It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domestic Violence Law Repealed By Lawmakers In Topeka, Kansas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Topeka has had at least 35 reported incidents of domestic battery or assault since early September. Those cases are not being pursued, and as of last Friday, 18 people jailed have been released without facing charges, according to Topeka police. Prosecutors and police have refused to discuss details of the cases out of concern for victims' privacy, making it difficult to assess in what situations suspects aren't being prosecuted.

Ohhhkay, so if I wish to beat my husband we need to road trip to Kansas....
Actually this is a direct assault upon women. We have spent Years trying to get the courts to protect us from the men in our lives. Now its all over, thanks to the budget cuts.
Nice, keep the corporations welfare and the uber rich tax cuts and let women and children take a beating...literally.

And Why is it only an misdemeanor?

County commissioners said Taylor decided independently not to prosecute misdemeanor cases, and that all county departments are taking cuts.

source-hufftingtonpost

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

Unfortunately, many of the folk who believe in these budget cuts have a solution to suggest.
Get a gun.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
My ex wife was charged with domestic violence. How is this targeted toward women?
Hey, at least ya still get to vote! Look at the bright side

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

You have no idea the number of lives ruined by these domestic violence laws.,12 years ago my first wife called the police when i walked in on her and her boyfriend in bed together.I came home a little to early and all i did was yell a little bit but left immediately and after i was on the road she called me and said she was going to ruin my life and make sure i never came back.The next day i get a call from the sheriff saying i had a warrant out for my arrest for domestic abuse.The da of the very small town in Iowa told me it was no big deal and if i plead guilty it was just like a traffic ticket and i wouldn't lose any of my rights.Well i lost my gun rights an after 12 years am 5 classes away out of 26 dv that they made me do.I will get these charges expunged and get my gun rights back when i am done it ruined my life.These laws are used most of the time to ruin mens lives.Good for Kansas.Women want all the equal rights but won't take responsibility for what happens to them.My opinion is if you are dumb enough to stay with a man that beats you I guess you aren't smart enough to deserve equality.I couldn't get a decent job,get a gun and was even denied access to the master Gardner program in AZ where i live with my wife of 9 years.It is completely ridicules that this still goes on.They have castrated all men in this country and made them a bunch of pussies,and believe me this-is completely on purpose.It takes a phone call and someone is going to jail and 99% of the time it's the man.Please research this topic and i think you will see how messed up the dv laws are and the consequences that occur as a result.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
My mother worked for a domestic violence program for 3 yrs, after working in a halfway house for victims for 2 years she was promoted to coordinator for her area.
In her new role she worked with the worst of the worst cases, women and children who were literally beaten within an inch of their lives, in some cases on several occasions by the same man.

The conviction rate for offenders was ridiculously low, normally because of the fear and intimidation the women felt when put in front of the attacker in court if they even got to court that is. The women were normally so messed up and degraded they still thought they loved the perpetrators and actually defended them.

This is one of the worst kinds of violence in my opinion and the worst part isnt even the physical harm but the emotional and mental harm which only the strongest women manage to overcome.
In many cases the children of this sort of upbringing will also grow up to be either offenders or victims themselves.

Due to the things she has seen and heard my mother actually had a breakdown and has been unable to work for over 12 months now.

Victims of these crimes need to be defended and offenders need to be locked away for good!!
Seriously society is better off without people who can do this to their families, if they can do this to the people who love them I doubt very much they care 1 iota for the general public and they should never see the light of day EVER again.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
We all know what you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothin, shes already been told twice
Hey, if you can joke about beating your husband, we can joke as well.

Absolutely appalling and disgusting...... but it did make me laugh.

Perhaps not the most appropriate thread for this joke but I am a believer that you should be able to see the lighter side of anything.

If this thread picks up some steam I reckon you may be in for some seriously nasty comments shortly

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

So you can make a comment that one can only assume as a joke but I may not? As you might have read my earlier post I am a "survivor" of a DV and it goes both ways! Luckily this man hating thread proba- errr wont pick up any "steam" and if it did bring on the comments!!!!!
edit on 12-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: spellin

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by earthship35

I find that pretty damn hard to believe, you walked out immediately? Not buying it.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
In a way I think this is a very good thing. It means less intrusion in our lives by laws that, while made to protect women, also take away their will to defend themselves because they think the courts will do it for them.

