It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buffalo, The Invisible Empire and the Eye of a Tiger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This little trip back in time begins with a photograph and caption I came across as I flipped through one of my books:

A new member being sworn into the Tiger's Eye Society in 1922. The society's aim was to combat the Klu Klux Klan. The secret society was known as the invisible jungle and the knights wore black masks and gowns that hid their faces and bodies.

That one blurb was the only mention of the group in the entire book but my curiosity was piqued so I did some searching online. It wasn't the easiest thing to find but I managed to find an article from that time

Visible Republic and the Invisible Empire

as well as a book that I am hoping to get my hands on

Hooded Knights on the Niagra

The above article talks about how by 1922 the Klan had gone west to California, had infiltrated the Midwestern states and was also growing strong in the east. This particular story takes place in Buffalo, NY. The purpose of this post is not to explore the social commentary behind these events so much as shed light on the events surrounding the emergence of the above mentioned society. This is just a peek into a very fascinating story about how deep seeded discrimination was rife throughout this country and not just the south as many would believe. The Klan was a determined bunch and in the wake of the white robed gents storming a few churches......peacefully of course
....scaring the hell out of many a kid and old lady and lighting a fire under the ass of local politics and clergy, the Tiger's eye opened.

From the above article:

Anybody can get a charter for anything and the "Imperial Lair of the Invisible jungle Knights of the Tigers Eye" has recently been incorporated in New York.

A proclamation issued by the "Eye" says:-

"It is the purpose of the Knights of the Tiger's eye to band together in this fraternity of all men who believe in Law and order, supremacy of these United States of America and the betterment of mankind in general. Our aim is to sweep away the discording passions which are caused by religious, political and racial hatred; thereby getting a true fraternal brotherly love between the citizens of our country, regardless of their racial, religious or social standing in the community. To leave to the individual the manner in which he shall worship God, govern his politics and conduct his business." It is certainly tolerant in tone, and therefore may not be a grafting concern; for there is no money in tolerance-the big money is in appealing to the superstitions and prejudices of the ignorant and there is more money in that than even pandering to the vices of men. (highlighted by me)

As proclamations go...this isn't bad
and the newspaper writer had it right on the money. Shame the same thing still applies and much of society allows itself to be led by those who line their pockets with their misery. So far I have only been able to find a little about this group so one can only guess at their membership but I assume it was a colorful bunch.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
That was utterly fascinating and great commentary OP. Looking forward to more of your contributions.

Shades of masonic thought with that proclamation, so maybe that's a clue as you investigate further.
edit on 11-10-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Awesome find! Now there's a group I could even consider joining. As for their statement of purpose

Buffalo was a likely place for such an organization as it was filled with a great diversity of immigrants from both Europe and many from the Southern US looking for opportunity in the industrial North.
Very admirable. Shame they've been lost to history.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Shame they've been lost to history.

or have they........ (que the scary music)

I would love to know more about this group. Was it made up of primarily black men, or was if multi-cultural?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Reading the article Invisible Empire...it stated that the Dr. Mahoney was a freemason in the klan....Didn't realize Mason's were also klan members back in the day...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

In the picture...these men look white....
Interesting question though.....

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Invisible Empire reference found here: Source

"Prominent Southern gentlemen were later cited as state leaders of the Invisible Empire. Alabama claimed General John T. Morgan as Grand Dragon. Arkansas was headed by General Albert Pike, explorer and poet. North Carolina was led by former governor Zebulon Vance, and Georgia by General John B. Gordon, later a U.S. Senator.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
Reading the article Invisible Empire...it stated that the Dr. Mahoney was a freemason in the klan....Didn't realize Mason's were also klan members back in the day...
There were men who were members of both as the klan became more active. The Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Texas started raising warning flags about that association in 1921. Some years later (I haven't been able to find out exactly when), I've heard that the Texas Grand Lodge was the first to explicitly forbid its members from also being KKK members.

Paraphrasing, "I know some of you in this room carry two dues cards in your wallet. I want you to take one of them out right now and tear it up. It doesn't matter to me which one it is, but you can't belong to both."

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

I know some masons who are racist, but it seems like the older crowd who just sticks to their ways because that's the way Daddy did it. If you look at the lessons of masonry and actually take the time to understand them, Racism is the opposite of what is taught. In the first degree lecture, you are told that masonry regards a man's internal qualities and not his external qualities. I can see how a small mind could say that''s just about rich or poor, but in the true sense of brotherly love and friendship, color is not a factor. I bite my tongue since I know where I am. From what I hear, that problem is not worldwide, just in some rural southern areas of the US. My opinion of the Klan is that of intolerance and stupidity. Stereotyping every group that is not white christian, is fodder for idiots.

for your viewing pleasure

edit on 12-10-2011 by network dude because: Augustusmasonicus is a beer hoarder. A crime of the highest level. Justice must be served!!

top topics

join