It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters at the RNC

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by cstyle226
Grady, do you look down upon these protestors?

I do not look down on protestors, per se. I do however, think that the bulk of these protestors are not advancing the cause of freedom. It is their right and as long as they do so peacefully, I have no problem with it.

It is the process that will take place during the convention and the election in November that are the heart of democracy.

To address one of your other posts, you might note that I helped to put Bill Clinton in office. I am an independent. I think for myself. I vote and I am active in causes that are meaningful to me. I have never found it necessary to disrupt society to have a voice in my government.

While I have no problem with protesting, in general, it is the character of these protestors that is noteworthy. Like I said before, it looks like Mardi Gras. These are not the people with whom I would choose to associate, much less influence my political thought.

[edit on 04/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If you're an Independent, why were you so quick to call me a Democrat when I spoke about the two draft dodgers in office?

Protesting is democracy! Without protests, how would we get the message out in this corporate world?

And while you said the protesters are people you would not like to associate with, I would like to remind you, they are Americans.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by cstyle226]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cstyle226
If you're an Independent, why were you so quick to call me a Democrat when I spoke about the two draft dodgers in office?

I didn't call you a Democrat. Bill Clinton is a Democrat, as is John Kerry. That was my point. It is the Democratic Party that is making the issue out of John Kerry's service.

Protesting is democracy! Without protests, how would we get the message out in this corporate world?

Vote at the polls. Vote with your dollars. Write letters to corporate leaders. Write letters to politicians. Organize petitions. These are far more effective than collective temper tantrums.

And while you said the protesters are people you would not like to associate with, I would like to remind you, they are Americans.

Are you sure.

[edit on 04/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You are saying that protesting is a collective temper tantrum, and that these protestors aren't American.

YOU are the problem.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
These are far more effective than collective temper tantrums.

In my view, limiting the ability to protest will eventually lead to the very violence you claim to oppose. Just knowing this one right is available in a democracy has served as the foundation for its success.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cstyle226YOU are the problem.

You don't know anything about me. I just rattle your own convictions because you are unsure of them. When you've walked the planet as long as I have, you'll have a little better perspective of how it all works.

As far as the protesters go, you don't know where these people are from. Fifty percent of them could be Canadians and you wouldn't know it. That's the problem with protests. It's just a mass of people disrupting the important things in life. There's no identity, no accountabiltiy.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
You don't know anything about me, either, champ. Perhaps your brain is rotting. You aren't rattling any of my convictions, only strengthening them. I have traveled the world...I have set foot on every continent except Antarctica and Australia. I know how precious America is and I also know it is in the wrong hands.

And let's not even speak about accountability...

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

In my view, limiting the ability to protest will eventually lead to the very violence you claim to oppose.

I never said the protests should be limited. I also believe that the right to protest vents a lot of steam that could be vented in worse ways. That doesn't mean that these massive protests in New York are contributing to the election process, which is what is important now.

Okay. I'm out of this exchange. Thanks for your support.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The election IS important. On this we agree...and what is really important is removing the Bush regime from power.

Thanks for your support.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join