I was inderctly involved in a situation not too long ago where a minor female called the county sheriff, because there is no police force in the town where this happended, and said that an older male member of her family hit her. The Sheriff's got there and looked at her, saw no bruises or scratches whatsoever, looked at him, talked to them both, looked at her again and said."You know what ? If you ever call us again on a false claim such as this, we're taking YOU to jail. It's obvious that he never hit you so consider yourself lucky that we don't charge you for false reporting. If there isn't a gun involved. Don't bother us."

And in my opinion, that's the way it should be.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The da of the very small town in Iowa told me it was no big deal and if i plead guilty it was just like a traffic ticket and i wouldn't lose any of my rights.

Do not blame the laws because you were "stupid" enough to plead guilty to something you did not do!
I use the word stupid because you used it to describe women not leaving men who beat them.

The jokes from the other poster are fine...at first. Let's not get carried away.
My joke of beating my husband is obviously a joke, very few women have the body strength to beat a man.
However, women with two black eyes are unfortunately all too common place. And should really not be joked about.

We need these laws to protect the children and the broken spirited women, whom as another poster pointed out, are taking the beatings and believing thats love.

Thanks to all who have posted. I found this article to be reprehensible, even tho I have guns, I find it would be difficult to shoot someone you love even if they were beating me... beating my kids are another story...shoot first in that senario

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
So, the reason for doing this is to save jail space? Here is some insanity for you- they will arrest you if you have a joint, but if you hit your wife it is okeydokeyfine. This, my friends, tells you the priorities of law enforcement. They do not care about people, the only care serving their masters, in this case that would mainly be big pharma, law enforcement unions, alcohol manufacturers, et al.

When are we going to get together and stop the insanity? Quite literally every person who works for government in any fashion needs to be fired. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

We all know what you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothin, shes already been told twice

Excuse me? WTF is wrong with you.

AS a victim of domestic violence I find this joke disgusting and sick. DV is NOT a joking matter no matter who is on the receiving end. There is NEVER a reason to hit a man or a woman.

I know men who have been the subject of DV from their partner and not only did they have to deal with that but the ridicule from cops and others because a woman was abusive.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I saw this on my FB feed and was disgusted...

All to save money! WTH so someones life isn't worth saving?

I was in an abusive relationship for two years and it's not easy to deal with or talk about while involved in one. It's something nobody can understand unless they have been in one.

This is just sick. There are so many things they can cut, this is not one of them.

I hope nobody dies as a result of this but sadly that is what will have to happen for it to change.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Excuse me? WTF is wrong with you.

AS a victim of domestic violence I find this joke disgusting and sick. DV is NOT a joking matter no matter who is on the receiving end. There is NEVER a reason to hit a man or a woman.

I know men who have been the subject of DV from their partner and not only did they have to deal with that but the ridicule from cops and others because a woman was abusive.

Exuse me? Fist! if you read my posts you would see I too am a victim of a DV. 2nd the joke was made as a reply to HER joking she was going to beat HER husband. 3rd WTF is wrong with you trying to supress anybodies 1st admendment right to freedom of speech? Grow up and learn to take things in stride and know who the hell your talking too before you start a war you WILL NOT WIN.
have an excellent day

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Don't care if you believe me or not.DV is all about disarming men in this country.Please do some research and you will see.If you're wife called the cops on you I guarantee you would be going to jail and then you would be in the system.That was a really crappy reply that lent nothing to the conversation..believe that!!
FAIL

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I saw this on my FB feed and was disgusted...

All to save money! WTH so someones life isn't worth saving?

I was in an abusive relationship for two years and it's not easy to deal with or talk about while involved in one. It's something nobody can understand unless they have been in one.

This is just sick. There are so many things they can cut, this is not one of them.

I hope nobody dies as a result of this but sadly that is what will have to happen for it to change.

Oh now I understand you STAYED in an abusive relationship for TWO YEARS? That explains your ignorance.....

Typical response from a typical person who doesn't have a clue.

You don't know my situation at all so what gives you the right to judge me or make rude comments?

I suggest you mind your business in something you know nothing about.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

reply to post by AllUrChips

Who do you think you are?

Don't tell me what to do.

I dont find that joke funny PERIOD. I don't care who you were responding to.

Sorry I dont find my time in HELL funny nor do I joke about it. Sorry but almost dying isn't funny.

Well I dont care what you think either! If you dont like it dont read it. I dont know who you think YOU are I dont believe you are ANYBODY of relavance. Stay on topic and your time in hell? Laughable you had every right and chance to leave JUST LIKE I DID!!!!!!!!! Quit feeling sorry for yourself no one else does trust me

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join