It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand guns are now banned in California.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
www.dailytitan.com...

According to the Los Angeles Times, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill that will ban the public display of hand guns in California starting Jan. 1. Unloaded, long-barreled guns are excluded. There has been a national trend toward firearm leniency, as 42 states have laws that allow the open carrying of unloaded handguns. On the side supporting the ban, police in the Bay Area have complained that instead of chasing the real criminals, they receive calls from panicked customers at Starbucks about gun enthusiasts who gather at the coffee shop with their pistols on their hips.

Man, gun laws don't really work for they? I mean what can Jerry brown do?

edit on 12/10/2011 by Sauron because: internal quote tags to external quote tags

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
www.dailytitan.com...

According to the Los Angeles Times, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill that will ban the public display of hand guns in California starting Jan. 1. Unloaded, long-barreled guns are excluded. There has been a national trend toward firearm leniency, as 42 states have laws that allow the open carrying of unloaded handguns. On the side supporting the ban, police in the Bay Area have complained that instead of chasing the real criminals, they receive calls from panicked customers at Starbucks about gun enthusiasts who gather at the coffee shop with their pistols on their hips.

Man, gun laws don't really work for they? I mean what can Jerry brown do?

Do we need any more proof that Jerry Brown is a moron? Or that the people of California (the patchouli-loving, kumbaya-singing, granola heads of California) are equally retarded?

Getting calls from citizens wetting their pants because they see someone with a holstered handgun isn't a legitimate excuse for this type of firearm legislation. The way the article read, you'd think that a panicked citizenry was calling 911 every ten minutes.

No, this is just a lame excuse for "progressives" to water down the 2nd Amendment, which is something they've been frothing at the mouth about for decades. If they want to reduce gun crime, maybe they should start reporting all of the illegal aliens that belong to gangs like MS-13 (excuse me, undocumented workers who belong to activist social clubs,) that shoot up the barrio every night in order to protect their drug trade.

It's not the law-abiding gun owners Californians need to worry about. Gun laws such as this only keep weapons from law-abiding citizens - CRIMINALS DON'T CARE ABOUT GUN LAWS!!! When are they going to get this through their thick skulls?

Their stupidity is astounding, and I'm dumber for just hearing about it.

edit on 10/12/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
LOL

Tell that to the gangs in california.
Dumb a$$ politicians.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Hand guns ARE NOT banned. DISPLAYING them openly is. You can still buy and own them and get a CCW permit to carry.

www.dailytitan.com
""...a bill that will ban the PUBLIC DISPLAY of hand guns..."

Thread title is absolutely misleading.

edit on 12-10-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda v. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491 "The assertion of federal rights, when plainly and reasonably made, is not to be defeated under the name of local practice." Davis v. Wechsler, 263 US 22, at 24 "The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. US, 230 F 486, at 489. There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of this exercise of constitutional rights." Sherer v. Cullen, 481 F 946. Supreme Court rulings. I guess Jerry Brown didn't get the memo

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazloFarnsworth
Hand guns are not banned. DISPLAYING them openly is. You can still buy and own them and get a CCW.

There's nothing in the Constitution requiring a CCW. The very idea would have been laughed out of the Constitutional Convention had it even been brought up. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Requiring a CCW of a law-abiding citizen is an infringement of that right.

The ONLY stipulation I'm willing to make as far as gun control goes (beyond not allowing the mentally ill or felons to possess them) would be a mandatory firearm training.safety course. That's it.

Let the lawsuits fly now. I'm pretty sure California can afford it.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Open carry is banned, and there's already a thread on it. Hand guns aren't banned. What's with the title of the thread? Did the OP even read the article he posted?

edit on 12-10-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Agreed. Its just the thread is titled that they are banned...as in altogether. It would have been nice if the OP READ what he quoted and posted a less misleading title.!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
And also I think the OP didnt understand that it meant OPENLY DISPLAYED ON THE HIP hand gun CARRYING is banned.

Not buying or carrying them concealed legally.

PS I agree with open carry laws too even tho I have a CCW permit.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

They can't and if they do, screw em, its our right as humans

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

Agreed. Its just the thread is titled that they are banned...as in altogether. It would have been nice if the OP READ what he quoted and posted a less misleading title.!

In fairness to the OP, T&C requires that the headline be copied exactly.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
probably more of a starbucks sponsored law as there could be potential customers (especially foreign tourists) walking past the shop due to a bunch of men standing outside talking guns making them nervous and going to a competitor

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I think the next time I go to California and have a hankerin' for some Starbucks, I'll sling my unloaded (therefore legal) SKS over my shoulder and watch the fur fly as the panicked flower children hit the floor and hit their speed dial button for 911 while I order a double espresso (and NO, I don't want any foam or sprinkles.)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Hand guns ARE NOT banned. DISPLAYING them openly is. You can still buy and own them and get a CCW permit to carry.

edit on 12-10-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: (no reason given)

While California has a concealed carry law, the Sherrifs are still refusing to give them out unless you carry money for a business or are a celebrity. There excuse was this law that you could carry openly, so now that the law has changed, they better start handing them out.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

So if open carry is banned, is concealed carry allowed or is it also banned? If it is also banned where do the homeless keep their firearm? Being homeless does not allow for the rescinding of you Constitutional Rights. As for carry conceal permits it serves only two purposes, revenue stream and registration, so they can come get them when ready. The criminals figured that out, why can't the law abiding citizen?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Christian, Gun-loving and conservative. You're as much as a stereotype as those Granola eating hippies like me just on the opposite end of things.

Why are your opinions any more valid than those who hold the opposite view?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

His view is the lawful one that is why. The overly sensitive thinking in Cali has caused a knee-jerk reaction. Seriously open carry is a bit more shall we say open. No surprise, you can see who has and doesn't have a gun. So a new law gets implemented because peoples sensabilities are hurt??? These gun owners were not breaking any laws, but a new "feel good" law gets put in place. It's all good until they pass a law restricting something else equally draconian.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Hey i own a 20 gauge single shot..Its a old Winchester and yes it has rust on it as well ...I haven't shot it since i got it almost a year ago..well i picked the gun up the other day and it fell apart...How will i know if the firing pin is still any good without shooting it..The gun is back together now..Any answers to how i can tell if the firing pin (trigger) is any good without shooting it..

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It is just some stupid americans thet see some one with a gun
IN a gun HOLSTER so they call the police.
and THEM just wont to control every thing!

if you see some one with a Gun in his HAND
then you call the police.
and look to see if they have a Badge first.

woman"hello police? I have just seen a man shooting a gun"
cop"ware are you?"
woman"at the gun randge" DUH!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Actually, prior to this the handguns had to be unloaded to display, so the new rule bans the display of unloaded handguns. Apparently people were too frightened of unloaded guns and need to be mollified. (Yeah, I know there is no such thing as an unloaded gun, but THAT was the law as written.)

Although technically you can get a permit to carry concealed in California, effectively you cannot. That is because California is not a "shall issue" state. Police Departments have the final say and they normally say, "No" to applications for CCW permits. It is very very rare to find anyone with a CCW in California. Citizens in California are defenseless.

The odd thing about alll these California laws is that they do nothing to deter crime. If you comapre California violent crime statistics to other states, you readily see that the violence level in California is far higher than in many "shall issue" states. Yes, of course there are "other factors," but the point is that the laws are not working.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join