It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$ primary reserve currency internationally, what are the historical corralaries for insolvent countr

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
We are not Weimar Germany as they did not have the primary reserve currency. They did not have monetary hegemony. Since we are the world's reserve currency we have more time to inflate our money supply and devalue the dollar before some other currency becomes the world's reserve currency. So does that mean that the most likely scenario to any fiscal catastrophe is likely to be hyper-inflation, No?

Which historical financail situation is most similar to America's?

1. Zimbabwe Modern
2. France 1500's - 1800's
3. Spain
4. Ecuador
5. Weimar Germany
6. Argentina 2001
7. Iceland 2008
8. Russia
9. Great Britian 1945
10. Greece

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Are you trying to get me to do your homework?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
May I get " Decline of the Roman Empire" for 1000?

Here's a neat example:

The cost to rebuild Rome was immense, requiring funds the state treasury did not have. Nero devalued the Roman currency for the first time in the empire's history. He reduced the weight of the denarius from 84 per Roman pound to 96 (3.85 grams to 3.35 grams). He also reduced the silver purity from 99.5% to 93.5% — the silver weight dropping from 3.83 grams to 3.4 grams. Furthermore, Nero reduced the weight of the aureus from 40 per Roman pound to 45 (8 grams to 7.2 grams).

I think Nero should drive the point home.
edit on 11-10-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well I wonder how the informed Romans prepared? I read where some early warning signs for us facing what happened to Rome were:
1. Credit Default Swaps.
2. Fed Funds Rate. Fed is already at zero.
3. Public Debt/GDP Ratio.
4. Gold/Treasuries Trade. Long gold/short 20+
5. China stops buying Treasuries or starts massive selling. That could hurt their export economy.
6. Failed Treasury Auctions.
What other warning signs could we expect to see?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
your homework?

No but I appreciate any input I can get. There are many members here that are much more educated, experienced and with a higher IQ than myself. I have researched economics for years, its the dismal science and it is complex and you can always learn more.

new topics

top topics

join