great point about the importance of maintaining your feet while out in the Bush though. There have been plenty of times when I have headed out without first attending to the toe nails. Not good!

I also wear poly pro sock liners with my smart wool or wool hybrid socks when going out for the long haul. Keep them dry, happy and friction free.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
this one is quite handy :

imagine the possibilities...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by vatel

Ingenious!!!

Now thats what you call toe nail clippers

I swear those would be harder to use than normal ones though, good if you have severe back problems I suppose

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I never see anyone mention large rat traps.

They are very inexpensive... so why risk having to build your own traps?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I've always trimmed mine with my pocketknife. Why should I waste space and wt on such a limited use item.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by vatel

Good Lord, who did they use as the model for that toe nail clipper extension kit... Bigfoot?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join