It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Semi auto sub guns good for survival?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I was kicking the idea around and I believe that an excellent compromise addition of one of the new rebuilt semo auto versions that are out now are perfect.

First off the naysayers will jump in and say 9mm and 7.62x25mm rounds are worthless and not anything to consider for real survival situations. But looking over the present crop of semi auto sub machine gun builds you can clearly see they were chosen by every single participating country in WWII.

The common ones available now are:

Sten of several types
Sterling in several configurations
Soviet PPS-43c
Soumi sub gun
Soumi long gun
Colefire pistol (modern)
Uzi rebuilds rifle and pistol

So for the experienced and owners of these nostalgia sticks, why should I either add one or not add one. I was going to add the new sawed off Soumi pistol because I think that odd configuration of stock will add in value fast even if it never get to the range much. Or the Soumi short gun a model 44 I think.any of the three can take sticks or drums. They all run on uber cheap regular gas. (9mm)

Please only respond if you own or have owned any of the models above. (this is in addition to the rifle and pistol set now.) im not looking for quality ratings because these rebuilds are always a mixed bag. Just if they should be seen as a potential gap bridge in the arsenal and the benefits or drawbacks in survival for these fully proven models.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

If I might add something while I'm watching several other threads tonight, I do own this: Beretta CX-4 Storm

If you're not opposed to a modern 'sub-gun' that has no potential to convert to something more, then I highly recommend this. It's simple in design, reliable and accurate. In short, it's the best firearm I've ever owned and I don't work for Beretta.
Specifically, tear down, as their site shows, is a 2 step process it took me all of an hour to master in darkness. (Guns never jam in optimal lighting when it's easy to fix, right?). It's a solid 9 ring shooter at 25 yards and despite really playing with loads up and down the scale, I could not cause it to misfire or jam.

One additional factor and this makes the CX-4 far superior in my opinion to the PX- model. The CX-4 as a 9mm shoots cheap while using standard issues Beretta M-9/92 series magazines one might already have a stack of for a pistol. They are interchangeable and the mags are a dime a dozen right now at gun shows. 9mm for survival isn't one I'll touch for the raging debate it always seems to spark. However, if I had to bug out with minutes to grab things, I would leave the long guns and grab this.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The Kel Tec Sub 2000 comes in both 9mm and .40, is cheap, is light, and different models take different common magazines. A youtuber named nutnfancy just did a multipart video reviewing various modern sub guns.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 12-10-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
look at the HighPoint 9mm carbine. It's $200 or so. If you are going to pay $400 or so, best to get a $700 M4 and a $150 Ciener .22lr conversion unit. the .22 is great for quiet foraging of small game and snapshooting practice. Since the latter takes about 10,000 rds to learn, from both shoulders as you should do, and 5k rds per year to maintain this skill, the .22 unit saves you 1-2k $ per year, quickly paying for the M4, and you have a far, far superior weapon to any pistol caliber carbine. 127 gr, subsonic 223 rds can be had, for silenced use, making the m4 very nearly as powerful as any subsonic 9mm load, about 300 ft lbs. You can, of course, always have "sonic crack" with full power 223 softpoint ammo and reach 1/4 mile or more, something no pistol load can do half as well at. You can always sell the M4 for more than you paid for it, if you just hang onto it for a year and don't abuse it.
edit on 12-10-2011 by requirement because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

And it folds up for easy storage and discreet transport.

I've been looking for a Sub 2000 that accepts Beretta mags but every shop around says theyd have to order one and KelTec cant promise any availability dates.

It's like theyve disappeared from my region.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
First off, I don't own any of the firearms you have listed,but I believe the 9mm is a perfectly acceptable round to use. Its cheap, widely available and has acceptable stopping power. I personally would not care to own anything that's full auto, but that's my personal preference. Handgun calibers from what I have read, tend to perform slightly better in a carbine type weapon, than in a pistol, so that's not a bad thing. As someone else mentioned with the Beretta CX4 that uses the same magazines that many Beretta pistols use, I like redundancy. In other words, the ability to be able to use your remaining ammo in another weapon of the same caliber, should one fail. I wouldn't count on being able to get more ammo or gun parts if TSHF like so many people on here think it could. The OP's concept wouldn't be my first choice, but you could certainly do a lot worse.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Beretta is $400+, I believe. Why waste the $200, instead of the High Point? That will buy a used progressive Lee Loader, on E bay, enabling you to load 800 or more 9mm's per hour, which can make you enough money to buy a progressive Star Sizer/luber machine, a propane fired plumber's furnace, and some Lee 6 cavity molds. You can make 10k a year casting bullets, at about $20 an hour with this set up.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by requirement

Actually...I paid $500 for my Storm and I saw one at the pawn shop here yesterday hanging for $800. Same gun. CX-4 Storm without the front side rails and a clean top rail. They're pricey....but it's be a real bad way to go to have my last thoughts on this earth be that my gun really was a piece of junk that one moment I needed it to work.

I see we have Hi-Point fans here, so I'm not even going there on specifics to that gun. I'll simply say this... A man told me years ago that the price is something I'll forget about fairly quickly. A bad weapon is something I'll never forget, at any cost. I've taken that to heart and lived by it. It's yet to leave me in a bad spot due to a failure of equipment when it mattered. Beyond that, we all have our own criteria for what is acceptable and why.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Just bought a sub 2000 at a gun show and love it, it shoots 40 cal and came with a glock 10 rd magazine which I replaced with a 15 rd. It is incredibly light, very accurate and folds up. It is a blast to shoot and since I usually carry and shoot a 40 cal pistol I dont need to carry two different cal ammo when I shoot. I did add the stock extension though since I have long arms and it was a bit awkward to shoot without it.

top topics

join